Bird photography locations

Name
bradley
Edit My Images
Yes
hi guys,
I'm based in the East Midlands area (Northampton) and have just purchased a Canon 100-400mm lens to go on my Canon EOS R. does anybody know of any good spots for bird photography, perhaps some good Kindfisher spots and what time of the year is best to go?

Hi Bradley,

Not my area so can't really help with specific locations. For kingfishers, there are 2 ways. Either pay to go into a hide for the day where someone has already done the work and you can shoot away. You'll get good shots but always know it wasn't all your own work! Otherwise, you need to get walking down the local rivers, looking out for sandy banks where they like to nest and the blue flash as they fly past you at mach 10! Once you find the nest area you can maybe look out for regular perches and fishing points and try and camouflage yourself close by.

We're in the middle of breeding season so now is a great time for them as they are at their most active.

Just please be very aware of getting close to the nests themselves, both from a moral and ethical standpoint, as well as being aware they are schedule 1 birds so the nest sites are protected by law

Mike

One major tip following on from mikes comment is ,look for the crap spots , I.e white streaks on rocks,branches ,buildings etc usually a sign of activity .. and join the rspb reserves all over the u.k once a member it’s free to enter any of them

Even though they are schedule 1 birds finding a stream or a river with them isn't hard. I have a stream 10 minutes away from my house with them. The really hard part is getting close enough to get a good shot especially with 400mm reach.

hi guys,
I'm based in the East Midlands area (Northampton) and have just purchased a Canon 100-400mm lens to go on my Canon EOS R. does anybody know of any good spots for bird photography, perhaps some good Kindfisher spots and what time of the year is best to go?

.... That's a great and very flexible combo and one which I used a lot when I shot with Canon. The Canon 1.4x III Extender works with that very well too but it must be version III to exploit everything which is on offer via electronic communications.

Back