Birds of Australia (open to others)

Name
Richard ~ from Tasmania
Edit My Images
Yes
Bit confused. Can I post a thread here for others to enjoy, add to, critique if they desire?
The prompt says if it's just for sharing post.... (lost the prompt)
Australia has several different wrens. Similar appearance and habits, but very varied in plumage.
male Superb Fairy Wren with grub
p5253438p-dr-jpg.1006521

Two juveniles
pc120415pse1a-dred-jpg.927957

And here's Dad in full song and breeding attire
Some lose that colour, others keep it all year
p1111249pe-dreds-jpg.929559

Please tell me if this isn't the way this forum isn't appreciated or appropriate

Last edited:
Seems you're doing well to me, Richard.

While I prefer seeing raptors and birds of prey, I still appreciate the littler ones.

Seems you're doing well to me, Richard.

While I prefer seeing raptors and birds of prey, I still appreciate the littler ones.
Thanks Craig
How's this then?
p3253386pe1-dr-jpg.879822

Grey (White) Goshawk Accipiter novaehollandiae
This beauty had caught a baby rabbit that was on the ground below it
p3253392pe-dcred-jpg.879821

That'll do for now.
Best not flood the place

Last edited:
Very well done for now, Richard.

Now go out and shoot the big raptors you have near home. Please?

Can I post a thread here for others to enjoy, add to, critique if they desire?
Positively encouraged :)
Love the Fairy Wrens - White Goshawk certainly unusual (for over here), not so nicely posed :)

Positively encouraged :)
Love the Fairy Wrens - White Goshawk certainly unusual (for over here), not so nicely posed :)
Thanks Gramps :)
The Goshawk did a tightwalk from one post to another ON the barbed wire.
Interesting to watch.
I got a few other in the midst.

Bit confused. Can I post a thread here for others to enjoy, add to, critique if they desire?
Australia has several different wrens. Similar appearance and habits, but very varied in plumage.
p5253438p-dr-jpg.1006521

Two juveniles

Please tell me if this isn't the way this forum isn't appreciated or appropriate

Thanks Craig
How's this then?
p3253386pe1-dr-jpg.879822

Grey (White) Goshawk Accipiter novaehollandiae
This beauty had caught a baby rabbit that was on the ground below it
p3253392pe-dcred-jpg.879821

That'll do for now.
Best not flood the place

Two very nice sets of wildlife style captures Richard, liking them all with #1 being my fav'.

Just to confirm most of the image sharing forums are for feedback critique / comments.
As per the main header.

There is of course "photo's for pleasure," a place to post & share, especially if you don't want feed back.
and of course photo's general, where most of the themed / open threads ( show me yours) can be found.

Two very nice sets of wildlife style captures Richard, liking them all with #1 being my fav'.
many thanks George :)
yes those little feather balls are so very endearing.
Their body, no legs or tail, is about the size of a golf ball, so quite small

Just to confirm most of the image sharing forums are for feedback critique / comments.
As per the main header.

There is of course "photo's for pleasure," a place to post & share, especially if you don't want feed back.
and of course photo's general, where most of the themed / open threads ( show me yours) can be found.
thanks Chris
I looked at that and the headers relating to such.
My aim, hope, was that anyone with Aussie birds (native/ endemic birds not ring-ins) would join in and showcase our species.
Is that scenario preferred to be played out in "photo's for pleasure" thread?
Being greener that grass on this site the last thing I want to do is blunder in, throw my stuff about and upset protocol and users in the process.

With apologies to the starter for wandering off track on his thread :p

My aim, hope, was that anyone with Aussie birds (native/ endemic birds not ring-ins) would join in and showcase our species.
Is that scenario preferred to be played out in "photo's for pleasure" thread?

Its all good.
Species specific threads are generally posted in the specific forums,
Photos for pleasure, if you take a look, is very much random subjects, and those not requiring comments.

There is and always has been, crossover type posts.
We are not anal about that type of thing, its no big deal.

You are posting in the right place (y)
As a now retired professional falconer, its great to see some raptors from other parts of the world. Keep'em coming.

Its all good.
Species specific threads are generally posted in the specific forums,
Photos for pleasure, if you take a look, is very much random subjects, and those not requiring comments.

There is and always has been, crossover type posts.
We are not anal about that type of thing, its no big deal.

You are posting in the right place (y)
As a now retired professional falconer, its great to see some raptors from other parts of the world. Keep'em coming.
Thanks Chris

as to raptors. The Americans seem to have and endless supply,
But Sid is well catered for on UK soil.
Around here its pretty dismal.
I do have some older ones I'll post later for those that wouldn't have seen my originals

p5253438p-dr-jpg.1006521

Two juveniles

Such lovely birds and photos Richard, they must be breeding with you about now are they?

Two cracking shots, but love the #2 image looking right at you.
Thanks Dave
Not Australian but a juvenile UK Sparrowhawk who wants to be 'down under' :LOL:

View attachment 403537

:coat:
That's hilarious.
Interesting similarities. Beautiful raptor
From our trip in 2017 - a young magpie

View attachment 403540

and an older bird

View attachment 403541

Howard
They're beautiful birds Howard, with a tune to match.
If they're mainlanders which I think they are (less white), they can be nasty to humans. Recently a bloke had eye surgery following an attack.
For some reason Tasmanian ones are placid. Except against other birds including large raptors
Such lovely birds and photos Richard, they must be breeding with you about now are they?
Thanks Sid

Yes they are. We watched a couple yesterday, or rather the male seemed to be supervising whilst the female had a beak stuffed full of fluff. She flew off but couldn't see where

I really don't care about a basket of your best beer-battered chickadees,
but showing me a raptor, whatever its size, is gonna get a reaction from me.

Apologies to Richard and others, but that's gonna get my likes.
Snowy owls? bring 'em!!
Eagles? bring 'em!!
Hawks? bring 'em!

There's something I can't define about the birds of prey which capture me,
and I love to see the images.

I once saw a Golden Eagle lift off and take flight outside an abandonment I was exploring,
but it happened too fast for me to get my camera ready. It probably had a 7-foot wingspan,
and rustled up a good bit of underbrush as it took flight. It was majestic to watch.

Little Wattlebird,
It is found in coastal and sub-coastal south-eastern Australia.
This has been hanging about for a while and sits about singing its heart out. I assume its all for love as there is another flying about.
Tolerates my presence. Most times they are off if I appear
They have a very distinct and varied call. Part of the Australian way of life to hear them

pa030036p-dr-jpg.1021527
pa030021p-dr-jpg.1021525

Tasmanian Magpie
they are different from mainland ones. More white on back and not aggressive to humans like their mainland cousins
They have a beautiful melodious call and quite something to wake in morning to their chorus outside the house

pa100402p-drs-jpg.1021531

The Eurasian Wren might not be as colourful as some of its Australian cousins, but it's still a beautiful little songbird.

jwren2 by jakeblu, on Flickr

jwren by jakeblu, on Flickr
Yes beautiful and photos of.
I often look at posts of these and think I could live very well with them if I was in their environs
I reckon we'd hit it off very well together :giggle:

Another of our resident male Superb Fairy Wrens
That's a ¾" ID pipe for bird size comparison

p9230950p1-dcr1-jpg.329258

Female
view
The male has a wonderfully striking plumage and as you have illustrated, they are small birds.

TFS :)

The Eurasian Wren might not be as colourful as some of its Australian cousins, but it's still a beautiful little songbird.

jwren2 by jakeblu, on Flickr

jwren by jakeblu, on Flickr
And IIRC their song for the size of the birds syrinx is the loudest of all British birds.

Always a delight when we see & hear one in our garden.

Wraptors, Rens, whatever! Nice to see something different from our UK residents, especially when they're well shot. TFS.

Wraptors, Rens, whatever! Nice to see something different from our UK residents, especially when they're well shot. TFS.
Thanks Gramps & Nod
Happy to diversify :giggle:
I see those warblers are similar in size too

What a fantastic set and how wonderful to have them around you. My nephew and his wife live in NZ. Next time we speak I'll mention these to him. Any chance of penguin photos late summer ?

What a fantastic set and how wonderful to have them around you. My nephew and his wife live in NZ. Next time we speak I'll mention these to him. Any chance of penguin photos late summer ?
Thanks John
I don't think they are found there

Peguins being coastal birds aren't something I get to see.
There's a Fairy Penguin rookery on the coast with walkways but times I've visited not one in sight
But the smell :puke:

Thanks John
I don't think they are found there

Peguins being coastal birds aren't something I get to see.
There's a Fairy Penguin rookery on the coast with walkways but times I've visited not one in sight
But the smell :puke:

My apologies. I meant I'd just tell my nephew that I'd seen your photos and how wonderful the birds are in Tasmania . No...that's correct..NZ doesn't have them. He's a Pro photographer working for companies on advertising campaigns and magazines.. ie..a commercial photographer but thinking about it I haven't seen any wildlife photos taken by him.

Re the penguins. Must be further to the coast than I thought. Yes..I've heard they smell pretty awful...guano,I believe... lol.

Another male from couple days back.
I've many other species from around here but wondering if I'm likely to be the lone ranger.
Maybe just drag all into the birds thread. Just looked. Is there a general 'post birds' thread?
Wouldn't concern me either option
pa120348p-dr-jpg.420445

Last edited:
Couple from a trip to Oz back in 2010....

Log Runner
Log Runner by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Eastern Yellow Robin
Eastern Yellow Robin 01 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

And this was shot at Currumbin Zoo, and I think it's a "Metallic Starling"?
Not Sure what bird this is by Steve Jelly, on Flickr
3 beautiful birds
Steve the last is a Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike
Metallic starlings are all black, both sexes

Our Eastern Robins are such sweet birds.

Log runner. New one for me. I see it's mainland only, excludes me

Back