Birds of prey and hide photography locations in Wales?

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
No
I'm hopefully off to North wales from Devon at the end of the month and wondered if anyone knows of anywhere interesting I could stop along the way for some bird of prey photography or even a hide experience (something I've not done before).

I'm aware of the Red Kite place at Gigrin, it's not open on Thursday or Friday though which may mean I can't get there.

Thanks!

Not exactly north Wales ,or in a hide either . But parkgate on the Wirral is good for birds of prey most of the year .. if you strike lucky the end of the month is around when the short eared owls return to .. my species list from there includes , kestrel , merlin,sparrowhawk, buzzards, s.e.o , barn owls , Marsh harriers , hen harriers male and female . ... if your visit coincides with a high spring tide you could see the lot close in on one day .. the old baths car park is the place to head for there is usually someone around that will tell you what’s been spotted.

B.t.w there is another red kite site in mid wales ... nant-y-Arian where there fed daily you only have to pay a few quid for car parking and it’s over water to.

Or if in north wales the moors around Lyn brenig are also good for raptors

Last edited:
Nant-y-Arian is indeed a good spot for the Red Kites, Gigrin farm is very expensive now and can get very crowded.

There are always Red Kites circling my house in south west wales.

They fly very high in the wild so unless you can get to a paid hide or have an extremely good lens it will be very difficult.

Pop in for a cuppa if you want ,I’m just off the A55 expressway, when you say hide experience do you mean birds of prey from a hide or just any birds from a hide .. as my local mini reserve is set up for close bird photography from two hides . It Seldom gets more than a couple of people at any time

Last edited:
Nant y arion is definitely the best for price and varied views, Also one at Llanduesant near Usk reservoir. Plenty of kites in Carmarthenshire/Ceredigion which oven quarter the ground on the hill tops but no hides.

Sent a message tarmac chaser

Back