Bit of help needed from a PC expert !!

Name
Rikki
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm removing some programs using the add/remove programs thing in the control panel.

There seems to be an awful lot of stuff I dont remember being there a while ago.

What, if anything is it safe to remove from this lot :

programs1.jpg

programs2.jpg

I use my PC for very little other than checking emails, watching the odd youtube video and photo editing. Oh and checking in forums obviously :D

Thats not a lot - mine goes up to 8 pages.

Looking through I can't see anything there that will cause any problems.

Unless you are running seriously short of HDD space, I would leave it alone.

The first one lets you view PDF files in explorer, not vital but see below.
Adobe Reader, I'd get rid of that and install Foxit reader instead, smaller and much less memory hogging.
Gimp, you don't need that if you have CS3 installed, likewise Photofun Studio.
You don't need the Epson user guide (unless you need it?)
I'd lose Realplayer, which is an invasive memory hogging pile of poo and install Real Alternative instead ( http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/real_alternative.cfm )
Turbo Lister? no idea what that is but I doubt it has any real use.

I'd lose Realplayer, which is an invasive memory hogging pile of poo and install Real Alternative instead ( http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/real_alternative.cfm )
Turbo Lister? no idea what that is but I doubt it has any real use.

Unless you like listening to live bbc radio on your pc, in which case, you have no alternative :shake: However, as long as you turn off all the extra RP bits like the message centre and autorun on startup, its not too bad.

Turbo Lister is for listing items on ebay, if you do, leave it if not, get rid.

Tony

Nothing there you can't get rid of safely, though i'd leave all the microsoft stuff at bottom of first page, top of second. PC will run perfectly well without them but they are of benefit.

:agree:

I'd leave the anti virus and the Epson printer software too (assuming you use the printer). Be careful removing Gear Drivers. I'm not sure what it is but "drivers" are for controling hardware!

Why do you want to remove it.:thinking: Are you running short of space on your Hard Drive? I wouldn't remove Photoshop as it's well worth learning to use it. You may regret it later if you do.

Don't get obsessed with clearing out programs. Your PC looks pretty clean really.

If you have a very small hard drive and very old PC it might be worth stripping it down to basics, but otherwise leave alone.

Unless you like listening to live bbc radio on your pc, in which case, you have no alternative :shake: However, as long as you turn off all the extra RP bits like the message centre and autorun on startup, its not too bad.

You don't need realplayer to listen to live bbc radio, at least it works fine for me, via Opera and the BBC iPlayer.

Thanks guys,

The specific ones I wondered about are all the Microsoft ones, (answered above !), flash player/shockwave player and puzzl'em ??

This is my CPU usage :

space.jpg

Thats not your CPU usage. That's the amount of space left on your Hard Drive. You've got loads left, deleting these won't make your PC go any faster, if that's what you are aiming for. I personally untick "Allow Indexing service" as I find this can sometimes slow things down, when it decides to run in the background. It's also a good idea to click on Disk Cleanup and then get rid of temporary Internet files etc, empty Recycle bin, etc.

Maybe most of your drive is taken up with personal files.....pictures/mp3/video if so you could back up some of this onto disk of get your self an external hard drive.

This would free up some space on your main drive.

Del.

Maybe most of your drive is taken up with personal files.....pictures/mp3/video if so you could back up some of this onto disk of get your self an external hard drive.

This would free up some space on your main drive.

Del.

There are a lot of photos and (non MP3) music files on there ! :geek: <-me

How much is an external drive of about the same capacity as my PC ?

Thats not your CPU usage. That's the amount of space left on your Hard Drive. You've got loads left, deleting these won't make your PC go any faster, if that's what you are aiming for. I personally untick "Allow Indexing service" as I find this can sometimes slow things down, when it decides to run in the background. It's also a good idea to click on Disk Cleanup and then get rid of temporary Internet files etc, empty Recycle bin, etc.

You'll have to excuse my incompetance, by CPU usage, I meant space on hard drive :bonk: I'm a computer illiterate.

Thanks for the other advice though (y)

I think i got mine for about 70 pound 2years ago and that was for 150gig but im sure you could get alot more for the money now.

Del

Not much wrong with that lot. Why do you want to get rid of stuff?

If your system is running slow, try ctrl+alt+del and see how many processes are running. Many programs run in the background and dont show up in add/remove progs. Any items you dont undertand, put the filename in google and it'll tell you what program it is associated with. Any that are suspect ... stop the process and download Spybot to permanently stop them running.

Hope this helps

untitled.jpg

Thats your CPU usage.

How you get there is like Gary has already said Ctrl +alt + del

Again hope that helps

Oh by the way, the more you have running, the higher your CPU will be

Jordie

Not much wrong with that lot. Why do you want to get rid of stuff?

Dunno really, boot up seems slow compared to other peoples PC's

My last PC died a terribly slow and painfull death. It was a collection of viruses and it was terribly overweight. I don't want this one to go the same way.

cpusage.jpg

Back