Bit of Macro Help Please

ppp

Edit My Images
Yes
HI guys i have a 18-55 kit lens and a 70-300 as a second lens, i want to do Macro pics of flowers and maybe bugs etc on flowers, i have tripod and remote release was just wondering which lens would be better to use to get the closest and do i set the D50 to Auto, or as i assume Macro mode, or is a manual setup better. Thanks.(y)

I bought a filter that screws to the front of the lens to do that sort of stuff, about £15.00 as I remember, then you can get a lot closer.

ok, i have no money to spend at the moment as someone wrote my car off, what would be my best option with the existing kit i have.

Many thanks

your going to struggle a bit depending on what the minimum focusing distance for you lenses are. I would use manual settings including focusing and try to use as big an f-stop as possible, light levels allowing.

I think you need to experiment with both lenses. If the kit lens has a macro position then use that. It's not true macro, but it will get you very close to your subjects.

Try the longer zoom too from it's closest focusing position. Often you can get good bug and flower shots with longer lenses. You may not get into fly's eyes and bees knees territory, but often close up shots of bugs showing a bit of their surroundings work better than extreme close ups.

If you're using a tripod then auto focus should still be OK for flowers and bugs keeping still, but anything moving and you'll find you need to change to manual focus and it can be maddeningly difficult to get sharp shots, but that's the challenge. ;)

Be prepared to throw lots of shots in the bin for every good one you get. The limited depth of field makes it very difficult.

Not a complete answer for you, but if you have a play with both lenses you'll find what works best for you with the kit you have.

sounds like the best plan of action, thanks.

I have the same body & kit lens and while its fairly close focussing it's not a macro lens.

Dunno what the macro setting on the body is for coz it doesn't change the minimum focusing distance. tbh I think it just sets the camera settings for "macro"

I plumped for the adapter rings Gary mentioned. For £15 I didn't see there was much to loose.

Another option is to reverse the lenses although you will have to do everything in manual mode. You'll also need a reversing ring which I've no idea of the cost of.

Back