Bitten by dog

Name
Skippy
Edit My Images
Yes
Got bitten by a dog on my right hand the other night and cant really hold my camera now...am in Namibia so it's a bit of a pain, am missing out on giraffe and other amazing photo opportunities.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Yep go to hospital and get checked out, they have rabies there, you cant take any risks.

Oh yeah, did that, spent the evening in Namibian A&E, got tetanus and started a rabies and antibiotics course. Hand all strapped up. BIG dog. Managed to chew through an artery so I had blood everywhere hence the hospital trip in the first place.

Last edited:
Definitely get it checked before worrying about taking pics (bit late with that advice and glad alls well)

Tripod or at least something stable to rest the camera on and remote

take a small pillow from the hotel and use that to rest the camera on, hold it in place with the left hand then its just simply a case or pressing the shutter button with the right hand.

I hear that rabies shots are not particularly nice.

Considering where you are, I am wondering whether the only resources you really have available, would be to gaffer/parcel tape the camera to your hand?

leave the camera, just enjoy the scenery, buy a photo book of the animals etc when you get home

rabbies vaccine would be my first choice lol

tripoint and remote release would be the other

Got bitten by a dog on my right hand the other night and cant really hold my camera now...am in Namibia so it's a bit of a pain, am missing out on giraffe and other amazing photo opportunities.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
BIG dog. Managed to chew through an artery so I had blood everywhere hence the hospital trip in the first place.
Pictures!!
At the very least tell us the story while you look through the local papers for an odd-job chap to press the shutter release.

Safari's ain't what they used to be.

If you can't use the camera upside down as Trencheel suggested, try using the timer and hope the shot co-incides with the shutter trip.

When I had my right arm strapped up on a holiday after dislocating the shoulder on the second day, I attached the camera to an unextended tripod and held it against my eye using the useless arm, then reached over to the shutter button with my left hand.

Basically where I'm staying has this big dog thats a bit growly, slow moving guy thats pretty playful but big. He was harrassing a female friend and I called him over to get him out of the garage we were sitting in. He starts following then out of nowhere moving faster than I've ever seen him, just snarls and grabs my hand, gets a loose grip and then chomps down hard.

Blood going everywhere I stand between the dog and the girl to protect her if he decides to go crazy again and start just pushing against him to get him out of the room. He eventually leaves when I realise that there is blood all over the place. Stick my arm in the air to reduce blood flow and call my still shocked friends for something to wrap around it, do so, apply pressure and get a lift to the hospital.

Whilst there I nearly pass out and they check my blood pressure 86 over 50 or something a bit low, I turn green and nearly pass out.

Dog had bitten into the artery and when the nurse cleared the wound she removed the clot and I managed to get arterial spray everywhere. No stitches though which is a small blessing.

Girl feels guilty that I got injured trying to keep the dog from her, but I'm honestly glad it's me and not her.

By the way, no one got photos of bloody floor, no one got photos of my covered in blood, cant get photo of dog before we leave but will check if anyone has some camera phone shots of the dog. The thing really is massive though, it can put its paws on my shoulders and look me in the eye and I'm 6'4

Last edited:
I guess you were unlucky in some ways but lucky in others. A work colleague from a few years ago got in between his dog and another, trying to stop them from fighting. When it was all over and done with, it was only then that he noticed a finger missing off one hand. Never did find it, so it was probably inside one of the dogs.

Basically where I'm staying has this big dog thats a bit growly, slow moving guy thats pretty playful but big. He was harrassing a female friend and I called him over to get him out of the garage we were sitting in. He starts following then out of nowhere moving faster than I've ever seen him, just snarls and grabs my hand, gets a loose grip and then chomps down hard.

Blood going everywhere I stand between the dog and the girl to protect her if he decides to go crazy again and start just pushing against him to get him out of the room. He eventually leaves when I realise that there is blood all over the place. Stick my arm in the air to reduce blood flow and call my still shocked friends for something to wrap around it, do so, apply pressure and get a lift to the hospital.

Whilst there I nearly pass out and they check my blood pressure 86 over 50 or something a bit low, I turn green and nearly pass out.

Dog had bitten into the artery and when the nurse cleared the wound she removed the clot and I managed to get arterial spray everywhere. No stitches though which is a small blessing.

Girl feels guilty that I got injured trying to keep the dog from her, but I'm honestly glad it's me and not her.

By the way, no one got photos of bloody floor, no one got photos of my covered in blood, cant get photo of dog before we leave but will check if anyone has some camera phone shots of the dog. The thing really is massive though, it can put its paws on my shoulders and look me in the eye and I'm 6'4

you can take a photo of your hand now though right?

Thats not a bit low, thats a hell of a lot low, 140 over 80 is considered the norm, you must have lost a fair drop of blood to get it that low, did you have a transfusion?
As others have said my concerns would be infection.

Another vote for a Rabies jab here too...

Oh and since you're in Africa - shoot the bloody dog... We never let the things near us in some parts of the world...

And get a full set of blood investigations done once you are back in the UK . This is particularly important if you were given any transfusions .

Apparently not, I had heard that that was the case but nah, just 5 injections over a month. To be fair, those may be the most painful innoculations I've had and when the nurse walked in with a .22oz needle I thought I was in trouble but that was just for air bubbles. No transfusion luckily, got photo of hand and dog, will upload when not posting from phone.

Back