Black and white attempt

Name
stevie.
Edit My Images
Yes
took this a couple weeks ago in black and white but just wondering what I could have done to improve it overall?

DSC00173-2.jpg

That's a great shot. Good composition, but for my money there's more tunnel than you need to make the lead-in lines work, and it looks a bit spooky. So crop it all round so we can see a bit more of those fun faces - they are the main subject after all.

Then put the colour back. I don't see what mono adds and it looks more like a nice family shot than some arty reportage capture.

That's a great shot, really like it.
Maybe get it moved (dont know if you ask the mods?) to the 'critique' section - might attract more feedback maybe?

Agree, could do with a crop and also agree it should be colour so I guess I am saying I don't like your black and white attempt but like the composition :)

Thanks guy's appreciate the input. Can't put the colour into it as I took the pic in Black and White on the camera, or at least I don't think it's possible to do so.

I can't say (without seeing a colour version) that it should be colour - sometimes I think that the colours can be distracting even where the tones work well.

Can't put the colour into it as I took the pic in Black and White on the camera, or at least I don't think it's possible to do so.
Despite what some people might lead you to believe, if the picture from the camera was a monochrome jpeg, then you can't get the colour back - you will only be able to do this if you shot RAW. If you shot 'RAW' and applied a monochrome picture style or setting in camera, then your computer software might have applied those settings when converting the RAW on upload (leaving the raw data intact) but I suspect that this isn't the case.

You should always shoot colour, and then if you want black and white you can change in photoshop, with more control on levels. B&W on the camera is very basic. So now your stuck with just a B&W

Some things I'd consider are:

Dialing in a bit of exposure compensation so that the woodland in the background is a bit darker.
If off-camera flash is possible, move it off to one side so that the lighting on the girls isn't so flat.

In post production, darken the top of the frame so that the tunnel roof doesn't become brighter as it comes toward you.

Back