black and white landscapes

Name
bill
Edit My Images
Yes
i have been asked to get some images of landscapes but in black and white. i am struggling to find any images that i can convert to black and whiite that look good, obvoisly what makes a landscape image attractive is the colours involved. can anyone suggesta technique that i can use to jish up a black and white image please.
thanks
Bill

i have been asked to get some images of landscapes but in black and white. i am struggling to find any images that i can convert to black and whiite that look good, obvoisly what makes a landscape image attractive is the colours involved. can anyone suggesta technique that i can use to jish up a black and white image please.
thanks
Bill

IMO a subject either lends itself to B&W or it doesn't!

If the scene has a moody look as a result of the weather with dramatic cloud formation or perhaps some stronger variations in light across the whole (I.e. shadows from clouds rapidly changing the lighting in a mountain area?)

Or if there is some contextual difference such a river with an old mill building could look better in B&W rather than colour.

IMO just 'jishing' up an image will not make a colour to B&W image better.........it either has the potential or not to start with!

PS edit- you question got me thinking about some USA pictures I recalled in B&W but just could not recall the tog and still can't :( However, here is one aspect page I found.....not all of those shown IMO work 100% but they are all worth seeing as examples to perhaps 'get you thinking' https://digital-photography-school.com/27-black-and-white-landscape-images/

Last edited:
IMO a subject either lends itself to B&W or it doesn't!

If the scene has a moody look as a result of the weather with dramatic cloud formation or perhaps some stronger variations in light across the whole (I.e. shadows from clouds rapidly changing the lighting in a mountain area?)

Or if there is some contextual difference such a river with an old mill building could look better in B&W rather than colour.

IMO just 'jishing' up an image will not make a colour to B&W image better.........it either has the potential or not to start with!

PS edit- you question got me thinking about some USA pictures I recalled in B&W but just could not recall the tog and still can't :( However, here is one aspect page I found.....not all of those shown IMO work 100% but they are all worth seeing as examples to perhaps 'get you thinking' https://digital-photography-school.com/27-black-and-white-landscape-images/
thanks for the reply, i appreciate the link

Back