Black and white or Colour for Pinhole camera ?

Edit My Images
Yes
I've now ordered the extension tubes and body cap for my recently acquired Praktica PL Nova L ( which I intend to use as a pinhole camera) I am now wondering what in you experience/opinion is best to for use in a pinhole camera, black and white or colour ? Hopefully the parts will come as I'm up at Whitby for the Goth weekend on Pinhole Photography day !

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^

Agree with Woodsy.(y)

Agreed that good reciprocity at slow speeds is the key thing.

There's a handy pinhole calculator here...

http://www.mrpinhole.com/calcpinh.php

Lets you work out the optimum distance for pinhole diameter, and vice-versa, and then tells you the f-number and the sunny day exposure time.

The flange distance on an SLR is quite long (about 45mm), which would equate to a field of view similar to a standard lens. If you add an extension tube, your FoV will become narrower, more like a telephoto. Note that pinhole diameter and distance (= focal length**) both affect the f-number, and there's an optimal diameter for a given distance. So, the FoV you want will determine the optimal pinhole diameter, which gives you an f-number, from which you can work out likely exposure times for a variety of lighting conditions - and then you can see if reciprocity failure is likely to be an issue.

** There is no focal length with a pinhole, because there is no focusing - there is endless depth of field.

Thanks everyone ,much appreciated .

Back