Black Country Museum Folk.

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
We spent most of today at The Black Country Living Museum in Dudley. I took the 1D with 50mm 1.4 attached for the available light shots, and the 20D with the 17-40L attached for the outside shots. Photography was difficult because of the hordes of visitors crowding into the fairly confined exhibit rooms and buildings, but these are some of the ones I've processed so far:-

This character was greeting and chatting to the queue of vistors waiting to get in...

Welcome.jpg

This lady represented a striking/picketing woman chainmaker from a famous strike. She was every bit as fearsome as she looks!

picketing_lady_chainmaker.jpg

The Hardware Shop.... "Fork 'andles?" LOL

Fork_Handles.jpg

The Chemist. "Something for the weekend sir?

chemist.jpg

The Cake Shop. "You can take my picture but I wont smile because they had nothing to smile about in those days"

cake_shop.jpg

The Confectioners (Fantastic smell!)

Confectioners.jpg

Knitting. This lady made us laugh.. "The good old days? I'm just glad to go home at night!" LOL

lady-knitting.jpg

The Fairground. This cheery gent was running the rifle range.

rifle_range.jpg

'Sonia'. This lady represented the wife of a better-off man of the period.. probably a clerk or similar. My favourite shot of the day, and I really must send her the print I promised her.

Sonia.jpg

I've got loads of other shots to process, but I'll give you all a break for now. ;)

Take Me To Your Leader,

I'm not sure who this was.. probably escaped from somewhere.. :D

Take_me_to_your_leader.jpg

Great pics, Cedric - looks like you had a really good day. #1, #3, #6, and #9 really stand out for me!

TFS

(y)

I was in York Museum on Monday which was much the Same CT, but all indoors. There was very little natural light going on, it's actually where i shot Diane going in to that room i shared here last.

The shot of the Chemist, well you have 'chiaroscuro' going on there it's slight, but with some ect pp you could bring it out. It's the triangle of light under his right (our left) eye

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rembrandt_lighting

My example of it
http://www.pbase.com/sean_mcr/image/61300809

The hardware shot, if he'd have been sat lower, you'd have had his face in to the light more, which really does look great looking at his overhauls. A real shame, as that lightning does look beautiful

You've made the light work for you in the knitting shot, spot on.

Those i've spoken of are my favs mate.

Cheers

Thanks Sean... I'll have a look at that. I can't describe how difficult it was at times, I was elbowing PITA visitors out of the way to get a clear view, so they're mostly grab shots. :D

Ahhh Ive never been to the Black Country Museum... even though its right on my doorstep!
There looks to be some very interesting characters in that lot, CT ... I could almost imagine being ticked off as a kid by the 'greeter fellow'

Knitting and Hardware are my favourites.
Dont think much to the authenticity of the lady by the postbox though! ;)

Btw... what is 'chiaroscuro' please?

Btw... what is 'chiaroscuro' please?

Here you go Glo. :)

Rembrandt lighting in photography is a lighting technique that is sometimes used in studio portraiture.
The key in Rembrandt lighting is creating the triangle or diamond shape of light underneath the eye usually furthest from the camera lens. One side of the face is lit well from the main light source while the other side of the face uses the interaction of shadows and light, also known as chiaroscuro, to create this geometric form on the face.
The triangle should be no longer than the nose and no wider than the eye. Rembrandt lighting is a combination of short and butterfly lighting-- and as such it is actually the eye closest to the camera (on the broad side of the face) that should have the triangle of light. The narrow side is illuminated. This technique may be achieved subtly or very dramatically by altering the distance between subject and lights and relative strengths of main and fill lights.

To save me typing i'll paste the info from the link i gave

The key in Rembrandt lighting is creating the triangle or diamond shape of light underneath the eye usually furthest from the camera lens. One side of the face is lit well from the main light source while the other side of the face uses the interaction of shadows and light, also known as chiaroscuro, to create this geometric form on the face. The triangle should be no longer than the nose and no wider than the eye

It's there in the chemist shot, under his right eye.

CT, delete mate;) (i need to refresh more)

Actually Sean you've reminded me of something from my 2 years Art College which is a loooong time ago. ;)

Some great shots there CT. All look very authentic, and I'm sure some of them would look just as good in sepia ;)

Last one. :)

The Grocer's

Grocery.jpg

I much prefer these authentic colours of the period Cheryl. :)

Last one. :)

The Grocer's

Grocery.jpg

I much prefer these authentic colours of the period Cheryl. :)

Which is fair enough Cedric, but shots taken in that period would have been much more likely to have been seen as a photograph in sepia or black and white, so they still would have been authentic as images, maybe more so when you think about it.

But that's not to say that i don't like the colour, i do;)

Hey..........what's Mel Smith doing in No.2? :D

Nice ... I've been meaning to go there and had it on my list for my week off but have been too lazy so far! Maybe I'll pop over this weekend. I'm not really a people shooter so I kinda find some of the background items more interesting. There looks like so much fine detail there to shoot. Horses for courses.

One the whole I'd have to recommend it. The people in period dress were the real attrraction for me. I missed an old time copper with high collar and cape - he buggered off every time he saw me coming. :D

It really makes you realise how far we've come in a relatively short space of time when you look at some of the living conditions. The food and refreshments are a bit of a rip off but what's new?

If you turn up around noon you should miss the mad queues and the crush which builds up around the early exhibits as people spread out a bit.

Thanks for the chiaroscuro link CT (y)
Think I might have to visit this place too, I pass it every couple of days as its by Tesco... theres hardly a day when I dont think 'I really should go there' :bonk:

oh yes, Arkwright is my fave here. People in workplace is always a winner for me. Such a jolly chap. I might have composed him a little less central, but I still like it a lot.
Knitting lady is lovely, great light there. You can't beat available light really.
A nice series.

I think these are very good, well exposed, lovely colours...really amazing to see how life used to be too...would love to see these given an 'old' treatment..

Back