South-West England Blackchurch rock (Devon)

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
What would be the ideal tide height to visit? I'd like just a tiny bit of water on the beach facing the rock. Completely dry I think is a little boring.

I would quite like to get the setting sun through the gap. I hope its possible; would it be a good time to go this time of the year?

The Photographer's Ephemeris suggests around now would be OK for a sunset shot. A shot on the Geograph site suggest low tide is good - https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2190056. Just a matter of getting the right tide; and getting the tide as you want it, at the time you want it, with a good angle of the sun and on a day when the weather gives you the sunset you want could be, 'fun'.

Ah, the joys of landscape photography.

Dave

There is also access and exit from the beach to consider.

If you want a sunset shot through the gaps it has to be at low tide, as you need to be on the 'other' side of the rock. You can't access that side of the rock at high tide.

You're more likely to get a shot through the gaps at sunrise, where you can be on the safe side of the beach.

It very, very rarely lines up in a way that will let you get a shot of the sun through the rock.

Low tide will be too low for what you're expecting to achieve. You'll need something towards higher tides, but not a full high tide.

It's a wonderful location but the direction of the sun and the tide times mean everything lining up perfectly is incredibly rare.

If you want a sunset shot through the gaps it has to be at low tide, as you need to be on the 'other' side of the rock. You can't access that side of the rock at high tide.

You're more likely to get a shot through the gaps at sunrise, where you can be on the safe side of the beach.

It very, very rarely lines up in a way that will let you get a shot of the sun through the rock.

Low tide will be too low for what you're expecting to achieve. You'll need something towards higher tides, but not a full high tide.

It's a wonderful location but the direction of the sun and the tide times mean everything lining up perfectly is incredibly rare.
I agree.
To get to the eastern side of the rock you need to be there at, or near, low tide.
There seem to be very few photos from that side and one I found shows a headland through one of the openings so you may not get the sun descending over the ocean.
The narrow, slot-like openings define the angle that you need to be able to see straight through, which in turn determines the position of the sun.
The alignment will need to be quite critical.
The Photographers Ephemeris and in turn, Google Maps, do not mark the rock position accurately, so you can't rely on them for precise alignment.
Don't forget that you can't park anywhere near the beach and it's quite a trek to get there, and the last bit is quite steep.
I think this idea will take quite a bit of planning, and possibly a recce or two, but the result could be worth it, although s@ds law says you'll be there, all set up and ready for the shot, and the sun will disappear into cloud at the critical moment!

I want photograph Blackchurch rock too, unfortunately I'm in South Devon and it's a whole hour and 45 mins away! maybe one day...

the sun will disappear into cloud at the critical moment!

The grey cloud? It will likely be there waiting for me as always! Yesterday was a nice screw job at pen-y-fan.

I want photograph Blackchurch rock too, unfortunately I'm in South Devon and it's a whole hour and 45 mins away! maybe one day...

Well that's a LOT closer than what I have to travel to almost anywhere half-decent, including this.

The grey cloud? It will likely be there waiting for me as always! Yesterday was a nice screw job at pen-y-fan.
I remember getting all set up for a sunset over a significant geographical feature (according to 'toggers Ephemeris) and watching in anticipation as the sun slowly arced towards the critical point, only to disappear in sea mist a few minutes before the "decisive moment"!
I guess that's the way with the weather in the UK.

I was staying in Hartland at the time I went there, otherwise it's a bit of a run from west London.
South Devon is "local" by comparison.
Don't forget you can't park near Mouthmill Beach, so you need to add "trekking time" to your journey.

As an aside, I'm up on the north coast, if you head up this way at any point, gimme a shout and we'll trek out to the rock together... then back via a pub, perhaps.

Don't forget you can't park near Mouthmill Beach, so you need to add "trekking time" to your journey.

It's not so bad; it's only a 20 minute walk from Brownsham car park, down through some lovely woodland.

Bit upset that some of the woodland had been cut down on my last visit in May. Not sure when that happened as I hadn't been for 18 months prior.

Back