Blackpool International Fireworks 2014

Edit My Images
Yes
Been looking at this event for a while but information seems a bit sketchy.

One web site says "Build up starts at 7pm" which seems a bit early for good darkness at the beginning of September but another gives times between 19:30 and 20:30 which makes more sense.

As far as I can see from previous pictures, it looks like they are set off from the North Pier but some websites say the promenade and others the beach.

Can any togs that have done this before help out with advice on best viewpoints?

Don't know if its like this every year but if it is, my only advice would be get there early. I fancied going a couple of years ago. We were late setting off, the traffic on the M55 was queuing back to junction 3 at 6pm. I turned round and came home :(

Thanks for that advice. I would probably aim to be installed with a tripod and a bag of chips by about 5pm at the latest.

These kind of things are usually a battle of elbows.

I took some photographs from the end of central pier facing towards north pier for the fireworks a few years ago. You can get both the fireworks and the tower in the shot if you are using a wide enough lens. I'd try to get there a bit early as there are loads of people there both on the promenade and pier.

Definitely post up the photos - I've not been able to see the fireworks and Blackpool is my favourite UK holiday destination, will have to back in March before the season starts, might be cold but I love it when its nice and quiet too :)

Blackpool-Fireworks-II.jpg

Blackpool-Fireworks-I.jpg

Blackpool-Fireworks-III.jpg

OK. This is what I got last night.

Just for reference, These were taken from near the South Pier.

I took a look at the pier itself but decided there would be too much vibration from the planking.

If the weather holds I might have another go this Friday.

Possibly from the beach as it's a lower tide.

Weather looks good for Friday so should be there again this week.

Got some ideas for different shots so watch this space.

These are the three I chose for this display.

Less photogenic than the last one with an offshore breeze and low tide which I think it has left the sky a bit bald.

Blackpool-Fireworks-IV.jpg

This is almost a straight single frame, the only thing added is a longer exposure of the big wheel to allow more rotation.

Blackpool-Fireworks-V.jpg

These white fireworks seemed to be the theme of the Austrian display. It also seems that the pyro. engineers tend to think in two dimensions, only building displays for one viewing angle, the promenade.

Given that there are two other piers, I am surprised that neither team has considered that there are thousands of spectators looking side on to their displays.

Blackpool-Fireworks-VI.jpg

This final shot is a composite of bursts from different parts of the display.

So far my vote would go to the Swedish display, the first one, but it will be interesting to find out what the judges think.

My shots were taken from between the Central and South Piers.

First lot from the prom second lot from the beach.

Any closer and the crowds are a problem in my opinion.

That's the longest so far then.

The others were about ten and a half minutes by the looks of the Exif. on my files.

They certainly don't give you much time to mess about. Putting gunpowder into the air is pretty expensive I guess.

Back