100 Strangers Complete!!

Lovely tones in Ting's photograph, but Taffy is a belter. Very confident and proud looking lady and the blue, wonderful. It would have been easy to loose her hair in the blue BG but you've handled it well. The red bandanna contrasts very well with her hair and the BG.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy (y)
On posting them up here side by side, I can't help but think how much of a difference there are in the portraits. Not between Ting and Taffy, that is obvious as they are individuals but more in the overall look of the images. Taffy's is a particular favourite of mine, I love the vibrancy of her hair colour, against what was a bit of a gift of a background given the colour of her hair against the church door colour.

Taffy came across as a very confident, capable and proud young woman, I am glad I was able to capture her spirit in her portrait.

I really look forwards to updates in this thread.
You can see that you obviously connect well with people, everyone looks so at ease, and the mini interviews add so much more to the portraits than you would think 1 or 2 questions could ever do.

I really look forwards to updates in this thread.
You can see that you obviously connect well with people, everyone looks so at ease, and the mini interviews add so much more to the portraits than you would think 1 or 2 questions could ever do.

Thanks Pete (y)
The interaction with the people in my project is equally, if not more important than the photography from my point of view.
I really enjoy the engagement with strangers, I am glad that it shows in their portraits. Thanks again:)

I took the opportunity of another mid week outing with my camera as my work hours allowed it.
I managed to capture a few more strangers the results of which are posted below.

C&C welcome as always.

#48:100 Strangers - Emma
by iain blake, on Flickr

I noticed Emma, or more specifically her bright pink hair wandering around near St Pauls Cathedral but missed the opportunity to ask if she would agree to be part of my project. A little later, near to the Millennium Bridge I saw Emma again and seized my opportunity. Happily she agreed.

Emma is from Norwich but had come up to London with her boyfriend who was now in work. Emma took the opportunity to have a wander around before heading home.

"I love the city. I have been to New York and there are many comparisons to be made. I like the architecture, old against new"

"I live in the here and now. I went through a bad relationship break-up a couple of years ago, I lost my home through it.

I now just take each day as it comes, I am happy to see where life takes me"

Thank you Emma!

#49:100 Strangers - Ivan
by iain blake, on Flickr

Ivan from Norway and is a student visiting London.

"I enjoy typical Norwegian activities - I love skiing, mountain climbing to name a few. That is when I am at my most happiest"

Thanks Ivan!

I took another trip up to London today to continue my pursuit of strangers to shoot for my project.
I felt it was a very productive and successful day, the results of which are posted below. C&C welcome as always.

#50:100 Strangers - Jasmine
by iain blake, on Flickr

Jasmine lives in Camden London.

"My ambition was once to ice skate in Central Park, New York, Ive done that now.

My main ambition in life now is my children, Arthur and Purdy, they are my everything.

"My advice to my younger self?"

"Don't get involved with men too young, don't date men before you are 25, live a life before settling down" Said Jasmine with a big smile.

Thanks Jasmine!

#51:100 Strangers - Alaa
by iain blake, on Flickr

Alaa is a doctor visiting London from Dubai.

"I love art, painting, sculpture, music......."

"My ambition is to become a consultant one day"

"I am a physician who wishes to find the arts in medicine"

Thank you Alaa!

#52:100 Strangers - Tim
by iain blake, on Flickr

I noticed Tim and his girlfriend Na, taking photographs of each other near Carnaby Street, London.

It was his stylish red coat that caught my eye.

Tim is from Vietnam but currently a student in London, studying business as a second degree, his first one being tourism.

"I wish to return to my homeland to help run the family business"

Thank you Tim!

Although I feel slightly cheeky criting your posts, Iain, I have to say that
post 245, 246 I'm not sure what it is, maybe they are a little central in the frame?
They certainly are "characters" but for some reason, its not quite working for me, sorry .

I love the colours in "Jasmine"
Alaa I'm not sure about the gold blob, in the LHS 1/3 nor the lack of head room,
But they are certainly back to your usual high standard IMO (y)

Although I feel slightly cheeky criting your posts, Iain, I have to say that
post 245, 246 I'm not sure what it is, maybe they are a little central in the frame?
They certainly are "characters" but for some reason, its not quite working for me, sorry .

I love the colours in "Jasmine"
Alaa I'm not sure about the gold blob, in the LHS 1/3 nor the lack of head room,
But they are certainly back to your usual high standard IMO (y)

Absolutely no apologies required Chris, i agree, they are a slight departure from my usual composition.

I am not sure what the gold blob is in Alaa's portrait, a reflection from a light or something.
I have been processing my images in lightroom and the clone tool, I find a little clumsy. I want to do as little processing as possible and could have taken it over into photoshop but decided against it and hoped her obvious beauty would distract the viewer from the background ;)

hoped her obvious beauty would distract the viewer from the background ;)
She certainly has a radiant smile and big sparkly eyes that's for sure, but I seem to look past her eyes to gold "reflection"
Maybe as its almost on the same level perhaps?

Tim and Na, although they too are fairly central, I feel that they both "work" better the the aforementioned
Emma and Ivan (y)

She certainly has a radiant smile and big sparkly eyes that's for sure, but I seem to look past her eyes to gold "reflection"
Maybe as its almost on the same level perhaps?

Tim and Na, although they too are fairly central, I feel that they both "work" better the the aforementioned
Emma and Ivan (y)

Tim and Na, I wanted that vanishing point background sort of look, thats perhaps why they work better than the centrally placed Emma and Ivan I think.
This is all great feedback Chris, I welcome it. The main reason for starting this project was to improve my people photography and thats not going to happen without valued comments and critique. (y)

Tim and Na, I wanted that vanishing point background sort of look,
Yeah Having looked again, that's what it is I like it (y)

The main reason for starting this project was to improve my people photography and thats not going to happen without valued comments and critique. (y)
Yeah but I still feel guilty critiquing someone, that I feel is "way above me" in such matters.

I'll quit now before some mod or other tell's us to get a room :D

Just seen your thread for the first time Iain, its a great project. I would never have the confidence to ask a stranger to take their portrait. I think it's what makes me a bit dubious about doing some street photography. I'll be continuing to watch your project grow though :)

Just seen your thread for the first time Iain, its a great project. I would never have the confidence to ask a stranger to take their portrait. I think it's what makes me a bit dubious about doing some street photography. I'll be continuing to watch your project grow though :)

Thanks @Rob E, the difference with my project and street photography is that the strangers are obviously in full agreement to having their portrait taken.
Its more about a friendly approach, making the pitch and hope that they say yes. I have had a few refusals, halfway through the 100, I would say the refusals are still in single figures.
I had just made a post over in the 100 strangers group where these are posted on flickr about that very thing. I have probably developed a thicker skin since doing this project but refusals don't really bother me now.
Whats the worst they can say, no thanks I don't want my photograph taken. I thank them for their time and move on.

Thanks again for looking in Rob (y)

Hey Iain, just letting you know I'm still keeping an eye on the thread.

Have to say it's tempting to give TP style "critique" on composition etc, but when you look at the series as a whole I think this is becoming a really successful project "warts 'n' all". Your interaction with your subjects really shows through in the photos. You can almost tell the people that were "easy" to shoot and the ones that weren't so easy. I saw a documentary by a "headshot" photographer who said he was 10% photographer, 90% psychiatrist. This was America though, so I'm assuming you're only 70% psychiatrist.

If you just stick a camera in their face and push the button I'd say you were the luckiest person on the planet. I suspect, however, that there's a degree of working with the person to get the shot that works which comes through with your narrative. This is what makes this a really great project right up there with Andy Gotts' "Degrees" (apologies for bad video & terrible promo). This is a real gem of a project.

Humbling stuff.

Last edited:
We're your ears burning yesterday? The consensus around the lunch table at the NMA meet was that your project is outstanding both in the quality of your images and the amazing people you choose to include. Inspirational!

#53, how time flies.

Of the latest submissions, Tim stands out, as does his red jacket. Ivan works well against the gritty, urban environment.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, I do seem to be flying through this project but I do hope it doesn't show in my images.
I am not looking at it as a race to 100, because when I reach it, I intend to carry on again.

I never set out on this with any sort of timescale, so it is difficult to judge at what pace I should be going.

Tims portrait is my new favourite so far.

Love this. You should do a book...

Thankyou and watch this space ;)
The plan for a book is underway!

Hey Iain, just letting you know I'm still keeping an eye on the thread.

Have to say it's tempting to give TP style "critique" on composition etc, but when you look at the series as a whole I think this is becoming a really successful project "warts 'n' all". Your interaction with your subjects really shows through in the photos. You can almost tell the people that were "easy" to shoot and the ones that weren't so easy. I saw a documentary by a "headshot" photographer who said he was 10% photographer, 90% psychiatrist. This was America though, so I'm assuming you're only 70% psychiatrist.

If you just stick a camera in their face and push the button I'd say you were the luckiest person on the planet. I suspect, however, that there's a degree of working with the person to get the shot that works which comes through with your narrative. This is what makes this a really great project right up there with Andy Gotts' "Degrees" (apologies for bad video & terrible promo). This is a real gem of a project.

Humbling stuff.

Thanks Ian (y)

Comments and critique are always welcome.
On the subject of composition, it is with the finished article in mind that I have deliberately posed and cropped the images and subjects all in a similar fashion. I wish it to be a cohesive panel of 100 strangers.

Re being a psychiatrist, there is a certain amount of psychology involved I agree, not sure of the percentages mind.
I have my approach which has brought me this success so far, it's working so I will stick with it.

Some subjects have been a little reluctant but relented in the end. Others do need some convincing to the point that they ask more questions than I. I really don't mind that, in fact, I welcome it. It brings a certain dynamic to the interaction and makes good copy in the write up of the encounter.

I will have a look at the link later Ian, I am very interested in what he has to say.

Essentially, the physical act of taking the portraits comes down to pressing the button but my confidence in directing strangers in the pose has grown enormously through this 53/100. I am thoroughly enjoying this project and am glad it shines through. Thank you again Ian.

We're your ears burning yesterday? The consensus around the lunch table at the NMA meet was that your project is outstanding both in the quality of your images and the amazing people you choose to include. Inspirational!

Wow! Thank you Brian, praise indeed, I am genuinely flattered from the quality of photographers whom I know were at the NMA meet.

My confidence in directing strangers in the pose has grown enormously through this 53/100

This is clear to see and is what makes the series stand out for me. You've captured a real part of the character of the people you've met. They're not just portraits, they are people.

This is clear to see and is what makes the series stand out for me. You've captured a real part of the character of the people you've met. They're not just portraits, they are people.

That's so good of you to say Ian.
I am always interested in what other photographers have to say about my work, not just the technical aspects but how they interpret it and what it says to them. That is if it says something at all.

Without getting all 'feng shui' about it ;):D, I find myself placing more importance on the engagement, the interaction than on the photography. I have my finished article picture in mind, I know where I am going with it. What I don't know is anything about the next 47 strangers I've yet to meet to complete my 100. That for me is the exciting part of it. Anyway, 3,2,1, back in the room :D

You're very welcome, I hope you enjoy it. I know I did. It was one of the first photography books I bought and the anecdotal stuff is really interesting to read. No fancy lighting, no studio, just a (presumably quite scary) famous face and a short time to shoot them in their surroundings. Close portrait work like this is all about the engagement just like you said 2 posts up.

You're very welcome, I hope you enjoy it. I know I did. It was one of the first photography books I bought and the anecdotal stuff is really interesting to read. No fancy lighting, no studio, just a (presumably quite scary) famous face and a short time to shoot them in their surroundings. Close portrait work like this is all about the engagement just like you said 2 posts up.

Cheers for the recommendation Ian.
I am looking forward to reading the book, to get the pro's perspective.

I see it as having reached something of a milestone in my 100 Strangers project, the halfway point.
Although I have went beyond the 50, now at 53 strangers, for aesthetics purposes, I have posted the halfway point.
When I started out on this project, I didn't really know how it would develop but it has been a revelation to me.
Posted to mark my progress.

Halfway There
by iain blake, on Flickr

I've been away from this thread far too long. You have taken so many fantastic portraits and discovered so much about strangers lives. I would really like to have the balls to try this - just to learn about others lives - it's fascinating. One thing that brings it home how much of a small world it is is that I walked past Colin (No 10) just the other day at London Bridge Station. He was complete in a suit and top hat :)

I look forward to the next 50 (y)

I've been away from this thread far too long. You have taken so many fantastic portraits and discovered so much about strangers lives. I would really like to have the balls to try this - just to learn about others lives - it's fascinating. One thing that brings it home how much of a small world it is is that I walked past Colin (No 10) just the other day at London Bridge Station. He was complete in a suit and top hat :)

I look forward to the next 50 (y)

Thanks Lee (y)
It is a small world, I agree.
Ian @Harlequin565, recommended a book to me a few posts above Andy Gotts, Degrees. It is a photography book/project based on the Six Degrees of Seperation, I have only read the first couple of pages but it's fantastic so far. The ethos behind it is that everyone is connected by just 5 or 6 others. There might be something in that, bearing in mind your point above about Colin :D

Thanks again Lee (y)

Some fantastic weather saw me out yesterday in my pursuit of strangers for my project.

Results are posted below, comments and critique welcome as always.

#54:100 Strangers - Gillian
by iain blake, on Flickr

I found the background for this particular stranger shoot first. It was then just a case of waiting on a suitable stranger to come along.

It was fantastic weather on the Southbank of London and with what seemed like thousands of people out enjoying the weather I was optimistic of finding the perfect stranger for the background.

I spotted Gillian in the crowd with her lovely red hair and jacket. On approaching Gillian who was walking along with her partner Ross, I heard her speak in a familiar accent.

Gillian is from Glasgow and was in London visiting with Ross.

Gillian - "It would really difficult to sum up my ambitions in life in just one sentence, I have a long bucket list"

"I really like my life right now, I am very happy"

Thank you Gillian and Ross who assisted in holding the reflector whilst I took Gillian's portrait and making her laugh the whole time.

#55:100 Strangers - Kate
by iain blake, on Flickr

I noticed Kate walking along the Southbank London in her vibrant yellow coat and not wearing any shoes. It was a lovely day in London, perhaps Kate just wanted to feel the cool tarmac under her feet?

I caught up with Kate when she stopped to put her shoes back on and invited her to be part of my project. With a little hesitation, after a more in-depth description of the project and its purpose, Kate agreed.

I spotted this door to a residential premises overlooking the Thames and thought it a perfect background against Kate's coat.

Kate is from Hong Kong but is a Graphic Art Student at University of the Arts London (UAL). Kate has three years left to do in her studies.

"I wish to travel the world after my studies but I especially would love to visit New York"

"I am learning to be more independent, I enjoy having my own time to explore and be myself but also find out who I am"

Thank you Kate!

#56:100 Strangers - Karina
by iain blake, on Flickr

Karina was with Kate (#55) she had a vibrant yellow scarf on which also caught my eye.

Happily, Karina agreed to be part of my project too.

Karina is from Russia but also studying at University of the Arts London (UAL). Karina is studying Fine Art and also has three years left in her studies.

Karina wishes to be a freelance artist once qualified.

"I am very happy doing what I like doing and not wasting time in things that I don't enjoy"

"Life is challenging at times though, I am a person of two cultures really. There are my studies and my time in the UK but I love my home in Russia.

Life can be a challenge"

Thank you Karina!

I braved the elements today in a dull, overcast and particularly cold Cambridge to continue my project.
I think yesterday was an altogether better day weatherwise but on account of having to work I couldn't get out.
Come today, saw me eager to crack on with the 100 strangers. It was very slow going at first, must have spent the first couple of hours wandering around with no success.
About to give up and go home, I thought one last walk round the centre of Cambridge and success, a couple of stranger portraits captured.

Results are posted below, your comments and critique are welcome as always!

#57:100 Strangers - Abby
by iain blake, on Flickr

I noticed Abby walking along with a large group of friends enjoying a day out in Cambridge. Happily, when I approached, Abby agreed to be part of my project.

I asked Julian, Abby's boyfriend to hold the reflector whilst I shot her portrait.

Abby is an apprentice in childcare, which is her ambition and profession she wishes her career path to take once qualified.

"My happiest moment was when Julian said he liked me too, we have been together about 2 years"

Thank you Abby and Julian!

#58:100 Strangers - Muneer
by iain blake, on Flickr

I noticed Muneer walking along with his friend, it was his sense of style that struck me, particularly his cap being on backwards!

Muneer is from Saudi Arabia but is studying Mechanical Engineering at Chelmsford University.

"I have fallen in love with the UK and its diversity. Such a broad spectrum of people.

Its so different from my own country, take Cambridge, it is wonderful meeting people from all around the world.

I would like to stay a few more years then return to my home in Saudi Arabia"

Thank you Muneer!

Back