100 Strangers Complete!!

Some of your strongest there, Iain.

Susannah, love the shallow DOF and she's almost popping out of the screen. Her red lipstick and the wonderful colours in her scarf really work well with the BG. Her eyes really draw me in.

George, what an interesting character. Nice blue eyes, the greens really work well and his tweed waistcoat is great.

Richard, he looks quite sad to me. I see a bit of pain on his eyes. The central composition works well and I really like the effect the shallow DOF had has had one the street walls.

Good show.

Cheers.

Some of your strongest there, Iain.

Susannah, love the shallow DOF and she's almost popping out of the screen. Her red lipstick and the wonderful colours in her scarf really work well with the BG. Her eyes really draw me in.

George, what an interesting character. Nice blue eyes, the greens really work well and his tweed waistcoat is great.

Richard, he looks quite sad to me. I see a bit of pain on his eyes. The central composition works well and I really like the effect the shallow DOF had has had one the street walls.

Good show.

Cheers.

Thanks @posiview Andy (y)
I am really pleased with these latest stranger portraits, as I mentioned to Lynne, Susannah is probably my favourite portrait to date.
I think Richard possibly was a bit sad if his answer to my question about what was his happiest memory in life was anything to go by.
Thats the thing with the stranger project for me Andy, i never know what reaction/reply I will get.
I try to ask questions which would illicit a positive response but sometimes, like Richard today, I get what could be perceived as a negative.

Hi Iain.....I'm following your 100 Strangers journey and it's quite fascinating. I really like the way we get some information about each one, it means they cease to become just a face, but become real people with hopes, dreams and aspirations. It's interesting how upbeat and positive most people are, and how honest too, as in Richards case.

Your portraits are stunning, I think my favourite so far is Tim (250) but there are so many that stand out its an almost impossible choice.

Hi Iain.....I'm following your 100 Strangers journey and it's quite fascinating. I really like the way we get some information about each one, it means they cease to become just a face, but become real people with hopes, dreams and aspirations. It's interesting how upbeat and positive most people are, and how honest too, as in Richards case.

Your portraits are stunning, I think my favourite so far is Tim (250) but there are so many that stand out its an almost impossible choice.

Thank you @susiejb Susie (y)
As I mentioned to Andy above, Susie I try to ask questions to get a positive response but sometimes people have surprised me with their quite candid answers.
For me, it is much about the interaction and engagement with the strangers as the photography. That may sound like an odd thing to say, this being a photography forum but its really caught my imagination this project, i feel more engaged with people. People who i meet everyday, and don't take their portrait.

Thanks again for looking in Susie, its very much appreciated.

Sussanah B&W works well and she pops even more. What wonderful eye contact :)

Crit, minor one but just the uneven lighting in the BG....might have to revisit, thought as keep changing my mind on this point :thinking:

Cheers.

Sussanah B&W works well and she pops even more. What wonderful eye contact :)

Crit, minor one but just the uneven lighting in the BG....might have to revisit, thought as keep changing my mind on this point :thinking:

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, yes I enjoyed taking Susannah's portrait. Beyond my directing her as to where I would like her to stand, this was exactly how she was. The look on her face, to not smiling, to the eye contact that is how she was.
I try not to influence the strangers in whether or not to smile, I want to catch them as they are.

I suppose this spills over into my photography technique also. I don't do a massive amount of PP, in fact, I have a workflow in Lightroom which is pretty much the same for every portrait, takes only a few minutes and they are good to go.
The uneven lighting you mention was the other end of the alley, its beyond my skill set to correct that in PP. I can see what you mean about the lighting but feel happy with it in respect of it doesn't distract me too much. Thanks again Andy for looking in and commenting, its much appreciated matey (y)

Thanks Andy, yes I enjoyed taking Susannah's portrait. Beyond my directing her as to where I would like her to stand, this was exactly how she was. The look on her face, to not smiling, to the eye contact that is how she was.
I try not to influence the strangers in whether or not to smile, I want to catch them as they are.

I suppose this spills over into my photography technique also. I don't do a massive amount of PP, in fact, I have a workflow in Lightroom which is pretty much the same for every portrait, takes only a few minutes and they are good to go.
The uneven lighting you mention was the other end of the alley, its beyond my skill set to correct that in PP. I can see what you mean about the lighting but feel happy with it in respect of it doesn't distract me too much. Thanks again Andy for looking in and commenting, its much appreciated matey (y)

I had a quick edit, brighten the RHS on one and darkened the LHS on the other. To be honest I shouldn't have bothered, the focus of the photograph is Susannah, not the chuffing BG :)

Anyway we are off to sunny Wales for the week on Monday so keep enjoying your project (y)

Cheers.

I had a quick edit, brighten the RHS on one and darkened the LHS on the other. To be honest I shouldn't have bothered, the focus of the photograph is Susannah, not the chuffing BG :)

Anyway we are off to sunny Wales for the week on Monday so keep enjoying your project (y)

Cheers.

Ah, I get you now Andy (y)
It doesn't distract me too much, and I thought with Susannah's eyes grabbing the viewer, that the background would be less noticeable.
My approach to this project is not OCD friendly :D

Another +1 for Susannah. One of my favourites so far. The way the OOF brick lines in the background lead off into the distance almost adds that zoom focus appearance to the shot. It's really subtle which is why it works so well.

It's really interesting to see the B&W shots. For me they are nowhere hear as strong as the colour work. I think that's because the way you compliment the background with your subjects really adds impact to the overall image. Maybe on their own they would look great but as part of your project the colour works much better.

Keep on keeping on!

Another +1 for Susannah. One of my favourites so far. The way the OOF brick lines in the background lead off into the distance almost adds that zoom focus appearance to the shot. It's really subtle which is why it works so well.

It's really interesting to see the B&W shots. For me they are nowhere hear as strong as the colour work. I think that's because the way you compliment the background with your subjects really adds impact to the overall image. Maybe on their own they would look great but as part of your project the colour works much better.

Keep on keeping on!

Thanks Ian (y)
Susannah's portrait is probably my favourite shot of my project so far, I am really pleased with the image.
I put the B&W shots up more for reference than anything.
I do prefer colour in my images but the B&W add something of a comparison to the 100 project.

The Susannah shot is fantastic.
I'm always impressed how you match the subject to the background, but matching her eyes to the background you've outdone yourself this time :)

The Susannah shot is fantastic.
I'm always impressed how you match the subject to the background, but matching her eyes to the background you've outdone yourself this time :)

:DThanks Pete,
I was lucky enough that there was some matching colour in the background. Plus, I use split toning in my PP in Lightroom which gives that look to my images.
Thanks again for your kind comments!

Well a last minute decision saw me pay another visit up to London for my 100 strangers project.

Not wishing to bring politics into the project but today saw just a passing reference to just that. Carla #66 stranger is from Belfast and touched upon Celtic/Rangers discussion.

Lydia #67 stranger is a young woman from Ukraine who is funding herself through university to the tune of £14000 a year. It was Lydia and her situation which made me think how much of an inspiration she was. Here was a young woman who was really making a go of things in a foreign country against quite stiff odds. More details about Lydia attached to her photograph below.

#66:100 Strangers - Carla
by iain blake, on Flickr

After sometime waiting for a suitable stranger to approach to pose in front of my chosen background of Poplar footbridge tunnel, along came Carla.

Carla is from Belfast, Northern Ireland but is now living and working in London.

Carla was a little reluctant at first but after chatting, she agreed to be part of my project.

"I'm not looking my best, I am a wee bit jet lagged from my travels"

On hearing my accent, Carla asked which side of the fence I was on. I replied that that was quite a leading question. Ultimately what Carla was asking was Celtic or Rangers, Catholic or Protestant.

Carla went on to tell me her Grandfather Charlie Tully played football for Celtic Football Club.

Carla was in a rush to catch her train and we parted company with her saying she would send me an email with a little more about herself.

Thank you Carla for being part of my project.

#67:100 Strangers - Lydia
by iain blake, on Flickr

I noticed Lydia walking along listening to her music and thought she had a lovely friendly face.

On approaching Lydia and asking her to be part of my project, she happily agreed. I remarked on her wonderful long hair which she had styled in plaits.

Lydia is a fashion and journalism student in her final year of studies. Originally from Ukraine Lydia hopes to remain in the UK once her studies are complete.

"Its a struggle to find the £14000 a year I require to live and study. I have worked three jobs at a time to save money. Unfortunately, my parents can't help due to losing their jobs through the war in Ukraine. A lot of s*** went down because of the fighting.

I am happy with how things are, I know what I have to do to make it all work.

I want to stay in the UK after my studies and be a success"

Lydia, it was an absolute pleasure to meet you, you are a truly inspirational young woman who I am sure will be every much the success you wish for.

Thank you for being a part of my project!

#68:100 Strangers - Rosie
by iain blake, on Flickr

I noticed Rosie with her vibrant pink hair and wearing matching sunglasses walking along Bishopsgate London.

On approaching Rosie, she happily agreed to be part of my 100 strangers project.

Rosie, originally from the Midlands, now lives and works in London, and has done for the past 5 years.

"I wait tables at Old Spitalfields Market.

My happiest moment?

Coming to London those 5 years ago from the Midlands and finding a place to work and stay, also finding my boyfriend"

Thank you Rosie!

Rosie
by iain blake, on Flickr

Rosie with her sunglasses on as I first saw her.
I prefer the sans sunglasses version as her eyes are clearly visible.

OOoooo, Carla, that's a cracker. Has a real sci fi feeling to it - this is what sprang to mind immediately :) The curls in her hair work well with the curves of the archthingy. Her blue glassess really pop as well and contrast well with her shirt.

Lydia, looks a little soft/OOF :thinking: or should I say, not as sharp as the rest.

Rose #2 for me. A very playful look in her face and a cheeky smile.

Cheers.

OOoooo, Carla, that's a cracker. Has a real sci fi feeling to it - this is what sprang to mind immediately :) The curls in her hair work well with the curves of the archthingy. Her blue glassess really pop as well and contrast well with her shirt.

Lydia, looks a little soft/OOF :thinking: or should I say, not as sharp as the rest.

Rose #2 for me. A very playful look in her face and a cheeky smile.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy,
I enjoyed taking Carla's portrait, I will use that background again but probably not this 100 strangers, maybe the next.

I am not seeing what you are seeing Andy but then again, Im maybe a wee bit blinkered ;)

Rosie has a lot of character about her thats for sure.

Thanks again Andy (y)

Another Saturday, another day shooting my 100 strangers project.
It is something of an obsession for me now.

I visited some new territory today. Still London but today i found myself wandering through Shoreditch towards Columbia Road. A hidden gem of a place with a real warm and positive ambiance about the place.

I nearly never got there. The weather in Essex was atrocious and I didn't think it'd be any better in London. However, I persevered and am glad I did. Such a colourful and interesting group of strangers I met today.

Results of which are posted below.

#69:100 Strangers - Tanya
by iain blake, on Flickr

I noticed Tanya and her fantastic colourful hair walking along with a friend near Old Spitalfields Market, London.
When I approached Tanya and asked her to be part of my project, she happily agreed and said.

"I've just had my hair done so would love a photograph of it"

Tanya is from Holland and it is her first time visiting London.
We crossed the road towards this background which I thought complemented Tanya's hair colour perfectly.
After taking a few frames, Tanya asked to see the results, we both liked this portrait and agreed that this was the one to post.
I asked Tanya what her happiest moment in life was and what were her struggles.

"My happiest moment and struggles are combined. We nearly lost my Father at Easter. We were called to the hospital as they didn't think he was going to live. His heart had stopped and didn't think he would make it but thankfully he survived and is going to be ok."

"It was a reminder to live in the moment, live life to the full and be happy"

Thank you Tanya!

#70:100 Strangers - Roisin
by iain blake, on Flickr

I noticed Roisin and how stylish she looked walking along Brick Lane, London. She paused for a moment to use her mobile telephone and thats when i asked her to be part of my project. Happily Roisin agreed.
Roisin is from Bermondsey, London.
I took a few frames of Roisin with her sunglasses on but then invited her to remove them so as her eyes would be more clearly seen. Raisin declined this as she was specifically wearing them to cover a small blemish on her face.

I asked Roisin what her ambition was in life.

"Thats a deep question for a Saturday afternoon"

"I want to live a happy life, contentment is the key. Not chasing after promotion at work or wanting more in life."

"I don't struggle to be happy. If one was to go through life always wanting but never achieving to then die at the end, whats the point?"

Thank you Roisin!

Hi, Iain, saw them on Flickr, but not het here. You mentioned your next 100, will they be the same or different in anyway (the same is good for me), just wondered if you were going to take a different slant :thinking:

Chers.

#71:100 Strangers - Gina
by iain blake, on Flickr

I noticed Gina when she met with her friends near the bandstand at Arnold Circus, Shoreditch London. Her friends were already there waiting when Gina arrived. It seemed such a warm welcome these friends gave one another, to much laughter and smiles. I waited until they looked to be going when I approached and asked Gina if she would agree to be part of my project. Happily she agreed.

Gina is from Kenya, and had just moved to London with her husband 3 weeks ago.

I asked Gina what her happiest moment in life had been.

"Meeting my good friends" as she gestured towards both her friends.

One of Gina's fiends then suggested that was Gina getting married not her happiest moment in life?

Gina replied "I should have said that getting married was my happiest moment, shouldn't I?" with a beaming smile on her face.

Gina spoke of moving to London and that it was her husbands choice.

"Its my choice next time"

"We will stay in London for a few years then I will choose somewhere warm after that"

"I want a job where I am 100% happy, maybe one day"

I took a few more frames of Gina. Some where she wasn't smiling but having just met Gina, it became quickly apparent that she was such a happy person. I don't believe the non smiling shots were Gina's true personality.

Thank you Gina.

#72:100 Strangers - Sue
by iain blake, on Flickr

I noticed Sue walking along Columbia Road, East London as she had a certain style about her.
Sue was with a friend popping in and out of the shops along Columbia Road. I had chosen a suitable background and waited until Sue and her friend reached me. Happily Sue agreed to be part of my project.
Sue is living and studying in London.

"I am happy in my life, I am where I want to be"

Thank you Sue

#73:100 Strangers - C
lio by iain blake, on Flickr

I noticed Clio and particularly the headband which she was wearing when she was walking along Shoreditch High Street, London, with a group of four male friends.
When I approached Clio to ask if she would like to be part of my project, she happily agreed but also her male friends noisily encouraged her whilst I took her portrait.
Clio lives and works in London.

"I'm a mixologist"

I asked Cleo her ambition in life?

"To be happy"

What makes you happy? I asked.

"Love, life and freedom"

"I'm a hippy"

Thank you Clio!

Last edited:
Hi, Iain, saw them on Flickr, but not het here. You mentioned your next 100, will they be the same or different in anyway (the same is good for me), just wondered if you were going to take a different slant :thinking:

Chers.

Hi Andy,
The next 100 will be a little different.
I had a finished look in mind when i started this 100, that is to have a 10x10 panel of images, square cropped headshots to give a consistent look throughout.

I wish to move my people photography on a little and incorporate different poses. Maybe 3/4 length shots but definitely including hands.
I don't want to get too ahead of myself, I need to finish this 100 first but I don't think it does any harm to look forward too.

Hi Andy,
The next 100 will be a little different.
I had a finished look in mind when i started this 100, that is to have a 10x10 panel of images, square cropped headshots to give a consistent look throughout.

I wish to move my people photography on a little and incorporate different poses. Maybe 3/4 length shots but definitely including hands.
I don't want to get too ahead of myself, I need to finish this 100 first but I don't think it does any harm to look forward too.

Nice one. If you do produce a book, I'll buy one (y) as long as it's signed :)

Nice one. If you do produce a book, I'll buy one (y) as long as it's signed :)

I definitely want to get a book done.
I have ideas in mind for that too and how it will look when printed.

Gina Smile
by iain blake, on Flickr

This was a look I captured on Gina when she was talking about her friends who were standing beside her when I was taking her portrait.
I think it is an expression of absolute fondness towards her friends, so warm.

Cleo
by iain blake, on Flickr

Cleo
by iain blake, on Flickr

The expressions caught on Cleo's face were as a result of her friends 'encouragement' when i was taking her portrait.
All done in good humour and fun.
Cleo was trying to keep a straight face when i was photographing her.

Iain,
Just been looking through your project, and the portraits are stunning. I'd love to have the talent and confidence to try something similar.
The shallow depth of field causing the subjects to almost pop out of the images combined with such a varied choice of backgrounds makes for a fantastic collection.

Apologies, if you have already been asked this earlier and I've missed it, but is there any criteria applied to your subject selection - an attempt at a cross section of age, sex, ethnicity, etc, or with particular attributes in mind (dyed or facial hair for example)? Or just a random selection of interesting characters? Whatever the criteria, intentional or otherwise, you have clearly found a superb group of amateur models!

Look forwards to the next installment.

@DeadpanDodo
Hi DpD, thanks for your kind comments, the talent comes with practice, and more practice.
The confidence thing? It is a little daunting at first with this project but once you get into it, you realise that people are very approachable and willing to be part of the project.

I don't have a stranger selection criteria as such no. You come to get a sense of whether someone will say yes or no.
If a person was to be walking along with their head down or appear to be in a rush, I would let them go by. Individuals within a group are a good bet. I have often had the others in the group encouraging the subject or helping to hold the reflector say.

I haven't specifically chosen anyone based on their ethnicity, age or gender no, but I do look out for interesting, colourful characters. The male to female ratio is skewed towards the female majority, this isn't deliberate, perhaps a more subconscious decision on my part that females are more likely to say yes. I may be projecting my own insecurities and dislike for having my photograph taken onto potential male subjects.

The overriding subject choice for me I think is colour. That's hair and clothing colour, not skin colour. I look out for individuals who have bright colourful clothing or hair and try to match them to a background. As I shoot mainly in London, it has such a diversity of people that ultimately and without deliberation, my 100 strangers has taken on a multicultural flavour (I believe). Occasionally, there have been language barriers but I still managed to capture the persons portrait, that's not down to my foreign language skills, far from it :D

Thanks again for your kind comments (y)

I'll comment later.... but just shamelessly bum,ping the thread to raise it above the quagmire of 52s.

One thing I will say.... remove the logo. This is not commercial photography. No one will ask you to shoot a wedding as a result of this project... but you might get interest from other quarters... ones where watermarks and logos are frowned upon.

Back