Bloody Ad Obe

Name
Simon Everett
Edit My Images
Yes
I have split the name to prevent the bots from picking it up.

I BOUGHT a licensed edition of Lightroom - Ad Obe has now infiltrated every part of my computer and gate crashes everything I do with a pop up page that interrupts anything I am doing, even writing on the word processor, it stops me from doing what I am doing and takes control of the computer - the pop up page says the license on my programme will expire in 10 days and I have to rent their new lot of crap that I don't want. I don't want any cloud storage, I don't want their crappy, memory heavy phots*** - I just want the Lightroom that I purchased and for them to leave me alone....

Computer is going in to the Computer Doctor in the morning for him to stuff it up the Big Man. Ad Obe can shove their rental programmes where the sun don't shine.

Never had any of that with the perpetual versions of Lightroom.
Still using 6.14 and never get any pop ups or expiry warnings.

Sounds more like you are using a trial version than the full stand alone product.

Never had any of that with the perpetual versions of Lightroom.
Still using 6.14 and never get any pop ups or expiry warnings.

Sounds more like you are using a trial version than the full stand alone product.
Same here.

- the pop up page says the license on my programme will expire in 10 days and I have to rent their new lot of crap that I don't want.
Did you enter the "License Key" when you installed the software?

Are you talking about Adobe? Gosh you are tough.

No, I am not tough, I am exasperated, frustrated and bloody angry.

It wasn't a trial version, they run out in 30 days or so, sometimes 90. I have had it for sometime but never used it because I couldn't work out how to, it is Lightroom 6. I have a CD with Photohop CS5 on it too bought outright, and a book on how to use it. I did try but it was far too complicated for me and that hasn't been used for years.

Did you enter the "License Key" when you installed the software?

I expect so, I didn't set up my computer, I have no idea how to do any of that - a friend who runs a computer company and lives 75 yards away came and set up the computer for me, brought all my stuff over from the old one to this computer, then set up my email and the thing that plugs into the wall to get the internet - all gobbledegook to me. Even the TV is beyond me now unless it is left on TV and I can press '1' to get Beeb 1, otherwise I am knackered with it. We don't have Sky or any of that stuff for the same reason, I can't work it. My brother has it and I can't even turn his TV on.

Aaron is going to sort it out for me, he thinks he can prevent it from being invaded again. I don't have any passwords or anything, that is simply making things more difficult - I just want to turn it on and be left alone.

Simon, you are a dinosaur! But quite likely the licence key was overlooked? And do tell us what happens next.

As others have said, you've definitely not put the licence key in and it's simply putting a pop up on screen to tell you that your trial is about to expire. LR 6 licence keys can actually be quite expensive now as some people are so against the subscription model.

Last edited:
Simon may I suggest that if you are not good with computers please stick to one source of help (Aaron?).....The 3 F's are fatal...Friends/Family/Forums they will only lead to confusion.
However forums are a good place to have a rant!!!!
Good Luck .....from an 80+ year old dinosaur who knows his way around modern tech more than many youngsters...after all we grew up with most of it!!!:rolleyes::cool:

Last edited:
It sounds to me like the problem is the interface between the chair and the keyboard.
Not necessarily. Having used Adobe products on and off since the early 1980s, I'm aware that they have always displayed their fair share of problems. Nearly 40 years in IT prompts me never to assume the user is the faulty component. :naughty:

The Lightroom 6 was purchased. The licence key was put in, it had to be to make the programme work. Adobe have closed the programme and there is no option to input the licence number again - it is refused. I have got my computer back (evidently, because I am updating you). I will not be going down the rental route. I shall make do with a free programme, or a very much more affordable bought one.

I can't remember it, but Darktable was suggested to me at one time and I did try it on my old computer, but I don't think it worked very well because it was Windows XP. I don't know if it is still thought of as a decent option - I need to be able to stitch panoramas from multiple shots as one of the fundamentals of my requirements.

Another is the Lifetime Licence available from On1RAW, which is, apparently, quite acceptable in performance and affordable.

I am happy to be guided but please take note of THIS parameter - I WILL NOT USE THE CLOUD. End of. I don't agree with it, I don't like the idea of it and therefor I will not pay towards it. I have my own storage and that is what I shall use. It is a waste of time trying to chasnge my mind on this aspect, so don't bother, I will probably get rude and write something I shouldn't!

The Lightroom 6 was purchased. The licence key was put in, it had to be to make the programme work. Adobe have closed the programme and there is no option to input the licence number again - it is refused. I have got my computer back (evidently, because I am updating you). I will not be going down the rental route. I shall make do with a free programme, or a very much more affordable bought one.
It sounds like you need to consult a different Computer Doctor. This problem should be fixable if you still have the key.

If you purchased it new with the licence key they have to sort it out for you.I had a problem with an old purchase last year and they linked me to the full installer to use with the key.if your not confident doing online chat support with them you may not get it up and running but if you persevere you will then be able to use the software perpetually :)

These days 'perpetually' means 'a decade or so, after which we stop authorising re-installation, so better hope your computer doesn't break'.

I hope they haven't trained Adobe customer service reps to install CC if you give them remote access!

Surely the easiest way to fix this would be to uninstall and re-install using the licence key?

The behaviour you are describing sounds very similar to an issue a girl I know had it was due to it not being a legit licence key and that when it was installed as it was "hooky" software was used to block Adobe calling home. At some point for whatever reason the calling home software reactivated and blocked the software. Not saying that this is what has happened in your case but the problem was the same.

As for the cloud stuff you don't have to choose the cloud version with a Lightroom subscription, you can choose Lightroom classic instead which is what I use. Yeah it has to be rented I personally buy an annual subscription rather than pay monthly. Amazon have it on offer at various points during the year, I would expect it to go on offer on Prime day again as it usually does. Yeah it means having to purchase every 12 months but its usually a fair bit cheaper than the monthly subscription and it means you always have the bang up to date version along with Photoshop. It usually costs between £70-80 for the year which for me is quite a bargain. Back when I first started using photoshop it was around £500-£600 and I usually bought the upgrade every couple of years or so which was another £300 or so. So buying the annual licence works out actually less expensive than just photoshop does on its own and you get Lightroom as well.

There are plenty of other options for just editing but there really is not any alternative that works well if you use Lightrooms catalogue features.

Last edited:
If you purchased it new with the licence key they have to sort it out for you.I had a problem with an old purchase last year and they linked me to the full installer to use with the key.if your not confident doing online chat support with them you may not get it up and running but if you persevere you will then be able to use the software perpetually :)
I recently bought a new computer and tried to load my LR 6.14 and PS Elements 15, neither would load correctly as I couldn't get my license keys to validate. I spent a long time on chat with Adobe but the end result was they said that they no longer had the server support for my old programmes so they couldn't help, my only option was togo with the new versions on the cloud. I haven't done that, I returned the new computer (there were other reasons not related specifically to Adobe) and am running me old computer until it dies. When that happens I will have to make a decision continue with Adobe on/in the cloud or move to a different software. I am not looking forward to that decision making time.

Surely the easiest way to fix this would be to uninstall and re-install using the licence key?

The behaviour you are describing sounds very similar to an issue a girl I know had it was due to it not being a legit licence key and that when it was installed as it was "hooky" software was used to block Adobe calling home. At some point for whatever reason the calling home software reactivated and blocked the software. Not saying that this is what has happened in your case but the problem was the same.

As for the cloud stuff you don't have to choose the cloud version with a Lightroom subscription, you can choose Lightroom classic instead which is what I use. Yeah it has to be rented I personally buy an annual subscription rather than pay monthly. Amazon have it on offer at various points during the year, I would expect it to go on offer on Prime day again as it usually does. Yeah it means having to purchase every 12 months but its usually a fair bit cheaper than the monthly subscription and it means you always have the bang up to date version along with Photoshop. It usually costs between £70-80 for the year which for me is quite a bargain. Back when I first started using photoshop it was around £500-£600 and I usually bought the upgrade every couple of years or so which was another £300 or so. So buying the annual licence works out actually less expensive than just photoshop does on its own and you get Lightroom as well.

There are plenty of other options for just editing but there really is not any alternative that works well if you use Lightrooms catalogue features.
For about £99 p.a. you can get the full Photography package, which provides 9 apps including PS, LR, LR Classic, XD, Rush and others. Much better value than subscribing to a single app.

For about £99 p.a. you can get the full Photography package, which provides 9 apps including PS, LR, LR Classic, XD, Rush and others. Much better value than subscribing to a single app.
I'm sure Simon will agree with me when I say that I've already bought a programme from Adobe (2 actually) and resent having to spend again and again because they have dropped support for the programmes I have. I know though that at some time in the future I will have to swallow that and spend again but it is unlikley to be with Adobe. I'll find something that I can work with.

I'm sure Simon will agree with me when I say that I've already bought a programme from Adobe (2 actually) and resent having to spend again and again because they have dropped support for the programmes I have. I know though that at some time in the future I will have to swallow that and spend again but it is unlikley to be with Adobe. I'll find something that I can work with.
Yes, I understand that - I was just trying to demonstrate, in the subscription model, the value of the package when compared to a single app.

It has never been the case that when you buy any software programme that it lasts the rest of your life:ROFLMAO:

I WILL NOT USE THE CLOUD.
I agree with you on this.

At its heart, Cloud technology is an attempt by companies to shift responsibility for data security. As recent events have shown, it simply causes pain when (inevitably) a critical component fails. Keeping your own data in your own hands is sensible, especially given the low price of storage devices.

Reactions: Sky
It has never been the case that when you buy any software programme that it lasts the rest of your life:ROFLMAO:
There's no particular reason why it shouldn't, provided you have a computer that will run it. On Windows, most stuff from the last couple of decades will run, back to around the start of the XP era when programs stopped using 16 bit components. Photoshop 7.0, from 2002, installs and works on Windows 10. The reason why more recent packages like CS3 from 2007 won't install is that Adobe brought in the requirement to activate with CS (Photoshop 8), has chosen not to keep the activation servers running for anything before CS4, and has stopped providing activation-free replacement versions like they used to. It's a deliberate decision not to support their old customers and therefore to deprive them of the software they paid for. A mechanism supposedly designed to prevent software theft has effectively stolen the same software from its legitimate purchasers. And after all, Adobe already have your money. Why should they care? There's probably something in the licence small print that says they can do whatever they like, even to customers who spent £2300 on the CS3 Master Collection and now have a worthless box of silver coasters. It's much better (at least for Adobe) if you just write that off and keep paying them every month for the rest of your life.

Sounds to me like they've turned off the activation servers, which will be very annoying if true.

I recently bought a new computer and tried to load my LR 6.14 and PS Elements 15, neither would load correctly as I couldn't get my license keys to validate. I spent a long time on chat with Adobe but the end result was they said that they no longer had the server support for my old programmes so they couldn't help, my only option was togo with the new versions on the cloud. I haven't done that, I returned the new computer (there were other reasons not related specifically to Adobe) and am running me old computer until it dies. When that happens I will have to make a decision continue with Adobe on/in the cloud or move to a different software. I am not looking forward to that decision making time.

I don't think they've turned off the activation servers for LR6 (yet), or we'd have heard about it. There are discussions about activating it on the Adobe forums from the last few weeks. But their customer service reps can be notoriously unhelpful about old products, and their policy is to steer everyone towards CC. One thing they will still fix is resetting the activation count, but even to get that done you have to go through a very specific route and be prepared to jump through a few hoops:

I don't think they've turned off the activation servers for LR6 (yet), or we'd have heard about it. There are discussions about activating it on the Adobe forums from the last few weeks. But their customer service reps can be notoriously unhelpful about old products, and their policy is to steer everyone towards CC. One thing they will still fix is resetting the activation count, but even to get that done you have to go through a very specific route and be prepared to jump through a few hoops:

Just saying what the chat operative told me, in any event they weren't prepared to help get me going. I could get my programme running but the final updates from 6 to 6.14 were missing so no RAW support for my X-T2 and GFX therfore no use to me and no way to get the RAW support.

Just saying what the chat operative told me, in any event they weren't prepared to help get me going. I could get my programme running but the final updates from 6 to 6.14 were missing so no RAW support for my X-T2 and GFX therfore no use to me and no way to get the RAW support.
The 6.14 update was confusingly bundled with the installer for the contemporary CC version (probably another attempt to push users towwards CC). The combined installer apparently updates the perpetual licence version if you feed it the appropriate key. There's a deep link to a copy on the Adobe server here:

There's no particular reason why it shouldn't, provided you have a computer that will run it. On Windows, most stuff from the last couple of decades will run, back to around the start of the XP era when programs stopped using 16 bit components. Photoshop 7.0, from 2002, installs and works on Windows 10. The reason why more recent packages like CS3 from 2007 won't install is that Adobe brought in the requirement to activate with CS (Photoshop 8), has chosen not to keep the activation servers running for anything before CS4, and has stopped providing activation-free replacement versions like they used to. It's a deliberate decision not to support their old customers and therefore to deprive them of the software they paid for. A mechanism supposedly designed to prevent software theft has effectively stolen the same software from its legitimate purchasers. And after all, Adobe already have your money. Why should they care? There's probably something in the licence small print that says they can do whatever they like, even to customers who spent £2300 on the CS3 Master Collection and now have a worthless box of silver coasters. It's much better (at least for Adobe) if you just write that off and keep paying them every month for the rest of your life.

cool tin foil hat

For you - look no further than Capture One Pro 21. or on1 RAW.

I'd recommend DXO but it won't work your APSC Fuji camera files

My stance exactly... imagine buying a car and findng they no longer make consumables for it... chuck it away and get a new one, oh but you can't buy one, you have to rent it....

I have studied a whole load of You Toob reviews, comparisons nd tutorials and have plumped for On1RAW - £85 for a Lifetime Licence (which probably means a number of years). That is only 7 months of Adobe rental. It works, I have processed a RAW picture off my drone with it. A simple picture, but I know it works and I will just have to learn where everything lives and how to do it. The next 6 months will be tedious as I find out a little bit at atime, but I am up and running again.

Last edited:
My stance exactly... imagine buying a car and findng they no longer make consumables for it... chuck it away and get a new one, oh but you can't buy one, you have to rent it....

There is no such thing as a consumable for software. :ROFLMAO:

There is no such thing as a consumable for software. :ROFLMAO:

Yes there is - the entire programme. It has been consumed into the great fire of hell in the Adobe basement. The parallel of buying a large item and being stopped from using for the loss of support is very apt.

Yes there is - the entire programme. It has been consumed into the great fire of hell in the Adobe basement. The parallel of buying a large item and being stopped from using for the loss of support is very apt.

It really isn’t though

You could convert to DNG.

I don't think my CS5 supports any of my cameras raws. It is an extra step but at least it's just one batch process and they're all done.

Back