Bloody Flicker

Name
Simon Everett
Edit My Images
Yes
I only have one email address... it is now 'invalid'. Has anyone any idea why it would shut me out like that? My password isn't on this computer because it is a new one and not everything has transferred for some reason, so my automatic, remembered log in doesn't work. I have no idea what witty quip I used as a password, I don't need to, my computer remembers it for me for everything!
I have had the same, and only, email for time immemrial, ever since I first had an email, so how did I get registered with it, but suddenly it is invalid? I hate computers!

Is the old computer dead? If not, you should be able to recover your old login details from your browser if you fire it up again.

Simon @Lensflare , when you say it is 'telling you' your email address is invalid at what point and when is it stating that? e.g. when you do a forgotten password request?

PS I think I recall that Flickr made changes a good while back and dumped their Yahoo based login system..............but that was ages ago and recall having to change how I logged in???

I understand this does not solve your immediate problem but please consider having a password manager. You can also add notes to your saved passwords where you can also store the answers to your secret questions.

Originally you could only use a yahoo email I would hate to think how much spam there is on that if I could remember how to check it.
Make absolutely certain not doing something rather silly like comma instead of dot

Thank you, again, guys.
Some weird glitch going on - I went to the side list bar where your website list is kept, clicked on the flickr listing and it went straight in.... weird. Same place I went before, I have done nothing different! I still hate confusers!

Don't count on computers to remember your passwords:rolleyes: Make sure you have them written down somewhere

Thank you, again, guys.
Some weird glitch going on - I went to the side list bar where your website list is kept, clicked on the flickr listing and it went straight in.... weird. Same place I went before, I have done nothing different! I still hate confusers!

And yet you trust it to remember your password for you. You need a minimum of 2 email addresses anyway and if you are using one “given” by your service provider you may lose that anyway and lots of other providers have discontinued their email service over the years.

And yet you trust it to remember your password for you. You need a minimum of 2 email addresses anyway and if you are using one “given” by your service provider you may lose that anyway and lots of other providers have discontinued their email service over the years.

I can't remember the number of 'email for life' email service providers who stopped after just a few short years. Most disappointing was my @UK2.net email address that I'd had since the mid 2000s that they withdrew with no option to pay to maintain.

The only way to have a stable email is to pay for a domain of your own.

I have my own email address, not a generic one.

I don’t know how that works but presumably if you are in control you must know the password and or be able to reset it. But in thecase of Flickr I think they are just using the email address as a username and the password you set is for Flickr and nothing to do with your email, though you may have used the same password.

I understand this does not solve your immediate problem but please consider having a password manager. You can also add notes to your saved passwords where you can also store the answers to your secret questions.

@Mauri3205

The list of passwords to remember and/or record etc does get very long!

So, can I please ask......which password manager (of the ones in that linked "Best of listing") do you use :thinking:

Last edited:
@Mauri3205

The list of passwords etc does get long!

So, can I please ask......which password manager (of the ones in that linked "Best of listing") do you use :thinking:

I’ve used 1Password for years but it’s not free and definitely recommend it but some of the free ones are OK I think. But I don’t think it really matters as long as you use one and make sure to have different an unmemorable passwords wherever you can.

Managers that can link to Try Hunts haveibeenpwned site to check for breaches would be best. 1Password does that but then Hunt has been using it for years and is now an adviser to the company :).

@Mauri3205

The list of passwords to remember and/or record etc does get very long!

I have been using LastPass for a number of years and generally like how I can install it on my computers and phones. Personally I have the paid family plan so my wife is also covered and we can share passwords securely within the app (think groceries etc… very useful).

That said any of the options in the link I shared are good so perhaps there is one with a free offering or user interface that you prefer. ANY password manager is better than none and I currently have something like 150 different websites with 24 character passwords each. For that all you need is one master password and you are set.

I have been using LastPass for a number of years and generally like how I can install it on my computers and phones. Personally I have the paid family plan so my wife is also covered and we can share passwords securely within the app (think groceries etc… very useful).

That said any of the options in the link I shared are good so perhaps there is one with a free offering or user interface that you prefer. ANY password manager is better than none and I currently have something like 150 different websites with 24 character passwords each. For that all you need is one master password and you are set.

Thanks for the reply and insights, much appreciated.........I find myself where some password accessed places are rarely accessed having to go 'forgotten password' all too often. Therefore for me, about time I used a password manager!

I’ve used 1Password for years but it’s not free and definitely recommend it but some of the free ones are OK I think. But I don’t think it really matters as long as you use one and make sure to have different an unmemorable passwords wherever you can.

Managers that can link to Try Hunts haveibeenpwned site to check for breaches would be best. 1Password does that but then Hunt has been using it for years and is now an adviser to the company :).

Sorry I missed your reply

Thanks also for the usage insight and added info :)

I use Keepass 2 and have done for many years now and it is free. I have around 150 passwords stored so clearly could not remember them.

Dave

One option which was mentioned once by a consumer programme was to have one series of alpha numerical random characters (which you will eventually learn) followed by specific account passwords. IE 23rd4fg6dsnhs, or 23rd4fg6dnhshsbc. Apparently this makes for an exceedingly secure password system.

One option which was mentioned once by a consumer programme was to have one series of alpha numerical random characters (which you will eventually learn) followed by specific account passwords. IE 23rd4fg6dsnhs, or 23rd4fg6dnhshsbc. Apparently this makes for an exceedingly secure password system.
Took me a few seconds to get that but it is an interesting approach. It possibly predates password managers though?

Putting organisation’s initials is little different from using words and the rest of your examples don’t look very random :(. However if you’ve got different ones for every site then it’s already a big improvement. Assuming you’ve signed up to haveibeenpwned and change them whenever they are in a breach you’d then have to forget the old one(s) and learn new. It’s just easier to use a password manager (some of which are free) so what’s the point of all these clever and ultimately less secure and more cumbersome alternatives? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Never had a problem with the password manager in Safari, why not just use that or even Googles password manager.

Putting organisation’s initials is little different from using words and the rest of your examples don’t look very random :(. However if you’ve got different ones for every site then it’s already a big improvement. Assuming you’ve signed up to haveibeenpwned and change them whenever they are in a breach you’d then have to forget the old one(s) and learn new. It’s just easier to use a password manager (some of which are free) so what’s the point of all these clever and ultimately less secure and more cumbersome alternatives? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
It was a very rapid sequence for this post. The point being the initial sequence (especially if you use symbols) is very hard to guess compared to the kind of words most people use (birthday anyone?) if the initial sequence are unguessable the HSBC, PayPal etc are immaterial to the overall password.

Never had a problem with the password manager in Safari, why not just use that or even Googles password manager.
Maybe it is just me but I never save any passwords to the browser. To sync across devices you need a password or to login to the browser which means additional ad tracking opportunities. I use Brave browser, turn on the ad shields, refuse all offers to save passwords to browser but I install the password manager plugin although I don’t keep it signed in at all times. I also turn on two factor authentication.

I know I have said all of this before on a different thread but this is just one of those things that are worth reiterating non-stop.

It was a very rapid sequence for this post. The point being the initial sequence (especially if you use symbols) is very hard to guess compared to the kind of words most people use (birthday anyone?) if the initial sequence are unguessable the HSBC, PayPal etc are immaterial to the overall password.

Yes … but why not just use a password manager:thinking:

I use the browser to store passwords but I usually keep devices separate so that there are few passwords used on more than 1 device.

I only have one email address... it is now 'invalid'. Has anyone any idea why it would shut me out like that? My password isn't on this computer because it is a new one and not everything has transferred for some reason, so my automatic, remembered log in doesn't work. I have no idea what witty quip I used as a password, I don't need to, my computer remembers it for me for everything!
I have had the same, and only, email for time immemrial, ever since I first had an email, so how did I get registered with it, but suddenly it is invalid? I hate computers!
And THAT is why I use virtual machines!
I can change the entire OS on any machine and then simply re-install VirtualBox for the VMs to work perfectly.
I can also simply copy them and put them onto an external SSD and they still work perfectly when I plus the SSD into the USB3 (or USB2) port.

And for the rest of us that just want to use the tech and haven’t a clue what a virtual machine is that’s not a solution.
I need to look into password managers as it’s getting a bit daft with the number of times I have to reset a password because my usual format of letters numbers and characters don’t conform to what the website wants.
can they be used across all devise types? I have android tablets, iPhone and windows laptops. And access sites across all platforms

And for the rest of us that just want to use the tech and haven’t a clue what a virtual machine is that’s not a solution.
I need to look into password managers as it’s getting a bit daft with the number of times I have to reset a password because my usual format of letters numbers and characters don’t conform to what the website wants.
can they be used across all devise types? I have android tablets, iPhone and windows laptops. And access sites across all platforms

I think you’ll have do a search to find one that works across all your devices. It’s complicated by the fact that some free one restrict to either computer or mobile but not both, and so on :(.

I have been using Roboform (www.roboform.com) as my password manager for quite a few years without any issues. There are free and paid for versions and it runs on most operating systems and can be synchronised across all your devices and most of the browsers available.

Back