Blotches on negatives

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
Untitled by benjohns4 johns, on Flickr

any idea what caused this? its a long the side of a roll of 120 pan f. I would have thought a light leak but ive used the camera before and didnt have any problem, its a RB67 pro s

The white on the right? Looks like insufficient fixing to me. A light leak would be dark.

It looks like a fixing issue to me as well.

If you have a 35mm film leader, try it in the fixing bath to see if it clears.

This ^

Your film was more than likely in contact with itself, possibly a problem loading onto the spiral....
when i opened the canister the film had slid up the central peg thing that spiral slides onto, maybe the top of the film was sitting above the fixer

Really? I’m surprised, I fixed it for nearly 5 minutes
I always fix for twice as long as it takes to visibly clear. Timing the fixing does not take the using up of the fixer into account.

As mentioned above, the film touching itself will cause this - more likely than the film being above the fixer as the film is clear on both sides of the white streak.

take it that wont work on the rest of the negatives?

I'm not sure I understand. My point was that you could test whether the fixer was working; if you haven't fixed the film enough, yes, you can refix; but it's pointless if the problem is with the fixer itself.

The rule of thumb I was given years ago (and it is slightly out of date, but worth following) was to fix for twice the time the film took to clear, and when the clearing time had doubled, throw the fixer. Some modern films require more than the double time, but as far as I know the "doubled clearing time = throw fixer" still holds. I use some end of a bulk roll FP3 (sic) to test my fixer.

I'm not sure I understand. My point was that you could test whether the fixer was working; if you haven't fixed the film enough, yes, you can refix; but it's pointless if the problem is with the fixer itself.

The rule of thumb I was given years ago (and it is slightly out of date, but worth following) was to fix for twice the time the film took to clear, and when the clearing time had doubled, throw the fixer. Some modern films require more than the double time, but as far as I know the "doubled clearing time = throw fixer" still holds. I use some end of a bulk roll FP3 (sic) to test my fixer.
Just tried it with the end and it cleared, I think what happened was the edge sat above the fixer, gonna soak it again now

when i opened the canister the film had slid up the central peg thing that spiral slides onto, maybe the top of the film was sitting above the fixer
If it's a Paterson tank, there should be a round plastic clip that goes around the black tube to stop the spiral sliding up.

If it's a Paterson tank, there should be a round plastic clip that goes around the black tube to stop the spiral sliding up.
It’s not, it’s an AP tank. I’ll have to see about putting something on top. I’m guessing a rubber band would break down in the chemicals

It’s not, it’s an AP tank. I’ll have to see about putting something on top. I’m guessing a rubber band would break down in the chemicals

Although mine is a Paterson tank the principle is the same. If I'm developing just one roll i always put an empty reel on top of the one I'm developing to keep it in place.

Although mine is a Paterson tank the principle is the same. If I'm developing just one roll i always put an empty reel on top of the one I'm developing to keep it in place.
If I’m developing 35mm I only usually develop 2 rolls at a time so it’s not a problem then, but that was a 120 roll, I haven’t tried to be fair but I don’t think there’s enough space to put the 2nd

If I’m developing 35mm I only usually develop 2 rolls at a time so it’s not a problem then, but that was a 120 roll, I haven’t tried to be fair but I don’t think there’s enough space to put the 2nd

Thats definitely when you'll want the little clip, I found in my tank like yours that 120 does move about a bit if its not clipped in place.

I did the same kind of thing a couple of months ago :)

Too little developer in the tank - I had a one of those moments when you think a certain quantity is the right amount. It wasn't.

Oops! by Ken, on Flickr

Back