Bluetooth Headphones

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I was thinking of getting some bluetooth over-ear headphones, I would be interested in hearing your opinions on these.
Is it worth spending out for the Bose qc 2's with the Google assist or is this just a bit gimmicky? Do the mark 1's have the same sound quality?
Are there cheaper options ? Maybe Sony or Sennheiser?
Thanks

I have the mark 1s and they are a phenomenal bit of kit.

Can't say I would use the google assistant on the new ones.

I believe you can also buy a bluetooth adapter for wired 'phones, might be worth considering if you already have a decent set.
Matt

Do you happen to know if there’s much difference on the mk 2’s?

Pop into John Lewis and try a few out before handing over your cash.

The reviews sold the Sony MDR-1000x ones for me but one I was listening to them, the Bose QC35s bowled me over.

Use them twice a day on my commute and love them, noise cancelling works brilliantly and the battery seems to last forever.

Got mine on Amazon Spain for £270 with next day delivery [emoji1303]

Ive got the QC35’s and they are definitely worth it. Its worth trying a few different ones though as it depends on your music preference. I found that the Sony’s had a deeper more bassy tone where as the Bose aired more to the mid-tone

i'm not a blutooth fan as I am into high end for portable audio and hi res music but the thing about blutooth is remember it realy is up to the quality of those little amps and electrics in the phones so I would expect you to get more with paying more with Bose they seem to be the leader in this tech.

Bluetooth is going to be limited by the actual bandwidth of the protocol, both bose and Sony are protocol 4.1 with a2dp. The Sony has aptx support but bose does not. Bose has aac support instead. Sony has support for its own proprietary HD stream but you need one of their own brand players with the same protocol which aren't cheap.

I was just reading about this, and it seems like compatibility is a bit of a minefield:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/03/the-inconvenient-truth-about-bluetooth-audio/

If you want high quality sound, both the audio device and the headphones need to support the same encoding standards. If there's a mismatch, then they fall back on the lowest common denominator standard. Headphones that sound great with one device might be mediocre with another, just because they don't share a compatible high quality mode.

I have some BT speakers TIBO PLUS 3 and they are the new 4.1 standard and if I use it with FLACS from a newer Samsung tablet the quality is noticeably better.

I was just reading about this, and it seems like compatibility is a bit of a minefield:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/03/the-inconvenient-truth-about-bluetooth-audio/

If you want high quality sound, both the audio device and the headphones need to support the same encoding standards. If there's a mismatch, then they fall back on the lowest common denominator standard. Headphones that sound great with one device might be mediocre with another, just because they don't share a compatible high quality mode.
Yup. Fortunately most newer devices support bt4/4.1 with aptx which is generally the best you'll get at the moment until proper hd streaming becomes mainstream.

Stupid question but do most Bluetooth headphone come with an optional cable connection?

Most do but some don't, mainly at the cheaper end. Check the specs and reviews online for conclusive info.

I have some Sony ones. The battery life is fantastic, think it’s something like 50 hours.

ANyone have recommendation for over ear bluetooths - for my daughter so £40 max. Is that budget too low (i.e. I had bought some £16 earbuds which were not great, my Jabra £60 are exclellent)

Stupid question but do most Bluetooth headphone come with an optional cable connection?

I kinda think a lot do for backward compatibility.
I have some goldring ones I use for travelling, cheep noise reduction and they have a 3.5mm jack and cable.

Yup. Fortunately most newer devices support bt4/4.1 with aptx which is generally the best you'll get at the moment until proper hd streaming becomes mainstream.
I have a recent phone and it doesn't seem to have aptx, unfortunately, so it's worth checking the specs first.

The Bose QuietComfort 35 does come with a cable, but if you are using one of the more recent iPhones you'll need to use the Lightning to 3.5mm Jack adaptor.

Unfortunate, what is it?
Nokia 6. If it does have aptx, it's not an advertised feature. To be fair, it's a pretty cheap phone and BT wasn't even on my radar when I bought it, but my wired noise cancelling headphones have just died and I started to wonder about a BT replacement (which turns out to be more complicated than I thought).

Just to bump this for a quick update.

Spent 2x 8hrs on a plane with the MDR-1000X and what an excellent set of headphones. Noise cancelling drowned out all of the airplane noise, battery life easily lasted 8hrs on a charge (cabled not Bluetooth) and soooo comfortable.

Sorry to say it but the Sony does get better reviews. Some go as far to say the noise cancelling is better too, the sound quality is certainly better.

Ordered from a reputable seller? Could always return and reorder :D

I’ve tried both and can’t really tell the difference- my left ear only works about 60% so I’m sure the nose will be fine! Slightly more comfortable IMO

I liked the Sony headphones in theory (good reviews and support for just about every Bluetooth audio codec, etc.) but was rather put off by multiple reports of the headband cracking in normal use, especially since a similar problem had just written off the brand-X headphones I was replacing. The Bose had excellent sound in the brief test I did, and was certainly very comfortable. In the end I went for the Sennheiser PXC 550, which dropped to £224 in one of the post 'Black Friday' sales at Amazon last week.

I tried both the Sony and Bose when I was deciding and preferred the tones in the Bose. The bass was a long stronger in the Sony whilst the Bose tended to have clearer mid tones. That was my preference anyway

I have a pair of the mdr-1a normal headphones and I have to say comfort and quality very good but as @Retune says the plasticky headbands can be a bit creaky.
I have popped a bit of silicon grease in the little hinges with a cotton bud and that seems to sort it out.

I've just purchased some Beats X; Not overall impressed though, I think they hurt my ears a bit? After the gym yesterday (first time with the beats x) I had a bit of a headache/earache.. so not sure if thats du to these. Will be mulling it over and trying different sized headphones before I return!

I've just purchased some Beats X; Not overall impressed though, I think they hurt my ears a bit? After the gym yesterday (first time with the beats x) I had a bit of a headache/earache.. so not sure if thats du to these. Will be mulling it over and trying different sized headphones before I return!

ummm they beats I think that's de issue.o_O

Back