Bluring at the edges

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm a newbie here & looking for Macro help

I took a few shots with my newly acquired 60mm AF-D at the weekend. The central section on this shot looks OK to my untrained eye, but further out from the centre the sharpness deteriorates
DSC_0154.jpg

I was using the aperture priority setting on my D40, with the widest aperture possible given the light. Any suggestions on getting more of the shot sharply focussed would be appreciated.

Thanks

This is normal for a macro lens. The shot looks sharp. You get a very small DOF on macro, even if you have the aperture set to F20 for example. The way to get around this is with a process called focus stacking. You take a number of shots each with a slightly different focus point and then merge them.

As Sara says this due to the very narrow focus band when shooting big apertures (f4.2 for this picture) if you take the picture again but keep the sensor parallel to the back of the watch all of the picture will be sharp, or shoot at the same angle with the aperture set between f11 & f16 and you will see how aperture affects DOF as the focus band gets wider.

Back