Blurred corner - I'd appreciate some thoughts

mobilevirgin

I'm a cheeky little sausage
Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I'd appreciate some thoughts on these pics, taken by a friend of mine with an Olympus P&S.

You can see a slightly blurred area to the top left of the landscape shot and to the top right of the portrait one (its the same place because she rotates the camera to the right to take portrait shots).

Any ideas what's causing it? Its consistent across all her shots (I've only uploaded 2 here, but I've seen more and they show the same issue). She wondered whether it was something on the lens, but I think that unlikely - a lens needs to be pretty mucky before it shows up on an image. I'm suspecting the sensor is on its way out, but I'd be interested if anyone else has any thoughts.

Cheers

The pics:

[1]

bridgeblip.jpg

[2]

snowagain015.jpg

It could be a lot of things, moisture in the lens, something on/or the sensor, lens alignment. Really you need to take more shots in a warm dry place to eliminate some of it.

have you / she tried taking any other pics using a different lens? then you'd know if it's sensor or lens.

tbh none of the corners are particularly good, but that one is just worst.

could be crap on the lens, moisture, fingerprint, or misalignment, maybe even damage.

I'm thinking along the same lines as Wayne, maybe condensation in the lens?

have you / she tried taking any other pics using a different lens? then you'd know if it's sensor or lens.

Maybe a bit difficult with a P&S. ;)

I'm thinking along the same lines as Wayne, maybe condensation in the lens?

Maybe a bit difficult with a P&S. ;)

ah well you see... that's why you're a mod and i'm just a member :puke:
didn't spot that bit :bonk:

Thanks, people - appreciate you taking the time. Unfortunately, I'm trying to diagnose this at a distance. She says she noticed the issue a few weeks ago and assumed it was a weird light effect (which it clearly isn't). I'm assuming the lens is clean, but I'll tell her to make sure it is, just to eliminate that as the cause. Its partly the location of the blur - right in the corner - that makes me think it isn't the lens.

I've just had a look at another landscape one and there does indeed seem to be some blur on both the top corners, with the left being the worse.

If anyone's got any more thoughts, then I'd be grateful to hear them.

snowagain011.jpg

Surely it would be more of a Bokeh on a lens. Two corners of the pictures show blurring but a lens is round, or at least on my camera LOL.

If it where a fingerprint would you not get an out of fucus area in the middle of one edge on just one edge or corner. A fingerprint would give more of a local blur in one corner not over the whole length of the top of the image ( bottom of the lens ) ?

Looks to me like all four corners have a problem with differing exposures :thinking:

ChrisH - that was my thinking - you've just articulated it better than me.

If you look very carefully all 4 corners are blurred to some degree. This makes me think of the " I wiped the water of my lens with my t-shirt " syndrome. It could be that although she thinks the lens is clean it's actualy got a rim of grime around the outside of the lens.

It kind of reminds me of the old wedding togs vaseline ring around the edge of the lens to give blur.

2010-08-28_112815.jpg

This image was stolen from

http://gizmodo.com/5624523/use-a-dab-of-vaseline-to-take-vintage+style-photos

If the lens has a ring of grease around the outer perimeter it would only show in the corners of the image. Think of a square inside a circle, only the corners touch the circle.

Maybe the lens looks clean but on a P&S the lenses tend to be tiny so even a 3mm ring of crud would show up in the corners of the shot.

Look closely at the bottom corners they are muddy as well as the top corners. In the 1st picture take particular attention to the bottom right corner :D

Last edited:
Now that makes a lot more sense and is a convincing argument that it could be a lens / crud issue. I've refrained from emailing her an answer until this thread had had a chance to develop. I will do so now and tell her to give the lens a proper clean with a proper cloth. I'll report back. Many thanks - again. You've all been very helpful.

I don't know the camera in question but some compacts have quite a small front element, it would be easy enough to miss a corner wiping it clean or wiping off condensation.

I'd appreciate some thoughts on these pics, taken by a friend of mine with an Olympus P&S.

You can see a slightly blurred area to the top left of the landscape shot and to the top right of the portrait one (its the same place because she rotates the camera to the right to take portrait shots).

Any ideas what's causing it? Its consistent across all her shots (I've only uploaded 2 here, but I've seen more and they show the same issue). She wondered whether it was something on the lens, but I think that unlikely - a lens needs to be pretty mucky before it shows up on an image. I'm suspecting the sensor is on its way out, but I'd be interested if anyone else has any thoughts.

Cheers

The pics:

[1]

bridgeblip.jpg

[2]

snowagain015.jpg

finger print

She takes nice photos though....!!!

Tell her its broken and to bin it and buy a DSLR :LOL:

Looks like dirt/fingerprints to me too.

Back