Body limits

Edit My Images
No
A few people have suggested to me that plastic bodied cameras have a limit to the size (weight) of lens you should fit.:shrug:
I have a 400d and use a 75-200 L f4 most of the time and I have contemplated buying an extender soon. Will a 400d take so much weigh or should I start saving and buy a metal bodied camera?

BTW I generally don't use the camera on a tripod if that helps.

In advance, many thanks and a happy New Year to you all.:wave:

I think someones winding you up :)

I suppose a plastic bodied camera may not be able to take the strain of a heavy lens if held by the body alone as well as a metal bodied one, but if you're sensible and carry the camera an lens so as to support the weight properly, there shouldn't be any issues.

I quite often use my 150-500 on my camera, although I do tend to support the lens with my left hand mostly, wouldnt risk its full weight on it. So it can take a fair amount of weight, but as with everything there are always stress limits on them so best bet is to play it safe. But i cant imagine the 70-200 with a convertor on it will be to heavy.

So plastic bodies will not be as strong, but being moulded they still have quite a strength to them.

As long as you support the lens adequately you should have no problem :)

That was my initial thought too.

Many thanks for putting my unsure mind at rest. Should make the GLW happier too.

Back