Body upgrade Canon 1div or 7Dii?

I wish my 7D MkII knocked spots of the 1D MkIV. it would be a bloody sight better than it is if it did.

I don't think anybody, especially me, has said the 7D MkII knocks spots off a 1D MkIV in the thread. I've only ever used a 1D MkIV for about half a day when I swapped my 5D MkIII with a friend for a while. He offered me a swap as well but I decided to keep the 5D. The only 1D model that MY 7D MkII knocks spots off for certainty is the 1D MkIII that I had and that's what I was going by. Talk about threads being taken out of context, this is MY opinion and is therefore correct to ME.

I don't think anybody, especially me, has said the 7D MkII knocks spots off a 1D MkIV in the thread. I've only ever used a 1D MkIV for about half a day when I swapped my 5D MkIII with a friend for a while. He offered me a swap as well but I decided to keep the 5D. The only 1D model that MY 7D MkII knocks spots off for certainty is the 1D MkIII that I had and that's what I was going by. Talk about threads being taken out of context, this is MY opinion and is therefore correct to ME.

Did I quote your post? No

My post is MY opinion and therefore correct to ME

So get off your high horse!!

I wish my 7D MkII knocked spots of the 1D MkIV. it would be a bloody sight better than it is if it did.
I was so enamored with the 1Dx's that I sold both of my MkIV's and now I'm sitting here waiting for a courier to deliver one.....over 5 years after I bought the first one. Au revoir 7D2, you won't be missed.

Bob

I was so enamored with the 1Dx's that I sold both of my MkIV's and now I'm sitting here waiting for a courier to deliver one.....over 5 years after I bought the first one. Au revoir 7D2, you won't be missed.

Bob
Hi bob can i ask were you are getting your 1DX from.if you don't mind me asking iim thinking about it as well the new 5D4 some time never and 100-400 2

Hi bob can i ask were you are getting your 1DX from.if you don't mind me asking iim thinking about it as well the new 5D4 some time never and 100-400 2
Sorry, you are maybe confused by my wording. I've had 1Dx's since they were released (2012) and I sold the 1D4's but I've now bought a 1D4 again to replace the 7D2.

Bob

Bob
I couldn't have put it better myself.

Really interesting thread and covers things I've been pondering for a while.

I started with a 40D, which I still have, and very quickly upgraded to a 5D2 which I am extremely happy with. The main things I shoot are headshots (studio and natural light) and productions (stage and film BTS).

I need a second camera capable of low light, the 3200 ISO from my 5D2 is perfectly fine. I'd really like a bit of extra reach so the 7D2 sounds like a great option. The only thing that worries me is the high ISO performance.

If the 7D2 has any issues in low light I'm thinking either 6D or another 5D2.

Bottom line is, can the 7D2 shoot as cleanly as the 5D2 at 3200 ISO, or even better?

I started with a 40D, which I still have, and very quickly upgraded to a 5D2 which I am extremely happy with. The main things I shoot are headshots (studio and natural light) and productions (stage and film BTS).

I need a second camera capable of low light, the 3200 ISO from my 5D2 is perfectly fine. I'd really like a bit of extra reach so the 7D2 sounds like a great option. The only thing that worries me is the high ISO performance.

Bottom line is, can the 7D2 shoot as cleanly as the 5D2 at 3200 ISO, or even better?

Never used a 5D2 Jenny but I have had a 5D3 and at ISO3200 the 7D MkII cannot compete. I would say it is easily a stop worse. Now if you crop the FF size for size then it may be closer. I would be thinking about a 6D which arguably has better ISO handling than the 5D3. I would have to be pretty desperate to use my 7D MkII @ 3200

Go with a 5d mkiii i love mine you won't regret it better in low light than the 7d and the 5d mkii and better Af than the 5 d mkii with a better frame rate to boot. I was looking at the mk 2 7d but have decided to go down the 1Dx route.
That said Bob has made me wonder if I am doing the right thing getting rid of the
1d mkiv choices, choices.
Rich

I would say that the grey import price of £950 ish makes it a good buy, full uk £1429 is putting it up against second hand 5dmk3/1dmk4 so it's a no brainer.
Being a owner of all three in the past i'll just be keeping my 7dmk2 for macro and looking at a 1dx in the new year.

Go with a 5d mkiii i love mine you won't regret it better in low light than the 7d and the 5d mkii and better Af than the 5 d mkii with a better frame rate to boot. I was looking at the mk 2 7d but have decided to go down the 1Dx route.
That said Bob has made me wonder if I am doing the right thing getting rid of the
1d mkiv choices, choices.
Rich

Sure, but that doesn't give me the extra reach from the 1.6. Though I would be able to use 2 cameras with different lenses in low light, so it's part of the way there.

Last edited:
Thank you Stuart for the kind comments.

I've used an extender on the MkII. The Red Kites above were taken with a 500 f4 + 1.4.

I think that both the MkIV and MkII are fairly close in terms of ISO handling. I feel that the noise on the MKII is a bit coarse but there are some very good noise programmes to use to help with it.

New cameras are a learning experience for most people. Moving from a 1D MkIV to a 1DX at first glance doesn't seem a big deal. In reality the extra features on the 1DX need some time to learn about and to get the best out of them. So it will be for you whatever you decide to buy.

Most of my time now goes into trying to set my cameras up so that I don't miss opportunities that present themselves and having confidence in the camera is an important part of this process. Learning about the different AF cases etc and when to use them. I have that confidence in my 1DX but not quite as much in my MkII. As Bob posted above, this isnt about single point static images, its about movement and BIF etc.

Personally I would go for the MkII, but its a close decision. I do think that the AF system has a definite edge on the MKIV, but I found the MkIV very quick to lock on when I compared my 5D3 with it but the 5D3 tracked better.

As an example of relatively high ISO images this is one at ISO 2000 when I was messing around with my 1DX just after I bought it

Kingfisher

And for something more extreme this is ISO 6400

Osprey

Hiya Gaz,sod it, I wrote a load of stuff to you last night,I'm in a constant rush I couldn't have hit submit when i ran off lord I'm hopeless humble apologies sorry mate!! Buddy I remember starting with how grateful I am for the pictures and the time taken. I'll be reading back through this all a few times no doubt,trying to absorb all the details and opinions so kindly given. The pictures as well as illustrating your points are also a thing of beauty to stare at ..... your making my study into a pleasure !!

Gaz lets start with the extenders,do you ever use the 2x mark iii version. I'm side tracking a bit ,but in many ways how the cameras might preform with one is part of my evaluation. Gaz I'm under the impression that both mark iii versions ie 2x and 1.4 times were designed to preform at their optimum with the mark ii superteles. Again i'm under the impression that the image quality took a step up with the 2x mark iii whereas maybe the 1.4 didn't change so much, but sure other benefits were introduced stronger at the mount point the chip to work with the newest lenses etc.. I'm also under the impression that the extenders slow focus, this seems relative to the amount of "magnification" ,logical, if I've understood my reading correctly. So Gaz first up have you any thoughts on IQ relative to a 300 f/2.8 is. Second would you have a preference for one body over another to drive these lens extender combination. I don't shoot with an extender glued,tis all about shooting senarios,but it seems pertinent that I ponder the cameras' performance and dig for thoughts there of relative to the gear I have now , Gaz how do you feel about the 2x iii image quality?

So if one took extenders into account would that make any difference in one's choice,or maybe i'm just way of the mark and this shouldn't be part of my reasoning process ,in trying to decide on the right choice for me?

From my previous exploration I had come to the conclusion that the iso performance of the iv might be slightly better than the ii ,it is in my uneducated world part of the iv's plus points,but you feel they are very similar thanks for this.

Gaz your notes on lock time,tracking and the iv and the 5Diii:,I found a comparison betwixt the "7Dii the 5Dii and the 1Dx at the" digital picture"(interesting read I'll provide a link if anyone wants it),these cameras all use a version (not saying it's equal) of canons AFiii AIservo autufocus technologies (I think I have that correct), chuck Westafall (sp?) mentions the 5Diii to be the slowest of the 3 on initial aquisition. Could you draw out that to the iv and ii does the same thing equate if one replaced the 5D iii with the 7Dii. ,or alternatively why ,what areas do you think the 7dii has the edge focus system wise. Ha and yes this is utterly about movement !!!!

Finally,this is completely off topic but it is so important to me and was not part of my post last night

, Gaz Stoo please don't fall out because of me,if you have differing views it's cool,but my post has sparked a disagreement,that I wish wasn't happening ,guys life is too short to worry on such things .

Lads for 9 years I've been a care worker,i've done all I could to help a mate fought the fight,oh and by god some more,last year 6 day weeks, 12 days off no chrimbo . Up until 6 weeks back!! Finally(after so much hardship) I thought I was winning my mate had a Dr listening to the dumb carer(me) my mate went from dropping of the planet to a guy adoring life best health for years. I went to work not so long ago and found he had passed,I found him .

With my camera(he couldn't see like you and me) and my love of nature I and my lass opened a door into a wonderful and amazing world he had never seen ,ahh few do. I have felt for a long time that this forum is wonderful and amazing,but there is a problem,folks defend here instead of being cool with a load of mates that love the same thing.. I'm utterly bewildered by the kindness you guys have shown to me,you don't know me,you have no reason to help me,but you are trying with everything you have. The one thing I wouldn't want is to put more sadness in the world,life is utterly too short and basically I'm trying to put a perspective on that by telling you about something horrible that I own...Please there is no need for any thing sad on any thread of mine,differ on opinions cool,we are all not made the same.,if we were the world would be just what? Please have fun with me,you both take these wonderful pictures that show your personal love ,lets keep that big picture perspective on what is important. As much as this thread is about which camera is important,oh and this is monster for me,I just don't want any animosity or sadness created because I posted here.Please show your passion and love please educate me please give me a perspective on how you do it,

But let's do it with big smiley thangs huh,life really is too short and too precious to waste especially when we all have that same passion,

take care

Stu

Great idea, Richard, I would be very happy to team up so Stu could have a play with both.
Sue is there more room in Malvern for mad folks:wave:

Richard, Sue unreal kindness cheers both,this weekend is already written off here but maybe we could get together I'll promise to make you smile little more though. The post above might give some insight into our insanity but if we can find a way to align schedules then maybe we could catch up, Richard I hope your DX works out,not because I am up for maybe grabbing your mark iv,ha ha I bloody well might:) be,nah I just love it when folks get something they want
speak soon both i'll probably try and catch up over the weekend,but if not soon

thanks again

Stu

Hi Stu
No probs Sue uses my bird hide occasionally and is not that far away. I am pretty much free anytime bar a Sunday afternoon. So if you did want to come over at some point feel free.
Just give me a couple of days notice.
Rich

Weekends aren't brilliant for me, but most other times bar Wednesday afternoons [emoji4]

Weekends aren't brilliant for me, but most other times bar Wednesday afternoons [emoji4]
Hmmm, and my life is so messed up I don't even know what time I am to be picked up for work or when I finish. .I work week days on building sites all over the place,jeepers yesterday we were with the kites on the chilterns. Richard Sue please bare with me while I ponder this. Theoretically an evening should be plausible,but having gone to very physical work from being a carer,I'm coming home a train wreck while me old bones catch back up. We start early and finish early while we should,:rolleyes: but I simply don't know more so hoped for a weekend really.

Richard Sue again thankyou for your kindness,it's so lovely of you both, to offer me this chance. What ever happens please know how much I appreciate all this

best always

Stu

As a 1d3 user I can only say they still do the job ,o.k your limited on megapixels and ISO limits but I happily shoot at high ISO when needed ,and the focus speed of any of the 1d series is a must have for wildlife ,if you can get a mark 4 go for it ,if not look for a mark 3 whichever you won't be disappointed ,I can't figure out personally why canon dropped the 1.3 sensor as it really does give the best of both worlds I.e quality and reach

Hmmm, and my life is so messed up I don't even know what time I am to be picked up for work or when I finish. .I work week days on building sites all over the place,jeepers yesterday we were with the kites on the chilterns. Richard Sue please bare with me while I ponder this. Theoretically an evening should be plausible,but having gone to very physical work from being a carer,I'm coming home a train wreck while me old bones catch back up. We start early and finish early while we should,:rolleyes: but I simply don't know more so hoped for a weekend really.

Richard Sue again thankyou for your kindness,it's so lovely of you both, to offer me this chance. What ever happens please know how much I appreciate all this

best always

Stu

Weekends aren't brilliant, but might not be impossible. My husband is in the RN so the only time I see him is at weekends, but if I buy him a good book he might not miss me for an hour or so!

Hi Stu

Have only tried a x2 MkIII once on my 500 Mk1 and wasn’t that impressed. Should stress however that it was at long distance and just for record shots and maybe it would have been different at close range.

I have a friend who uses a x2 MkIII on a 300 2.8 MkII on a 5D£ regularly and gets great results, but he won’t use it on the 7DMkII as he feels it is too much of a compromise.

I use a 1.4 MkIII a lot on my 500 and am very happy with the results. I don’t feel that it compromises AF speed much at all and it would probably be better with the MkII lenses. It’s certainly pretty quick on my 70-200 and 100-400 which are both MkII’s.

The big batteries in the 1 series camera have always been able to drive the superteles faster than Lp-E6 driven bodies. The 7DMkII is the first LP-E6 body that is supposedly capable of doing the same. However, from my tests with my 500 my 1DX drives it faster than the 7DMkII. Maybe the MkII lenses are tuned to achieve the same speed.

One think I have noticed with the 7DMkII is the centre AF point seems big. I often get missed focus on small birds heads. I don’t seem to get that with the other cameras I’ve had. Maybe it’s a AF array v sensor size. I don’t know

I’ve had limited success with BIF with my MkII. I don’t think mine has an AF issue as it seems to track ok and is accurate in one shot AF.

It just doesn’t seem consistent enough but is probably as good as my 1DMkIV was. It seems that several of us who aren’t 100% happy have experience of a 1DX but there are those who have both and are very happy with the 7DMkII whilst some definitely had dodgy bodies.

I only have these issues with BIF. I have used the MkII side by side with my 1DX on rallying. Same lens same position, same conditions and, whilst the 1DX still had the edge I could not reasonably complain about the results I got from the MkII. It was quite a stiff test as the cars were appearing suddenly over th top of a crest so not much time to get the car in focus before it landed again.

As you can see Bob has decided enough is enough with his MkII and is changing it for a 1DMkIV again. I’m still going to persevere a bit longer and try and find the missing bit. If I do change it will be for a 5D3, 5DS or another 1DX.

The 7DmKii has quite a bit more in the way of AF choices and customisation than the MkIV and more AF points and array choices than the 5D3 and 1DX. Also the AF iTR is supposed to be better than both the 5D3 and 1DX. Can’t comment on that as I don’t use it.

Finally, your last couple of paragraphs serve as a reminder to us all that life is short and I am sure that most of us have experience of circumstances that remind us of that. However, there are many keyboard warriors on this forum and it’s quite common to have a little disagreement now and again. I will of course respect your request not to get drawn in Stu.

I'm with Jeff on the 1.3 crop. I wish they still had it.

Hopefully I have added a bit more to the issue at hand. Take it easy and enjoy

Gaz

Ultimately the op has to make a choice and be happy with it. The only real test for me is to use both cameras side by side, so maybe hire them and try them.
The more I use my mk2 the better it gets for me that's all I can say. The final decision is with the op

As a 1d3 user I can only say they still do the job ,o.k your limited on megapixels and ISO limits but I happily shoot at high ISO when needed ,and the focus speed of any of the 1d series is a must have for wildlife ,if you can get a mark 4 go for it ,if not look for a mark 3 whichever you won't be disappointed ,I can't figure out personally why canon dropped the 1.3 sensor as it really does give the best of both worlds I.e quality and reach

Hi Jeff,thanks for the thoughts,I read about a portrait guy recently,still using a 1Diii because he loves the way it renders skin tone.,If it ain't broke.... utterly off topic ,but something that i found cool. That speed and accuracy of focus on a moving subject is becoming ever more important to me.i'll go further in my next post to Gaz,as I want to delve into something he mentioned

thanks for the thoughts

Carlo I didn't acknowledge your earlier post thanks kiddo. I'm starting to lean towards the iv I think.

Waves you are utterly correct damn hard choice this,my own efforts plus the insights given here from folks with more experience has given me much to ponder,, but it's enabling me to evaluate facets I have no experience of

Neil B,thanks for your thoughts ,for clarity are you saying that at the full uk price ,in your opinion one should buy a mark iv(or 5Diii) as a no brainer,i'm reading your post slightly ambiguously,that will be my bad not yours Neil. eng lang is somewhat of a struggle for me,but i've also been impressed by some of your pics,so I'd like to be sure on your thoughts please,many thanks

Oh Jenny,it's great that the kindness given here has been of use to someone else best 'o' of luck with your endevours kiddo

many thanks guys

Stu

Hi Jeff,thanks for the thoughts,I read about a portrait guy recently,still using a 1Diii because he loves the way it renders skin tone.,If it ain't broke.... utterly off topic ,but something that i found cool. That speed and accuracy of focus on a moving subject is becoming ever more important to me.i'll go further in my next post to Gaz,as I want to delve into something he mentioned

thanks for the thoughts

Carlo I didn't acknowledge your earlier post thanks kiddo. I'm starting to lean towards the iv I think.

Waves you are utterly correct damn hard choice this,my own efforts plus the insights given here from folks with more experience has given me much to ponder,, but it's enabling me to evaluate facets I have no experience of

Neil B,thanks for your thoughts ,for clarity are you saying that at the full uk price ,in your opinion one should buy a mark iv(or 5Diii) as a no brainer,i'm reading your post slightly ambiguously,that will be my bad not yours Neil. eng lang is somewhat of a struggle for me,but i've also been impressed by some of your pics,so I'd like to be sure on your thoughts please,many thanks

Oh Jenny,it's great that the kindness given here has been of use to someone else best 'o' of luck with your endevours kiddo

many thanks guys

Stu

Hi Stu

Have only tried a x2 MkIII once on my 500 Mk1 and wasn’t that impressed. Should stress however that it was at long distance and just for record shots and maybe it would have been different at close range.

I have a friend who uses a x2 MkIII on a 300 2.8 MkII on a 5D£ regularly and gets great results, but he won’t use it on the 7DMkII as he feels it is too much of a compromise.

I use a 1.4 MkIII a lot on my 500 and am very happy with the results. I don’t feel that it compromises AF speed much at all and it would probably be better with the MkII lenses. It’s certainly pretty quick on my 70-200 and 100-400 which are both MkII’s.

The big batteries in the 1 series camera have always been able to drive the superteles faster than Lp-E6 driven bodies. The 7DMkII is the first LP-E6 body that is supposedly capable of doing the same. However, from my tests with my 500 my 1DX drives it faster than the 7DMkII. Maybe the MkII lenses are tuned to achieve the same speed.

One think I have noticed with the 7DMkII is the centre AF point seems big. I often get missed focus on small birds heads. I don’t seem to get that with the other cameras I’ve had. Maybe it’s a AF array v sensor size. I don’t know

I’ve had limited success with BIF with my MkII. I don’t think mine has an AF issue as it seems to track ok and is accurate in one shot AF.

It just doesn’t seem consistent enough but is probably as good as my 1DMkIV was. It seems that several of us who aren’t 100% happy have experience of a 1DX but there are those who have both and are very happy with the 7DMkII whilst some definitely had dodgy bodies.

I only have these issues with BIF. I have used the MkII side by side with my 1DX on rallying. Same lens same position, same conditions and, whilst the 1DX still had the edge I could not reasonably complain about the results I got from the MkII. It was quite a stiff test as the cars were appearing suddenly over th top of a crest so not much time to get the car in focus before it landed again.

As you can see Bob has decided enough is enough with his MkII and is changing it for a 1DMkIV again. I’m still going to persevere a bit longer and try and find the missing bit. If I do change it will be for a 5D3, 5DS or another 1DX.

The 7DmKii has quite a bit more in the way of AF choices and customisation than the MkIV and more AF points and array choices than the 5D3 and 1DX. Also the AF iTR is supposed to be better than both the 5D3 and 1DX. Can’t comment on that as I don’t use it.

Finally, your last couple of paragraphs serve as a reminder to us all that life is short and I am sure that most of us have experience of circumstances that remind us of that. However, there are many keyboard warriors on this forum and it’s quite common to have a little disagreement now and again. I will of course respect your request not to get drawn in Stu.

I'm with Jeff on the 1.3 crop. I wish they still had it.

Hopefully I have added a bit more to the issue at hand. Take it easy and enjoy

Gaz

Gaz,thanks firstly for the acknowledgement of my thoughts and the way they were so kindly taken about spats on fora. you are spot on what happened to me happens to others,you absolutlely got why I used it,not 'cause i'm a special case just to illustrate how prescious our time can be. In all honestly these disagreements happen in many fora . I'm a soft old sod it has to be said,plus it takes a slightly peculiar mindset to be able to turn the other cheek in the real world as a professional in care. we can been physically attacked by folks that really don't know what they are doing,so I guess my mindset on disputes is also slightly left field . In many cases I feel they are harder to sort back out though than a real life niggle and sometimes they go way further than they should....... anyway enough of that I just wanted to say thanks and yes to the matter at hand.

Gaz that confidence in the tools in a given a shooting situation is something I yearn for on a huge level. I suppose mine is pretty low at this point. i'm the first to point out the limitations of my skill set!! Again yesterday I got myself gifted an incredible set of circumstances: I caught up with what I can only believe was a family of Kestrels that had recently fledged and were in full bore hunting/ learning the ropes mode,working the wind on a small escarpment. With a fairly low sun at my back shooting off a road with a good few folks about the birds were not phased by my presence at all, just condition wise wonderful. Yet i'm utterly unimpressed with what I brought home picture wise and I had chance upon chance to get things right. Jeepers Gaz I honestly wish that chance had of gone to one of you 'orrible lot now,we'ed be musing some stunning pictures not only of hovering but stoops mapie mobbing the works,hey ho. This ramble is not a tale of woe i'm very upbeat: it was a stunning experience!! ,It's just brought home to me that possibly the single most important facet of my potential new camera is the one that nails focus accurately and most consistently. Everything else now seems secondary to this, it doesn't matter how good potential IQ is if my image is not sharp As noted above you feel the two bodies are close and yes Bob's thoughts on his choice are resounding here. I deeply admire your persistence with the 7Dii,but you good folks are backed by much greater experience base than I I really feel i'm starting to lean towards the iv now if I can find the right body. hopefully I can catch up with Sue and Richard and I might at least be sure which feels best in my hands even if I can't fully evaluate such issues as speed of focus etc.

Hmmmm BIF really does seem to be demanding not only of the Tog's skillset,but also the camera interesting notes there on the comparison with car rallying thankyou,

Yes the 1.3 crop is appealing to me aswell,i've oft mused whether it might just be slightly more forgiving of my failings than the densely packed sensors of the smaller 1.6crop bodies as a side note,i'm told in the real world there won't be much difference,but I wonder.

Gaz again a note of thanks for the time you have so generously given me,these haven't been little posts,but something of depth for me to dig into,huge gratitude here!!!

Guys one little thing,I ware glasses for distance,short sight great,so when taking pics I have specs on,could anyone give me any thoughts on the viewfinders of these two cameras please? I've come across reports that the 7Dii in manual mode can be difficult to read,the exposure meter(not sure if my terminology is correct there),I believe it runs up the side,not at the bottom in manual and this has caused issues for some.

take care

Stu

Guys one little thing,I ware glasses for distance,short sight great,so when taking pics I have specs on,could anyone give me any thoughts on the viewfinders of these two cameras please? I've come across reports that the 7Dii in manual mode can be difficult to read,the exposure meter(not sure if my terminology is correct there),I believe it runs up the side,not at the bottom in manual and this has caused issues for some.

take care

Stu

Hi Stu,

I have the same issue regarding eyesight as you, I find the 7D Mark II to be fine to read when the eyepiece is adjusted properly.

Joe

P.S
If it is of any interest to you I recently did a review of the 7D Mark II.
http://joeturnernaturephotography.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/7d-mark-ii-review-for-wildlife.html

Hi Stu,

I have the same issue regarding eyesight as you, I find the 7D Mark II to be fine to read when the eyepiece is adjusted properly.

Joe

P.S
If it is of any interest to you I recently did a review of the 7D Mark II.
http://joeturnernaturephotography.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/7d-mark-ii-review-for-wildlife.html

Hi Joe,thanks for this very useful to know. Joe I've read to your review l like the style not too complex for folks like me but still very informative. i've been lurking a while Joe you are another like so many that have inspired me here. thanks for taking the time mate much appreciation

best

Stu

Hi Joe,thanks for this very useful to know. Joe I've read to your review l like the style not too complex for folks like me but still very informative. i've been lurking a while Joe you are another like so many that have inspired me here. thanks for taking the time mate much appreciation

best

Stu

No Worries Stu, Lovely to hear comments like that from yourself :)

Joe

Unfortunately taking good b.i.f shots does not just depend on the camera ,it is only part of the package ,you need a fast accurate camera ,but also a lens you can trust to deliver the goods ,you also need to be able to process the shots taken properly ,and finally you need to use your equipment a lot to ensure that whatever is thrown at you the results are worth the effort .as I said it a package and you have to have confidence in every single aspect of it and in your own abilities

Unfortunately taking good b.i.f shots does not just depend on the camera ,it is only part of the package ,you need a fast accurate camera ,but also a lens you can trust to deliver the goods ,you also need to be able to process the shots taken properly ,and finally you need to use your equipment a lot to ensure that whatever is thrown at you the results are worth the effort .as I said it a package and you have to have confidence in every single aspect of it and in your own abilities

Jeff, I should be able to trust a 300f2.8,it is a bit short focal length for this I know that,but at the time I felt is was the best I could possibly afford,plus I can build on other skills i've earnt to get close,which was my take on why I might be able to use such a lens .My camera for this aspect of photography,no not so much and,I guess 50plus years of being me make me a realist as to me own abilities,at this time,out right confidence in me as a realist,isn't there. That said I practice much and am evaluating what I do,it's getting better and tighter,exposure nearer the mark mounting the camera to eye sharper,not there yet but again slow but sure stuff. Yesterday was hard,but failure only makes me want to try harder and by god I had a ball. I don't believe on any level a new camera will bring anything other than a better chance of achieving my goals, I'm under no illusion that I'm going to suddenly become better at this because of a tool,or that it will miraculously make me a good wildlife tog, But I think it is a sound mindset to try and get the right tool for a job,simply put as a practical guy I can cut a 45 angle with a handsaw,it's just easier and a gnat's more accurate with a chop saw. Post processing is a big deal,at this stage though, my mindset is set on what comes out of the camera,sure I'm using ettr and sure even that means a manipulation of sort,straight off the bat. But my primary goal is a sharp image correctly exposed at this time. I firmly believe the rest will follow.

At this time the result is not worth the effort,without question,but that is my bag to carry. but i'm not chasing something mediocre. Whether I have it in me to get what I want is another thing entirely ha who knows mate,one can but try:). Learning something is about that for me pushing me as far as I can go,I'm simply not interested in being better than another or kudos nowt like that. i'm enjoying a journey bro, actually i'm adoring the journey,i'm painting with light not a brush and spending time with wild fauna and sharing that joy with my lass. Nailing a shot or two would be cool and no doubt I'm frustrated. I wouldn't say they are horrible images Jeff, but I feel there is more to be had if I graft hard enough and maybe grab the right tool,which is basically what this thread is about. For the crack i'm going to try and show you a couple from yesterday.I don't know whether this will work ,computers are not my strongest point and I haven't uploaded anything here or really studied this mechanism for this forum as of yet,because I didn't think I'd want to share anything so soon,but they might help you guys help me so here goes.

Thanks for the thoughts kiddo I concur completely and they are something I aspire too,but i'm not there yet,it's a work in progress. Ha me and confidence,watch me play the drum a few years back you would think you were watching the most confident guy in the world,the truth is before that gig i'd most likely have been physically ill

take care

Stu

Back