Booties are open again

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Well just found out that they started on July 26th (where I live) and have missed two sundays :crying:. This covid problem might make things better as I'm guessing there will be a one system and one person at a stall at a time......it will stop people scrambling on the popular stalls and stop the thieves as well as the stall holder can't watch every person, also stop pick pockets stealing from people close together busy looking for bargains....well lets hope my guessing is correct and am looking forward to next sunday.

Are you sure it's a bootie your going to Brian? It sounds more like an open day at Pentonville Prison :)

Just a heads up as we all like something for nothing...at the council dump keep your eyes open to see what others are dumping. A month or so ago saw this guy about to dump a lovely Raleigh bike, well I said "I'll have that" anyway nothing wrong with it:- 18 gears, good tyres, brakes, smooth riding etc and when I eventually see my grand daughter (13) she will be so pleased as her old bike is too small now.

Beware of the totters if you're getting stuff off people at the dump - some of them get a bit upset since selling on useable stuff is a nice little earner for them!

Our dump doesn't allow it !

Well you have to catch the person just taking something out of their car, once it's dumped you can't take it.

Doesn't happen here, they have the guys walking around to make sure the stuff goes in the right skip
and they don't allow anything to but passed on
Suppose being on private land they can do that, but you could get the person to meet you off site

Doesn't happen here, they have the guys walking around to make sure the stuff goes in the right skip
and they don't allow anything to but passed on
Suppose being on private land they can do that, but you could get the person to meet you off site

Oh well it seems I was lucky that no one was around to stop me. It is annoying paying council tax to remove rubbish yet when it is dumped (or going to be dumped) you can't take anything....A legal fiddle going on there.

"Totters' Rights" used to be expensive.

Shame that the U.K. doesn’t follow a similar attitude to what we have out here where one can place ‘ usable ´ objects at the side of the bins for people to take if they wish.
Kids toys, books, clothes and small household items are regularly seen.
I’ve given many items away like that and occasionally obtained one or two.

If unclaimed thé refuse collectors ( for recyclable items) pick them up and take to the tip.

Joe public can dispose objects directly at the waste disposal site but then they become the property of said site !

Car boot sale social distancing is a joke at my local one , some are insisting everybody wears a mask , ours has painted a few 1m lines on the ground , no social distancing at all apart from at the butty wagon where people stand a meter apart hilariously

"Totters' Rights" used to be expensive.

They still are , I know a guy that does it , his franchise costs him 10s of thousands a year plus he in effect supplies free labour to sort the stuff out, nothing gets thrown away unless it can't be recycled , saleable stuff is sold on, scrap weighed in

depends where you are, im in wales and its one rule for us, another for england and scotland etc. Cant keep up anymore, it is so annoying

Have visited three local booties in recent weeks, two with well spaced tables, one had a one way system, the only one with hand sanitiser had stalls too close and scrums of covidiots. Did score a basket of odds and ends at that one including a big AICO thyristor flash with battery pack, off flash sensor, bounce board, colour diffusers and all leads, two cable releases, release adaptor for Leica/Yashica TLR, Cokin P holder with 62mm ring and a P160 polariser.

Well guys I'd do it again and if I get stopped, I get stopped....and I like this quote of many:-
"If you don't try you'll never know, if you don't go after what you want you'll never get it, and if you never ask the answer will always be no... "

talking about dumps we have to book a slot to take our stuff to be dumped on line they allow 8 cars per half hour

Shame that the U.K. doesn’t follow a similar attitude to what we have out here where one can place ‘ usable ´ objects at the side of the bins for people to take if they wish.
We've sort of got that over here ... you ring up the Council and pay for a large item to be collected and they tell you which morning to put it out for collection. On the morning of collection someone nicks it, then the Council men arrive and knock you up asking where you've put it! :oops: :$

If unclaimed thé refuse collectors ( for recyclable items) pick them up and take to the tip.

Joe public can dispose objects directly at the waste disposal site but then they become the property of said site !
They have this system in Glasgow, my wife tells me. Just leave stuff out in your front garden, it's mysteriously gone the next day!

Local tip here has a "reuse cabin" where you can put things (tools, furniture, paint, etc) that you no longer want but may be of use to someone else. I know at least one person whose other/better half says he's the only person who comes back from the tip with more than he set out with :)

Back