Bowens 1500 Pro. Which Fuse?

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. Just obtained a Bowens Gemini 1500 Pro. Arrived with modelling lamp not installed sent in its original carton. Installed now but the two fuses that came with have both blown when at the end of the session I have fired of a couple of full power flashes and then quickly turning the power off. Not sure of the exact science behind this but when my D750 Pro went weird I was told by the repair people I should carry out this operation after each session. Quite intense with 1500ws.

Have also read about the modelling lamp blowing the fuse but I very rarely use and certainly not when emptying the tubes.

Anyway….. after much research I’ve been unable to find any info into the correct amp fuse required.

However the manual states 20mm fuses (that’s all).

Anyone who could advise would be greatly appreciated.

Just bought these as some as someone was selling fuses a £3.50 a shot not including postage. As there was no tech info included gave it a miss. These appear to have the required dimensions but would like to be sure about which amp before installing.

Attachments

• 61+DF1EB-RL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    61+DF1EB-RL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
It would be best to fit what the manufacturer recommends, but if it was me in your position, I'd start with a 10A anti-surge.

First of all thank you for your reply. With electronics I am so far out of my comfort zone. Just searched for 10 amp anti-surge and I was met with pages of them. Fast blow or slow blow? Ceramic or non ceramic?

Maybe there is a parts/repair business that supplies these but I have spent an insane amount of time searching on this and haven’t come close.

They are not expensive so I’ll give it some time to see if I can get a definitive answer before spending more money.

Again thank you Trevor.

Reactions: Sky
Hello, It wil be a glass fast blow fuse and you just need to read the ampage off the old one. The head has two fitted from new, a live one and a spare. I assume you know this and have tried swapping them around. The live one is further inside the flash head when the fuse holder is inserted. Generally Amazon have them and they should be quite inexpensive, they can be hard to find in the high street. If you can't find the ampage from the old one maybe call Wex as they are, I believe, the distributor having merged (or whatever) with Calumet.

Thanks ilikebowens (so do I). I knew about the installed fuses but as I mentioned the modelling lamp was not installed which makes me question if this was a problem known to the seller who then removed the lamp and replaced the fuses, which would now not make them a lot of use reference wise.

Thank you for your time and advice. I will give Wex a call tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back again but maybe found the problem. The blown fuse in the unit is a

T10A L250V​

which is a slow blow fuse.

Ilikebowens, if you are correct and I have no reason to doubt you, then the fuses have been changed at some point but not with the correct replacements.

And so there appears to have previously been a problem with the flash causing the fuses to blow which may or may not be the modelling lamp.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Hi Simon.

Thanks for the info. Have emailed Wex to see if they can help. The blown fuse in the unit is a T10A L250V but I have a feeling this is a replacement. The Pro 750 on the chart, not really sure I’ve got the correct model is a Esprit 750 PRO not Gemini, states a T15A 250V.

Have bought a pack of the T10A L250Vs arriving tomorrow, as they are the only thing I can go with at the moment until and if Wex get back to me.

Will stop firing of full power flashes and quickly turning off at the end of each session (I believe this clears any gas in the tubes but not positive just advised to do so with my Gemini Pro750). Considering removing the modelling lamp as well.

Thanks for your help and advice Simon

If anyone should own a Bowens Gemini GM1500PRO if they would have a quick look at the installed fuses and get back to me with the tech spec, it would be greatly appreciated.

These older-technology flashes store many thousands of volts in their capacitors, which can make them very hazardous to work on. The advice to dump the power at the end of each session is almost certainly for the benefit of any repair technicians who may end up having to work on them.

The modelling lamps use very little amperage, probably in the region of 1 amp, it's the flash that uses a much higher amperage, so the amperage of the modelling lamp should be irrelevant to the fuse. There will be a plate somewhere, stating the maximum consumption but, in the absence of this info, 10A seems to be about right.

It's normal to remove the modelling lamp and package it safely when a unit is being sold or otherwise transported, not relevant to your situation.

This question might have been better asked in the Lighting Forum

Hi Gary. Sorry for late reply but took Microsofts' advice and updated some drivers. Spent the whole day trying to get the computer to display properly. Never learn. Thanks for info and advice. The seller did make a point of having to hunt for the lamp and so I took it that it wasn’t a permanent fixture. I know some photographers refrain from using the modelling lamps due to the high temperatures they can reach. With these two fuses blowing in quick succession I was wondering if it had been removed for this reason.

New fuses tomorrow (hopefully) and will discover whether there is a more serious problem to be dealt with.

Again thanks for your time.

Hi. Just like to thank all those who took the time to help and pass on their knowledge. It is appreciated. Anyway…. as no definitive answer was out there I went with the T10A L250Vs for the replacements as they were the fuses already installed. These are slow blow, which seems a little counter intuitive but after viewing the page helpfully sent by Simon, it states that there were a few Bowens flashes installed with this type of fuse.

Anyway the flash is popping away and all appears to be okie dokie.

Thanks Chaps.

And "KABOOM!". Not only blew out light based fuse but also one in my homes main fuse box. Huge pop and follow by small puff off smoke. Bulb appears to be ok so but this expense will have to wait.

Last edited:
If something's continually blowing fuses, there's something pretty wrong with it so send it back!

As Nod said 'there's something wrong with it'. I'd suggest you get it tested by a professional if you can't return it.

I'm sure you wouldn't, but just to have it said for safety's sake; do not be tempted to put in a larger fuse. :runaway:

As Nod said 'there's something wrong with it'. I'd suggest you get it tested by a professional if you can't return it.

I'm sure you wouldn't, but just to have it said for safety's sake; do not be tempted to put in a larger fuse. :runaway:
Shades of the 'old car mechanic' wheeze of using the silver paper from a tag packet to "overcome a blowing fuse".

Yonks ago the OH had such an problem.....it came back from the workshop with that wheeze in place. Suffice to say I took the workshop owner task....he saying the fitter who did would be retrained. The workshop actually had a good reputation and we had used them a good few times....but never again after that day.

We took the car to an auto electrician to sort out AOK.

Thanks everyone and I will have it seen to professionally sometime in the future but first I have to consider the potential cost of repair to the actual value of the light.:rolleyes:.

Shades of the 'old car mechanic' wheeze of using the silver paper from a tag packet to "overcome a blowing fuse".
As a TV engineer working for Radio Rentals in a previous life, I once had a TV come in for a 'Major Repair' after a customer had decided to do something similar, but it was a 1/4 inch bolt not silver paper.

Needless the say, the fault that caused the fuse to blow was now allowed to run riot and it set fire to the power supply - luckily not his whole house. There sure are some stupid people in this world. :facepalm:

Reminds me of the time I was running a lighting course with loads of people there to embarrass me . . .

Loud bang as a capacitor blew on a flashy head, which caught fire. I put it out with an extinguisher and said "one of you asked earlier why we have so many heads here, and now you know."

Last edited:
The fire side of things I take rather seriously. My flat is on the bijou side of things and cluttered up to the hilt with photography gear, cameras (old ones) and lighting set ups. You do not get out of here quickly. Have to climb every where, so messing with fire hazards is a big no no. Have a large red fire extinguisher here somewhere. Somewhere. Not to worry, onwards and upwards.

Last edited:
Back