Brands Hatch GP Circuit

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
No
I'm heading to Brands Hatch for both days this weekend for the Historic Masters.

They will be using the GP layout which I've never been round before and I was wondering if there is any spots where you can use a 500mm prime?

Or shall in just stick with the 100-400 for convenience?

Many thanks

Last edited:
Hi,

Partly depends on whether you are using full frame or crop.
Generally your 100-400mm will give you the reach you need for cars, particularly on your 7Dii, the 500mm would come into its own more for bikes, although there are some places on the GP loop where you could use it. There are corners where shorter than 100mm is ok.

Unfortunately since last year MSV have installed new high heavy gauge fencing on the GP loop and that has made photography much more difficult, it's the main reason I decided not to renew my season ticket this year. There are some 'windows' cut into the fencing but these are limited (this may have improved since I was last there).

Its worth walking round the loop anyway. I like the exit of Surtees onto the GP, Pilgrims drop after the Bridge (need to to be quick to get the shot there) and Stirlings.

Have a great weekend anyway.

That's great, thank you very much for your reply.

I will be taking full frame and cropped but decide what to use depending on the weather when I get there.

I will be attending this with a friend of mine for the first time however the longest lens I have is an 85mm prime, hoping this will give me enough reach in some areas...!!

I will be attending this with a friend of mine for the first time however the longest lens I have is an 85mm prime, hoping this will give me enough reach in some areas...!!

If on a full frame, you could get some nice wide shots on the inside of Druids.

My god, talk about photographer unfriendly.

Think I'm going to have to invest in a set of steps, you can't go anywhere for a decent shot. Fences are far too high.

Last edited:
My god, talk about photographer unfriendly.

Think I'm going to have to invest in a set of steps, you can't go anywhere for a decent shot. Fences are far too high.
Yes i noticed this too, there were some spots here and there but you really do need a bazooka of a lens to make it worth while. The spots at the fences where the holes are cut for photographers were all far too busy to get a look in too!

The spots at the fences where the holes are cut for photographers were all far too busy to get a look in too!

Or the smaller wire fence stopped you from getting near them which made them pointless.

With a nice prime you don’t need to get that close 300- 400mm primes at brands are the ideal lenses for cars at most parts.

I believe the 100-400 has a closer focus distance then the primes my 400mm F4 DO is setable to to 8mtrs never missed a beat when I have been. But I am full frame so a cropped sensor would prefer the 300mm.

But it is a shame about the gp track now it’s a no go for photographers unless you have that bib.

Back