Brands Hatch newbie,any advice.

Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
My brother is racing his sidecar outfit at the BSB season finale' at Brands Hatch on Oct 15th & 16th. Has anyone got any advice on best places to take photos around the circuit. I've never been to Brands before,as its over 3 hours to get there,but have seen lots of coverage on TV over the years. I will have a pit-lane pass so I don't know if that will get me any better view points. I take photos that he can use on his facebook site etc to help him to get sponsors ,but also like taking photos of every class that's racing.
I'm planning on doing 1 practice session at the inside of Druids,but do you need special press pass etc for there,and also either inside of Graham Hill bend or Surtees? Left hand bends are much more photogenic for sidecar outfits as the passenger is way out keeping his weight over the outfit wheel to stop it rolling over,but I need to get both sides to cover all the sponsors requirements.
Equipment is a Canon 60D fitted with either a 55-250 lens or a 100-400mm f5.6 (Both Canon). Will I have enough reach,and are there "catch" fences blocking the view in those places?
Thanks in advance,Robin.

You will be fine for the inside of Druids. You can get into the middle by walking across the bridge from the outside of the track.

Catch fences in the wat at a graham Hill and Surtees, though there are low fences on the entry to clearways and a hole or two in the catch fence further along if they aren't being used by tv crews.

Pit pass will get you access to the pit lane and garages, but no real benefit for action shots as you might not get access to the pit wall whilst the race is on. Be aware from the pits it is quite a trek to other parts of the track as you have to go down the stairs past the cafe, through the tunnel and then up the stairs at the other side and then allow 5 -10 mins to get to other parts of the track round the outside.

Though there are catch fences on the outside of druids, there is a hole for TV cameras that can be used if there is no filming and no-one else wanting to use it.

The outside of druids hasn't got a hole for the tv camera, its usually up a tower but someone has painted part of the fence to make it a bit less visible. You can get some good shots here because your quite close to the fence. Theres not many places round Brands where you will get the left side without having a fence in your way. The hole in the fence is at Clearways just before the start finish straight. Walk up through the retail area, past the big office block and you will see it. Best bet for here is on Friday or early Saturday before they start filming for tv. Carry on round past the medical center and you will get some good head on shots from in the corner coming out of Surtees but you might need a step or solid box to stand on here unless your 6 foot + tall.

Last edited:
I am looking to go to Brands Hatch next Friday for the practice day as I think it will be far less busy. I am not experienced in this area of photography and did not make a particularly good job of my attempt at Thruxton earlier this year.
What gear is recommended for this circuit? I have the new 1DXmk11 which I am sure will be great but I also have a 7Dmk11 with it's crop sensor. lens wise I intend to take the 70-200 2.8 for panning shots but for longer range would the canon 300 f2.8 or sigma 150 - 600 be best and with what camera?
Is there any call for a WA lens?
I am happy to take the lenses but carrying too many around all day is not a great deal of fun.
Also would you recommend shooting in RAW or JPEG?
Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks for the replies Chris and John,and thanks for the hi-jacking Gordon ;o).
I am 6'5" chris954 so should see ok where you described. Pity sidecars look rubbish head on cos his passenger will be tucked under the fairing out of sight I hope.And the driver isn't very photogenic,unlike his much more handsome younger brother!
Pity about the long walk from the pits to any decent places as I'm always torn between spending time with my big bruv and the team and going out around the circuit and getting decent shots. Hopefully he will be doing the full season with the sidecars in the BSB rounds next year. He has recently acquired a major sponsor so hope they stay on-board. He managed to flip it upside down at Mallory Park in his only other foray into the Open sidecar championship and it got caught by the MotorsTV cameras,and on that basis he is now sponsored by a personal accident company!!(Properly Protected). Keep your eye out for Nev Jones and Tom Bryant on outfit 45 its red white and blue stripes.

The head on shot from behind the medicsl center would look ok as its a left hand bend and you will get them on the apex of the corner with the passenger hanging out if you have a long enough lens. To answer fordsabroad, I use a 1d mkiii with a Sigma 120-300 f2.8 and most of the time its adequate (reach wise). I could do with something a little longer for situations like I said above so if I were in your shoes I would probably take the 70-200 on the 1d body and the 150-600 on the 7d body.

Big Rob - Sorry for the hi jacking - no offence meant, I just didn't see any sense starting another Brands hatch thread at this time.
I will go and sit on the naughty step for a while!

My mistake, they are running number 78 if anyone is attending. Just finished 22nd out of 32 in practice,but he says they don't try in practice....it just wastes tyre life!!

Back