Brands

Edit My Images
No
Off to Brands at the weekend for my first visit. Thinking to take my D90, 35mm 1.8, and 70-200mm VRI. Does this sound OK in terms of reach, etc? Expect to be in the paddock.

Also have a Nikon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8, and D700 but want to travel as light as possible.

Thanks thebullet.

I've found the D90 and 70-200mm very sharp, compared to the D700,
and figure the extra reach is going to be needed. Also, I have plenty of
SDHC memory and D90 batteries!

If you want to take candid people shots in the paddock, then the 70-200 is perfect.

If you want to shoot entire cars or pick out details, the 17-50 will be better.

Taking the D700 is even better - the D700 is cracking for pitlane/paddock/grid work

I now you want to travel light and you are talking of taking the D90 plus two lens. But do consider taking the D90 with the 70-200 on and the D700 with the 17-50 (extra weight I know),but you have the best of both worlds. Like desantnik has just said both lenses will have there use in the paddock and if you have both bodies you will be ready to take both sorts of shots.

Only you can decide if the extra convenience of both bodies is worth carrying the extra weight about. Most important ehjoy yourself:D

I found the D3 and 70-200 to be the best kit for the whole day (D700 in your case). I spent a lot of time on the inside of Druids - you can get really close with no high fencing.

brands is great, because they dont have high fences and you can get quite close to the actual track. I would go for the D700 with the 70-200 and the 50 in my pocket.

Another vote for the D700 and 70-200, in my opinion the ideal combination for Brands and probably popping the 50mm in your pocket ain't such a bad idea either

How did it go? Presuming you were at BTCC? What did you take in the end and was it a good choice? I borrowed a 100-400 for the weekend but actually got the best shots from my own 70-200 2.8 especially on the inside of druids where you can get some great panning shots without the fence in the way.

I now you want to travel light and you are talking of taking the D90 plus two lens. But do consider taking the D90 with the 70-200 on and the D700 with the 17-50 (extra weight I know),but you have the best of both worlds. Like desantnik has just said both lenses will have there use in the paddock and if you have both bodies you will be ready to take both sorts of shots.

Only you can decide if the extra convenience of both bodies is worth carrying the extra weight about. Most important ehjoy yourself:D

I don't believe you can use the 17-50mm on the D700 ;)

I would however take the D90 with 17-50mm and 70-200mm :)

I decided to travel light, and took only the D90 and 17-50mm. It proved a wise decision, due to having children with me, but the lens was too short to get up close. Anyway, will post up some pics soon.

Next time, if traveling by myself, would take the 70-200mm (and D700) - good call.

Back