Brave ?

Name
Terry
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone using the Brave browser?
I saw reference to it by "Computer Active" this week in relation to solving the problem of unwelcome adds and popups and being chased around the Web.
As they reckoned, it was excellent and both fast and light on resources I gave it a go.
It is absolutely true. it banishes all add from the face of the earth as well as annoying popups.
YouTube become an advert virgin. opens with out hesitation, everything works so much better.
No waiting for the Adds to load first, everything speeds up.

It also integrates with my Avast software and Avast Passwords.

I do not yet have sufficient experience of it to use it for everything, but may be in the future?

Has anyone else Tried it.?

I now use it as my main browser as I found firefox was beginning to get very slow, 2 months in and no problems at all.
I also use Opera with its VPN and continent locations functions whenever I want to look at stuff that I'm not allowed to.

Just downloaded it, to have a nose ;)

Imported bookmarks are a bit of a pita. but having used FF since god knows when. I guess that`s understandable. It is bloody fast though, I must admit (y)

Just downloaded and had a quick play, bookmarks imported OK and its quick.
thanks for the heads up

Downloaded to fire tablet cannot see a way to import bookmarks
Will try to see if it's any better than the default Silk browser

Apparently you cannot import on android so will be deleting app

Just downloaded to the iMac and bookmarks transferred faultlessly and immediately!
Cleaned up the loading page of all the 'extras', which was easy so I'll continue giving it a trial.

I have 4 browsers that I use, though FF is the main one:, Firefox, Opera, Brave and Vivaldi. I like to be able to at least attempt to keep parts of my browsing life separate, so FF uses a Google home page, while the others use duckduckgo and reject cookies on closing.

They all work fine most of the time.

I use it now and again but have never really felt comfortable with it, I still tend to use Firefox + VPN with plenty of privacy and anti track/finger printing add ons. It always amazes me how many websites are trying to track you and what you are looking at, data protection is a farce. I'll have to give it another go. For my search page I always use DuckDuckgo. I never get targeted adds and the addons remove all popups.

Last edited:
I have been using it for a couple of years. The backend is identical to Chrome so functionality is also the same. The ad blocking is well implemented. I use it on both PC and iPhone.

Will give it go, it's like we've regressed to the late 90s with the never ending stream of popups and ads on websites these days, even with ad blocking software (who have been paid off to allow some ads defeating the purpose of them!)

Just had another go I find it really slow ( am running it on Linux) and cannot for the life of me work out how to get back to my home page ! I know it's probably me but how do you do it ? Also everytime I try to go to extensions it tries to send me through Google ( I don't like Google)

Last edited:
Brave has some rather dubious business practices, such as replacing advertising with its own payment model from which they obviously cream off a profit.

Of course none of you would be browsing TP with an ad-blocked browser would you? After all this free service is funded by that advertising revenue...

Brave has some rather dubious business practices, such as replacing advertising with its own payment model from which they obviously cream off a profit.

How does that work then. I've never seen any ads by Brave (other than on the home screen) and they're certainly not profiting from me.

Of course none of you would be browsing TP with an ad-blocked browser would you? After all this free service is funded by that advertising revenue...

On my main PC. Afraid so
On my iPad, No but I never see ads anyway

Last edited:
Just found out why I have no Home button ! I'm guessing as I'm using Linux it thinks it is a tablet , There is a known fault that there is no Home button on tablets ! Also seems to be no way to auto delete my History. I'll try reloading a new version.

Just found out why I have no Home button ! I'm guessing as I'm using Linux it thinks it is a tablet , There is a known fault that there is no Home button on tablets ! Also seems to be no way to auto delete my History. I'll try reloading a new version.
Not tried it on Linux but I know that there are some issues still.

I'm taking a look at Brave and am impressed with the speed, so far. Has anyone figured out how to get a new tab to be the active tab?

For example, if I click on a thread title here it opens in a new tab but that tab is behind the one I clicked on and I'd like to be in front. Just can't find the setting that does that :(

I've been using FF + Duck Duck Go for everyday browsing for years. Brave looks interesting, and think I'll try it.

What adverts??

I'm taking a look at Brave and am impressed with the speed, so far. Has anyone figured out how to get a new tab to be the active tab?

For example, if I click on a thread title here it opens in a new tab but that tab is behind the one I clicked on and I'd like to be in front. Just can't find the setting that does that :(
Works fine on my iMac but there are historical reports of the problem (2012-2015).

What adverts??
Not sure if that is a facetious comment because you use an ad blocker but if not, we keep the ads as low key as possible but there are some in the header and in some forums.

Seriously, if everyone used ad blockers and things like the Brave browser this site and many others would not be able to continue.

Not sure if that is a facetious comment because you use an ad blocker but if not, we keep the ads as low key as possible but there are some in the header and in some forums.

Seriously, if everyone used ad blockers and things like the Brave browser this site and many others would not be able to continue.
Using bog standard Safari on iPad I don’t see any ads. I think I never have but I am good at ‘blanking’ them mentally :).

Most Adds are provided by Google through their various services.
Companies pay Google for providing this targeted service to display their Adds
Sites such as this one are paid by google for displaying these Adds on their content. and for "Clicks"

If users do not use any Google services to see that content, they do not see those Adds. nothing is actually blocked, as it is not even there.
Google Adds are usually downloaded first before the page content, and are usually selected in line with a users interests, informed by cookies.
This process slows up content delivery.

Some Browsers incorporate Google services and some do not. Those that do not, do not see Google Adds
Google is not the web. it is just a major service provider that uses the web.

Add blockers are different in as much as they block adds on those Google and other providers services.

Ours aren't
No I thought they are too specific.
I see them on my tablet and phone. But brave does not even leave a space for them, it is as if they did not exist it seems that they do not even look for them, It do not know how they do that.
So you only lose some clicks.

I would have thought that if your ads were part of your images, they would not be removed.

How do the ads here work? Back in the day I recall various schemes that were pay per click effectively, so just having an ad visible on your site didn't net you any income at all, it actually had to be used.

Back