Bridge camera recommendations

Name
Selena
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Haven't been on here for a long time!

I'm planning on buying my partner a bridge camera for our anniversary, with a budget of ~£250. It'll be used for days out walking and zoo trips mostly. I don't mind buying second hand kit either.

I've had a Google but there's such a huge range! I don't know where to start.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I've got a little Canon SX 520 HS That I'm more than happy with, I usually just carry it around in the van when I'm out and about
It seems there is a newer model, that still comes in under budget SX 540 HS

3 zoo pictures, straight out of camera, no processing just a resize for web purposes.
(the last 2 shot through glass)

022.jpg034.jpgCham.jpg

Last edited:
Hi!

I haven't been here for a while either:)! I can second Cagey75's recommendations. I bought a Panasonic Lumix FZ72 about 6 months ago from Amazon Marketplace - £199 - refurbished with guarantee. The FZ82 is a later model.

I've been very happy with it. No complaints. It's what you do with it that counts;)!

Good luck!

Thank you guys.
I was looking at the FZ82 so that's an option. The FZ1000 would be good but just spent £500 on a joint photo day at Big Cat Sanctuary next year

That Canon looks decent too so Cobra so will check out the new one.

Type "travel zoom camera" into an Amazon search box which should show you a range of tiny cameras from Canon, Sony and Panasonic. These are compact variations on the bridge camera theme but they are often very capable and several are within your budget. The sensors used in these cameras are the same size as those in bigger bridge models at the price point you're considering.

Alternative might be a micro four thirds cam with 14-42 and 45-150 lenses used. Surprisingly about budget. Quality better than the 1" sensors of bridges. Just a thought.
Failing that, the only bridge I've used (and used plenty) that pleased was the FZ1000. Good optics but more importantly handled like an SLR in terms of speed (focus, lag, shots etc). 25-400 equivalent and fantastic. Budget a little higher but definitely worth it to avoid a frustrating experience.

Alternative might be a micro four thirds cam with 14-42 and 45-150 lenses used. Surprisingly about budget. Quality better than the 1" sensors of bridges. Just a thought.
Failing that, the only bridge I've used (and used plenty) that pleased was the FZ1000. Good optics but more importantly handled like an SLR in terms of speed (focus, lag, shots etc). 25-400 equivalent and fantastic. Budget a little higher but definitely worth it to avoid a frustrating experience.

The FZ1000 does look decent, I linked to a used one earlier on MPB for £309, seems a good price.

Yes, bridges promise the earth but deliver a frustrating, compact-camera-slow experience that just puts me off. Like swimming in treacle.

The only exceptions to this are the FZ1000 and the Sony RX10. Both fly, handle like demons. Proper SLR speed, has to be tried to be believed. Anything other than those two and you're just going to leave it at home IMO (excepting perhaps the ultrazooms P900, Canon SX - slow as dogs, but get it right and it's amazing). Had a P900 briefly - amazing lens, couldn't live with the slooooooooow focus

Took about 20k shots with the Panny FZ1000. Just a superb camera, a future classic.

Last edited:
Thank you, I've talked myself in and out of the FZ1000 multiple times over the past few days. One of my issues is battery life. Reviews say the battery life is ~350 shots.
@danbroad do you think this is accurate? That seems a bit low to me but I've had a DSLR for years now so maybe not.

:wave:
Hi Selena, how are things ?

How are things with you? Seen any cute, fluffy animals recently?

Not since I got to see the wolverine kitts at whipsnade, damn thing are turbo charged :eek:

Given up work so should have more time to spend with the camera but not happening yet

I echo the FZ1000 comments; The RX10 series and this will very likely not disappoint at all, extremely happy with mine. At a push, the FZ300 is pretty good for a smalll sensor and has a fixed 2.8 lens though to 600. But the FZ1000 etc will be better. I have the Leica version and that is staying with me to the end!

Cheap OEM or aftermarket batteries are plentiful and reliable. I never had an issue with battery life, depends how you use it of course, I used to pack two for a heavy day of shooting and never used both up in a day even 1000+ shots.

The other thing to note is the 1" sensor in the FZ1000 compares well [crop ability, ISO performance] to the smaller sensor all things equal. So, f/2.8 appeals on the FZ330 but actually you can shoot the FZ lens at f/5.6 or higher with equivalent noise, so the increased lens light gathering ability to keep down the ISO is offset by the smaller sensor IMO.

Last edited:
Back