Bright eyes help

Name
Walter
Edit My Images
Yes
Took this photo of my Granddaughter, love this photo, but when I went to print out at 10x8, it showed her left eye to be very dark, in fact it looks Black, can her eyes be fixed to lighten up or a bit whiter perhaps. thinking if I took it down to a shop printer (I.e. Jessops?) do they have programs to edit eyes , any ideas please. I have no programs to edit eyes, Have Capture NX-D but doesn't seem to fix eyes. Its a Jpeg file. Don't know what happen to this cause she has the most beautiful eyes.

Thanking in advance WalterAmelia (4).JPG

Don't know what happen to this…

That is a normal case of an eye too deep in the shadow
of the eye arcade, Walter.

I could try to find a solution on the original RAW file…

Not sure if that would be enough light in there. I am no expert so this may look a pants anyway. What I did was duplicate the layer and set it to a screen blend mode. Which showed there is some detail in there I then duplicated that layer Then added a bit of contrast back in with a curves layer. I suppose you could lighten the eye socket too but hey ho.
Like I say I'm no expert and didnt faff around like I usually would.

Gaz

Eyes.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if that would be enough light in there.

Gary, Me and the Mrs are over the moon with you taking the time and fixing Amelia's eyes, cant thank you enough and mean it, I have printed out a test on to a cheap gloss photo paper I had left over, and it really looks well and bright. Run out of ink on my printer (all my mistakes lol), but will have it printed out over the next couple of days and post the result with frame.
Ps I just put the original photo in Paint and pasted and carefully lined up your fixed eyes, just a very slight colour different but am sure it will print perfect. once again many thanks from a Grateful Granny & Grandad.

Walter

Hi Walter

Thats very kind of you to say. I had no idea you would be using that image. Glad it worked out for you though.
By colour I assume you mean the problem eye looks greener ? I have not changed colours before but a quick Google says you can colour match things so I just had a quick go. Seems to be a bit brighter now though. Could knock it back I guess I'll post it here to see if there is nayhting to be gained.

Thanks again.

Gaz

Eyes_colour.jpg

Gary, sorry if I got you mixed up, I think the eyes are great, it was just a slight variation in skin colour when I pasted which I have got mixed up, the below original print I printed last week (eye black), fixed print 2 is the one I printed last night which I am very happy with as when I get it properly printed it will tone in. My printing skills are just as bad and the below photo of print looks actually better compared to below.

Cant seem to upload high resolution photos here, but uploaded photos to my Flickr page under friends view to let you see result better, if you get time. I feel like a nuisance.

Walter

DSC_0997 (Large).JPG

Hi Walter.

I have plenty of free time of an evening so your not a nuisance at all. As you can see i'm on Flickr I checked your stream and can't see a freinds view.I maybe doing something wrong.

Gaz

Last edited:
friends view link above.
Hiya.

Yes I clicked the friends link and the link above they both go to your stream but the images posted here are not showing.

Gaz

ps: At the top of the page it says 13 photos and there are 13 on display ?

Sorry about this Gary, I have clicked the view all button on Flickr to change, it says 18 on display now, so hopefully got them all up, if you get time will you have a look please, I put the original photo up and the one I am going to print with her fixed eyes.

Walter

No worries Walter. Unusually for me I never had a problem with Flickr maybe thats why I have never moved on and shared photos anywhere else. I never messed with who can see my photos. But I just checked my own settings. On Account settings page click the privacy & pemissions tab. Then down page to heading Defaults for new uploads click edit to the left then under who can see my photostream mine is set to Anyone (public). I'm set to any flickr member can comment in the next section.

I still can only see 13 on yours.

Gaz

Result Walter :) Photo looks great too !
Yes very happy with result, would never have got her sitting like that again in the grass, so thank you once again Gary for time and patience with me lol much appreciated.

Ps Will post the photo in frame here hopefully in the next few days

Walter

Back