BRISTOL INTERNATIONAL BALLOON FIESTA

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Next weekend I wish to take some classic photos of the famous Bristol bridge + air baloon. It is the first time I go there, so I'd like to not improvise. I guess it would be wise to spend Saturday night there, so at least I could have the chance to see the balloons ascending 3 times.

Now, I am sure if I just go there without studying the area first I will just go home sad and frustrated, so I'd like to ask you advices about how to increase the chance to get a post card picture of the balloons ascending over the bridge.

For example: best position to take the shot? Focal range to use? Other things I should be aware of?

thanks, I'd like to create a reportage of the event as well. I wonder I should plan the days for the best shots.
Maybe I should try to take the shots on clifton downs the first evening and dawn and then make a reportage Sunday evening?
The light will be good during the evening, but maybe the sunrise would be even better.
I also wonder how long takes to the balloon to get there after they leave the ground.

P.S.:daugirdas inbox is full, I cannot contact him :(

Last edited:
I will thanks, no one else knows about the place? I have more questions ;)

It's not that big up there, just go up to where the observatory is, pick a place to stand and start shooting. Go the day before and wander along the fence line. Take some shots, pick a few places you'd like to stand. There will be a lot of people up there.

It's not that big up there, just go up to where the observatory is, pick a place to stand and start shooting. Go the day before and wander along the fence line. Take some shots, pick a few places you'd like to stand. There will be a lot of people up there.

ok, so there is an observatory, that's a good starting point :)

thank you, this is helpful.

do you perhaps have a B&B to suggest as well? I have got a car.

I bombed the guy, but he still does not answer.

Anyway my fear is that the only kind of photo I can get will look like this:

25534307.jpg

while this one

p1264005250-4.jpg

smells of photoshop to me...what do you think? Do the balloons actually pass over the bridge?

smells of photoshop to me...what do you think? Do the balloons actually pass over the bridge?

Niiiiiice - you're given the contact details of the person on here that probably knows most about the balloon fiesta and then accuse him of photoshopping his images.

If I were him, you wouldn't get any advice at all.

As to where the balloons go - that's rather up to the wind direction, wouldn't you think?

sorry, why should I be wary of criticizing a photo? I just said that the photo looked a little bit too perfect. I could be very well wrong, but the fact I am saying what I am thinking about it has nothing to do with the fact that the guy did not answer.

For the wind you could be right, I hope this is actually what happened, because in case I hope to have the same luck :)

Last edited:
Sebas77

No could be about the direction the baloons travel. It is entirely the gift of nature and a mixture of local conditions and prevailing winds.

In seeking the best place to get the perfect picture - its a moving feast. The observatory attracts loads of people for obvious reasons and overall the fiesta is a fabulous moment in the year for baloon observers and photographers.

You might find some great shots at the site for the day and twilight ascents. Weather permittong there is lots of photo opportunities not just the mass ascents.

Start here for accomodation but you may have left it a bit lste

http://visitbristol.co.uk/accommodation/b-and-bs

S

Last edited:
thank you very much Hugh!

I found a place to stay, now I have just to decide how to spend the time available.

I am torn between camping at the observatory or making a reportage of the event.

I guess it will depend by the weather, I have also to find a way to predict the direction of the balloons if possible...maybe I will ask around what the "pilots" think about it.

thank you very much Hugh!

I found a place to stay, now I have just to decide how to spend the time available.

I am torn between camping at the observatory or making a reportage of the event.

I guess it will depend by the weather, I have also to find a way to predict the direction of the balloons if possible...maybe I will ask around what the "pilots" think about it.

Well a visit to the festival site at least one of the days is a must do. Remember though the fedtivsl attracts a lot of people do movinv in and around can be difficult. The weather can shift flying schedules rapidly too.

Enjoy

S

Get a place to sit on the bank overlooking the arena from 5.00pm onwards. And don't give it up :)

Absolutely

Been a few years since I was well enough to go. So looking foreard to tomorrow.

Have had some great shots of baloons during the past few years along the Chew Valley, over Bath and Bristol. Even one landing on a cricket pitch near the Globe roundabout on the A4 during a game! Mind you the Royal United Hospital Helipad is on a cricket pitch and yes helicopter stops play!

As I live in the vicinity of the Mendips we do get some great early morning baloons drifting by!

Another place to see them is up by lansdowne on the bath rd I normally park in a lay-by outside a farm the farmer is good as gold

Yes somr great views there. Going past Ensleigh and the racecourse is some especially good aspects over the valley towards Bristol along with the racecourse down to Weston can be good too depending on wind direction and clear skies. Balloon sightings over and around Bath are fairly coomon events through the year too.

Ashton Court is buzzing - surprise surprise

S

Where best to watch Bristol Balloon festival? Instead of starting my own thread, I'll ask in this one:

We've bought parking tickets for 2 days because Saturday's program is best, yet we want to see the Red Arrows display.

Official schedule for the 2 days are:
- Friday:
4pm Red Arrows
6pm Mass Assent
- Saturday:
12am Wingwalkers
1pm Typhoon
6pm Mass Assent
9pm Night glow and fireworks

A few questions:

1. Does the parking ticket allow come and go? eg. go for Sat noon then leave, come back at 8pm for the night glow.

2. Where best to watch the Mass assent and Night glow?
I figured the assent can be seen from the Cliften bridge, with 2 days planned, that will be one of my alternative location. The tea terrace on the other side of the bridge from the Observertory looks like a romantic spot for dinner?
For night glow, surely further away from the balloons can get a better view than right in the middle of it? But Cliften bridge is a bit too far?

3. Any other suggestions and recommendations for enjoying the event as a day out rather than for photography?

(going down with my girlfriend, staying at my parent's house in North Sommerset :D cheap long weekend/mini-holiday)

Where best to watch Bristol Balloon festival? Instead of starting my own thread, I'll ask in this one:

We've bought parking tickets for 2 days because Saturday's program is best, yet we want to see the Red Arrows display.

Official schedule for the 2 days are:
- Friday:
4pm Red Arrows
6pm Mass Assent
- Saturday:
12am Wingwalkers
1pm Typhoon
6pm Mass Assent
9pm Night glow and fireworks

A few questions:

1. Does the parking ticket allow come and go? eg. go for Sat noon then leave, come back at 8pm for the night glow.

2. Where best to watch the Mass assent and Night glow?
I figured the assent can be seen from the Cliften bridge, with 2 days planned, that will be one of my alternative location. The tea terrace on the other side of the bridge from the Observertory looks like a romantic spot for dinner?
For night glow, surely further away from the balloons can get a better view than right in the middle of it? But Cliften bridge is a bit too far?

3. Any other suggestions and recommendations for enjoying the event as a day out rather than for photography?

(going down with my girlfriend, staying at my parent's house in North Sommerset :D cheap long weekend/mini-holiday)

Finally underway at the site! Loads here and more coming!

Re you questions

*Entrance to the Car Parks closes at 7pm So if you come back at 8 pm you wwon't get your car in.
*If you go out maybe leave the car and take a shuttle bus out and back?
*The Clifton Suspension Bridge is closed to all vehicles AND PEOPLE.
*Other things - Have a BBQ, Visit the traders on site..... talk to people.... watch the entertaonment and try the food!
*Personally I think it would be a shame to miss the nightglow ascent from the arena. The colurs and atmosphere are fantastic - The lift off means the 'gas is burning' so meter carefully for best pics - there's always next year for distance shots!. . Bit easier to do both this year as there is a nightglow both tonight and Saturday. I shall be in the city on Saturday.

Peckish now so off to get some grub

Enjoy your trip but remember there will be loads of peeps at the main site (100,000 plus).

Finally underway at the site! Loads here and more coming!

Re you questions

*Entrance to the Car Parks closes at 7pm So if you come back at 8 pm you wwon't get your car in.
*If you go out maybe leave the car and take a shuttle bus out and back?
*The Clifton Suspension Bridge is closed to all vehicles AND PEOPLE.
*Other things - Have a BBQ, Visit the traders on site..... talk to people.... watch the entertaonment and try the food!
*Personally I think it would be a shame to miss the nightglow ascent from the arena. The colurs and atmosphere are fantastic - The lift off means the 'gas is burning' so meter carefully for best pics - there's always next year for distance shots!. . Bit easier to do both this year as there is a nightglow both tonight and Saturday. I shall be in the city on Saturday.

Peckish now so off to get some grub

Enjoy your trip but remember there will be loads of peeps at the main site (100,000 plus).

Thanks for your time to answer my questions.

I forgot they closes at 7, the shuttle bus is a better idea, thanks.

Your advice taken on board, going to be watching Nightglow from the arena this year. Can't see tonight's, only heading there tomorrow :(

For mass lift-off, apart from the arena, I guess the second best place will be around the Clifton bridge?

Thanks for your time to answer my questions.

I forgot they closes at 7, the shuttle bus is a better idea, thanks.

Your advice taken on board, going to be watching Nightglow from the arena this year. Can't see tonight's, only heading there tomorrow :(

For mass lift-off, apart from the arena, I guess the second best place will be around the Clifton bridge?

It depends on wind direction but generally the city vista frames nicely from the Observatory with the suspension bridge sitting nicely within the skyscape. Its just a case of getting up there with a good clear view and fingers crossed you get a good sky. I have not been up there in a while due to health issuesbut it was alssys busy when I did.

Enjoy your trip

S

Lift-off was delayed this evening until around 7pm, however this meant that as the balloons were passing over the Clifton Suspension Bridge the replica of The Matthew was passing underneath ... made for a very different, if not unique, photo.

For those that are not sure of what a mass ascent might look like, this link is a 20 balloon flight from Tuesday ahead of the start of the festival.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-23588518

Yesterday was my "at festival" day - tomorrow I shall be in the city for the evening mass ascent.

Steve

Hopefully getting up to the downs today/nite sometime

Hopefully the weather will hold for this evening's launch.

I am away this afternoon/evening so batteries on charge for tomorrow.

we're going to this tomorrow *dances* - we'll be camping at the showground yay

I will also be at Avonmouth and Bridewell police office for the next 3 Wednesdays working lol

If accent is at 6 what time roughly would they be arriving at Clifton ?

Taff

Not sure

Does depend on wind speeds and height attained. Last night mass ascent took the balloons towards Keynsham so not sure how close to the Clifton Downs they got.

Steve

Only 3 up at the moment, I've missed the announcement, when are they taking off today?

They were timetabled for 6pm

They were late away last night

Not looking likely according to latest local news, 5 mins ago they weren't taking off - some balloons were damaged by the wind whilst tethered to the ground earlier today.
Tomorrow morning looking good though.

Back