BRISTOL INTERNATIONAL BALLOON FIESTA

according bbc weather, sat and sun the wind should blow toward west. Finger crossed.

Most off around 45 min ago. Fantastic atmosphere :)

Will you be able to do tomorrow evening - the second NightGlow is set for 9:15pm?

Steve

I need to ask something...is it possible to get close to the balloons to take pictures or are there fences all around?

The main ring is fenced off - you need a media pass to enter.
Still possible to 'get' close with a lens though.

Inflating by photogramps, on Flickr

which focal length have you used? Furthermore do you know if at 6am would be a better time to take photos (less people)?

That was with a 24-120 so nothing really long - 6am will be when they aim to take off so there will be a few people there.

Around 10-15 knots I believe, depending on size.

Will you be able to do tomorrow evening - the second NightGlow is set for 9:15pm?

Steve

Yep, get in for the Wingwalkers and Typhoon at noon. Go to Bristol for the afternoon and come back for the night glow.

Which hill will the fireworks come from? It'd be great to get lit balloon and fireworks in the same shot.

Last edited:
Hi all,

never been to the festival before and looking for some advice. I have been advised that Brandon Hill is a good location to view the mass ascents. Given the forecast wind direction for this evening (east, moving to north east), is this location any good, or should i just head straight for ashton gate?

EDIT IGNORE!!

Just seen last entry to parking is at 7, so straight to ashton court

Last edited by a moderator:
Supposed to be 6pm but was 7pm on Thursday - what's the wind like?

does anyone know if the wind might be a factor for tomorrows early launch?
8mph at 8am by which time the light showers should have passed....

I was planning on heading to Clifton tomorrow morning for 6am launch. Looking at the weather the forecast is showing Westerly winds, blowing the balloons the wrong way.

Night glow was superb. Anyone thinking of going next year, GO!

Bring a tripod, get there early for front row and enjoy the music with someone special or friends.

Just got home, kept clicking, was really enjoying the moment rather than trying to do photography. It's definitely the highlight of the event.

Last edited:
Night glow was superb. Anyone thinking of going next year, GO!

Bring a tripod, get there early for front row and enjoy the music with someone special or friends.

Just got home, kept clicking, was really enjoying the moment rather than trying to do photography. It's definitely the highlight of the event.

What is also great is that there are now 2 timetabled Night Glows.

It is a great event overall and after a few years of not going due to ill health it was good to be back.

For those wondering whether to go next year - its worth it!

Steve

Tonight is the last chance for the ascent. Still need to decide if to see it from the field or from the observatory again.

BTW so far I didn't take any PIC worth the travel, but a lot of rain instead :)

Last edited:
Blue sky and sunshine but it looks very windy :(

Back