British Airways cancels all flights from Gatwick and Heathrow due to IT failure

system that size so much to go wrong.
one story says power to the DC went bang but that cold mean the actuall circuit carrying main and backup power went bang.
you can have all the backup gennies in the world if all the wires are melted.

If s*** can happen, it will!

Conspiracy Theories time - serious bomb threat, unspecified target, so major shutdown of flights and blame it on an IT issue?

BBC: Why did 'power surge' hit BA computers?

"What has BA said?
In a slightly more detailed statement on Wednesday, the airline said a loss of power to a UK data centre was "compounded" by a power surge that took out its IT systems.
The firm claimed that this did not constitute an IT failure, but rather "it was an electrical power supply which was interrupted".
An investigation is being carried out and it has been reported that BA's board is set to demand an external inquiry into what happened."

British Airways IT outage caused by contractor who 'switched off power', reports
"A contractor doing maintenance work at a British Airways data centre inadvertently switched off the power supply, knocking out the airline's computer systems and leaving 75,000 people stranded last weekend, according to reports."

"I only wanted to plug me kettle in, to make me cuppa. But all the sockets were taken" quipped Reggie. "I don't know why they're making such a bloomin' fuss"
(I added that last bit)

Yeah, right, no A & B supplies, no dual feeds in a datacentre or ATS switches. Really?
They are saying the power went out for 15 mins and then was switched on in an uncontrolled fashion causing a surge and damage to servers... hum.
Sounds like they want one person to take the fall for a lack of investment/outsourcing to india.

"BA's board is set to demand an external inquiry into what happened."
Hopefully this external enquiry goes ahead. And we find out whodunnit.

Although I've been retired for six years now after a long career in electrically based work, Falmouth Docks apprenticeship, 9 years at sea as an Electrical Officer and over 30 years as an Elect/Mech surveyor for insurance companies, I'm pleased to see that the old tradition that when things go wrong the Lecky gets the blame is still alive and well. :D

Back