Broken / part missing red ring on Canon L lens!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello All,

Noticed the red ring on my 24-105 lens was broken with a bit missing (How ??).

I cannot find the missing bit so now have 2/3 of a (loose) red ring. Could glue it in?

Does anybody know if these red rings can be purchased? OR is it only replaceable in a Canon service?

Anybody know please?

Thanks, Mel

If you ever need spares, I was given a contact who supplies official spares from Canon in the UK. They are called H Lehmann www.hlehmann.co.uk

They have a minimum order so be careful how you order. So for example I needed a replacement screw for my Tilt Shift lens and it cost me £12! I suspect if I had asked I could have gotten got a lot of them for the same price.

It does nothing but look pretty... do what Nikon users do to pretend they have real lenses, Use a red elastic band......

Last edited:
To lose that red 'L glass' ring must be very concerning; firstly, nobody will mistake you for a press photographer any more, and secondly, all your photos will now look completely rubbish! I think you'd better replace your lens's 'ring of confidence' as soon as possible. ;) :canon::D

Teasing aside, I'd probably be inclined to replace it just to stop fluff, grit and grime accumulating in the recess it's left behind.

Last edited:
Nah mine broke as well. It's not needed I just left it off.

+1. It has no function,e xcept to show it is an L lens. The groove does not accumulate crap so it has not been an issue for me.

It has no functional value, but your lens has lost some value if you were to trade it in. Someone on Ebay sells silicone red rings - basically a fancy rubber band.

Canon part number may be YA2-1683-000

Last edited:
It has no functional value
Tell that to the Canon marketing department. The red ring is one of their great successes.
That non functional red bit of plastic allows Canon to increase the price of some pretty average lens, also that red plastic ring helps to increase the number of L lens Canon sell..

Mine fell off at a wedding never to be seen again , surprised to say now that it's not an L lens it still seems to be as sharp as before :)

How about buying one of those plastic 24-105mm coffee cups?

I have one and the ring feels as though it will prise off

How about buying one of those plastic 24-105mm coffee cups?

I have one and the ring feels as though it will prise off

And the quality will be many times better... never heard of one breaking.

I had 1 break a few years back glued it back on but some glue seeped under the ring and caused a problem in focus or zooming I can't remember which so be careful.

It's a tiny, thin red ring of plastic, which doesn't affect the quality of the images. My lens is about 10 years old, used in all weathers, so I don't know if it's just got brittle through use/age.

As far as I'm aware the red ring only comes as part of the focus barrel assembly from Canon but as said, you can get silicone ones which probably wouldn't look anything like the originals but at least it would be a red ring.
To send it off to Canon to have the barrel assembly replaced would be a waste of money in my opinion.

Back