Beginner Bronica EC focusing problems

Name
Deborah
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just bought a Bronica EC, in fabulous condition but I am struggling with focusing, I am new to medium format camera's but if I put my 75mm lens on infinity everything from 10 feet to infinity is in focus, everything under 10 foot I am unable to focus on. The focusing is accurate at 2-4 feet distance it seems that the middle distances are not accurate. Please help regards Debbie

Welcome to T.P. Debbie and welcome to medium format.
The focusing issue seems odd, I assume the lens focussing ring is smooth in operation? When you say it's not in focus is that on the view screen, are the photos in focus? Basically you are just moving the lens further from/closer to the film plane and the focussing screen so if it focusses at minimum and infinity then it could be an issue with the focussing screen or a misalignment of one of the lens elements

p.s. it might be worth asking @TheBigYin to move this to the Film and Conventional section, you might get more relevant responses in there (even if it does smell a bit fusty :LOL: )

Welcome to Film and Conventional, Debbie. The Bronica EC is a beautiful camera - I have come very close to purchasing the S2A (it's younger brother) many times.

Simple things to begin with:
1. Ensure the focusing screen is correctly seated - the EC has interchangeable focusing screens - check page 30 of the manual here: https://www.butkus.org/chinon/bronica/bronica_ec/bronica_ec.htm
2. Ensure the lens is properly attached - I assume it mounted with no significant resistance?
3. I see from your profile you have a few other lenses for the Bronica - are all of these focusing okay with the same camera body?

I'm not sure I quite understand what you're describing.

Do you mean that you can accurately focus on infinity and accurately focus on 4ft but you can't accurately focus on middle distances?

The phrase "put my 75mm lens on infinity" makes me wonder if this is being done by scale focusing rather than focusing using the ground glass. If it is the latter, are you using a waist level finder but without a magnifier? Any possibility that it's an eyesight adjustment problem, in that infinity is sharp because you use the scale, and near distances are sharp because limited depth of field makes focus obvious?

Back