Bronica Medium Format Owners Thread

Filmdev have posted my images for me to download, have to say that I am impressed with their service, scanned images seem very clean and much improved on my local D&P outlet. I have posted below a couple of shots from the scanned images, one from Bedruthan Steps and the other from Trevaunance Cove.

I have run the images through Lightroom, levelled the horizon and some basic editing. Both shot using the 50mm. Comments and feedback very welcome.

St Agnes.jpgBedruthan Steps Mono.jpg

Sorry, might not be the 'right' place to ask but it seems like a pretty good audience, but I'm really interested in buying a GS-1 - please feel free to drop me a message if anyone is selling one :)

Sorry, might not be the 'right' place to ask but it seems like a pretty good audience, but I'm really interested in buying a GS-1 - please feel free to drop me a message if anyone is selling one :)
To keep on the better side of the mods you need to place à wanted advert in The classifieds.
There’s a specific wanted section though generally if you are looking for film kit then best to place it in the film selling section with a WTB prefix ( Wanted To Buy)
Just to add that the film section of the classifieds has about the same audience as the threads in the f&c section of the forum as I think it’s safe to say that most of us filmies are always on the lookout for new toys and ways to satisfy our GAS :LOL:

Last edited:
A couple more from the first proper out with the SQAi, the first is a warm looking landscape at Helman Tor just outside Bodmin, but trust me it wasn't warm, it was bitter as the wind dropped the temperature to single figures and on that exposed Tor it was rather chilly. This was on Ektar 100 using the 150mm PS lens that had arrived that morning.

Helman Tor.jpg

The second shot is from the Lake District and is of a rather well known and well photographed scene, across Derwentwater to Cat Bells and Maiden Moor, what appealed was the glorious reflection in the still waters of the lake. Taken on Ilford HP5+, I cannot remember if I used the 80mm or 50mm but a ND grad was used to hold some detail in the sky.

Derwentwater Reflection.jpg

A couple more from the first proper out with the SQAi, the first is a warm looking landscape at Helman Tor just outside Bodmin, but trust me it wasn't warm, it was bitter as the wind dropped the temperature to single figures and on that exposed Tor it was rather chilly. This was on Ektar 100 using the 150mm PS lens that had arrived that morning.

View attachment 352419

The second shot is from the Lake District and is of a rather well known and well photographed scene, across Derwentwater to Cat Bells and Maiden Moor, what appealed was the glorious reflection in the still waters of the lake. Taken on Ilford HP5+, I cannot remember if I used the 80mm or 50mm but a ND grad was used to hold some detail in the sky.

View attachment 352420

The colours in the first shot a very pleasing….tbh I thought portra and it’s pastel colours until I read your write up.

Both images are rather nice though being biased for monochrome, the Lake District scene takes the cherry for me (y)

The colours in the first shot a very pleasing….tbh I thought portra and it’s pastel colours until I read your write up.

Both images are rather nice though being biased for monochrome, the Lake District scene takes the cherry for me (y)

Thanks for the feedback much appreciated. You made me doubt what I had posted about the Portra/ Ektar colour shot so I double checked as I did have a roll of Portra but the negatives are definitely stamped Ektar and the Portra is still in my bag waiting to be used.

Like @Asha I thought it was Portra, both nice shots but for me the large rock bottom right of the colour one is just a tad distracting. I think for me the second shot gets the prize though I do like a square B&W landscape.

I agree the rock is a bit of a distraction, in my defence I had dragged the wife along, it was bitterly cold and she was moaning constantly about the cold and wanting to go home, I however was keen to grab a shot with the new lens so it was a bit rushed. I will try harder next time.

I agree the rock is a bit of a distraction, in my defence I had dragged the wife along, it was bitterly cold and she was moaning constantly about the cold and wanting to go home, I however was keen to grab a shot with the new lens so it was a bit rushed. I will try harder next time.
Being single , divorced, separated has its drawbacks , but then again!! :LOL:

Question to all the Bronica people - is it normal that the shutter count on the film backs of my ETRSi resets itself back to 0 when changing film backs mid-roll? I'm using it with a speed grip if it makes any difference... Just wondering if I'm somehow doing something wrong, or if this is normal behaviour.

Question to all the Bronica people - is it normal that the shutter count on the film backs of my ETRSi resets itself back to 0 when changing film backs mid-roll? I'm using it with a speed grip if it makes any difference... Just wondering if I'm somehow doing something wrong, or if this is normal behaviour.
I don't have an ETRS but I do have 3 SQ-Ais plus a 6x45 back for them and none of my backs zero just because I have taken them off or swapped them to a different body. I'd say it isn't normal.

No, it's not normal. I have one and it doesn't do it on mine - after all, the idea of swappable backs is so you can change films when halfway through a roll.

I don't use the speed grip very often as I prefer using the WLF, but I can't see how that could cause it to happen.

Maybe you have a faulty back?

for some reason, an impulse buy.. I bought my first film camera a couple months ago.. An ETRSI +75mm PE lens

Literally, no idea what I'm doing but some how managed to install some films, fumble some buttons, wind the winding thing and send some films off for development.. and then some photos appeared!

I've not managed to find the time to use it since, I need to find a project!

here are some of my test shots - from Weston-Super-Mare on Kodak Gold and Ilford delta

000080640001.jpg

000080640002.jpg
000080650014.jpg

No, it's not normal. I have one and it doesn't do it on mine - after all, the idea of swappable backs is so you can change films when halfway through a roll.

I don't use the speed grip very often as I prefer using the WLF, but I can't see how that could cause it to happen.

Maybe you have a faulty back?
I don't have an ETRS but I do have 3 SQ-Ais plus a 6x45 back for them and none of my backs zero just because I have taken them off or swapped them to a different body. I'd say it isn't normal.

Forgot to mention, I have a speedgrip on one of my SQ-Ais and it doesn't do it.

Reactions: Sky
for some reason, an impulse buy.. I bought my first film camera a couple months ago.. An ETRSI +75mm PE lens

Literally, no idea what I'm doing but some how managed to install some films, fumble some buttons, wind the winding thing and send some films off for development.. and then some photos appeared!

I've not managed to find the time to use it since, I need to find a project!

here are some of my test shots - from Weston-Super-Mare on Kodak Gold and Ilford delta

View attachment 362318

View attachment 362319
View attachment 362320

I like those Ben. The out-of-focus figures through the cracked glass are a nice catch.

Ffordes have just posted about a delivery of eyepiece correction lenses on twitter, if anyone is looking for one.

View: https://BANNED/Ffordesphoto/status/1618932746843480065?t=kg41y1kXlJH3RRdCfOqBgw&s=19

Last edited:
I used SQA professionally in the early 1990s, Had a hankering for a Bronica again about a decade ago, and found a GS1 at a reasonable price. I've added 50 and 250mm lenses to it.
I would use it every time if it weren't for the bulk and weight! With the speed grip and prism on, it handles like an overgrown 35mm SLR. And produces quality images with ease.2022_120_5004-Edit.jpg

I used SQA professionally in the early 1990s, Had a hankering for a Bronica again about a decade ago, and found a GS1 at a reasonable price. I've added 50 and 250mm lenses to it.
I would use it every time if it weren't for the bulk and weight! With the speed grip and prism on, it handles like an overgrown 35mm SLR. And produces quality images with ease.View attachment 400031

Great Photo - looks 3D and really pops! (y)

Great Photo - looks 3D and really pops! (y)
Jammy, TY,

Having been a Pentax 35mm user since I was 8, I always hankered for a Pentax 6x7. But I couldn't find one I could justify the asking price of. Then this GS1 popped up. At that point I dind't even know Bronica had ever made a 6x7. I got on well with the SQA all those years ago, so took a gamble. And it paid off.

As you say, the images have real depth to them. Wide open, the lenses have nice, shallow DoF but hold sharpness well. It is bulky and heavy (not quite in Mamiya RB/RZ territory but very nearly), with the grip and prism on it handles surpringly well so can be used on the hoof, in situations where you wouldn't think a medium format SLR was really useable. For example. Kirstyn+Scarlett after delivery003.jpg

Not selling mine, but you won't be dissapointed when you find one!

Is the counter on the film back on the ETRSi? I can't remember, it's been 30 years since I used one.
With my GS1, the counter is integral to the back, and only resets when you reload it.

Very nice photographs. I particularly like No 3. I am also very fond of my 40mm Zenzanon which I think is amazing for such a wideangle lens.

Hello, it's been a while. I don't think i've posted a comment here in 3 or 4 years. I fell out of the photography loop in 2020 after mental health issues. I'm desperately trying to get my mojo back. I sold all my digital gear but kept several film cameras.
But now I've just bought my 2nd Bronica ETRSi (my first one was an accidental ebay purchase....short story, but a boring one) to help reignite my passion. I've only taken 3 shots with it so far, so nothing to post as yet. But I hope to get back to shooting regularly again.

Hello, it's been a while. I don't think i've posted a comment here in 3 or 4 years. I fell out of the photography loop in 2020 after mental health issues. I'm desperately trying to get my mojo back. I sold all my digital gear but kept several film cameras.
But now I've just bought my 2nd Bronica ETRSi (my first one was an accidental ebay purchase....short story, but a boring one) to help reignite my passion. I've only taken 3 shots with it so far, so nothing to post as yet. But I hope to get back to shooting regularly again.

Great news that you are getting back into photography Dave, really looking forward to seeing some images.

I know, replying to an old post, but in case a new reader wonders...
Absolutely NOT normal behavior for the exposure counter of the back to reset when removed from the body. And there is no correlation (no behavior change) dependent on presence/absence of Speed Grip. The magazine should reset only when the magazine is opened, such as when changing film in the magazine.

Last edited:
Back