Bronica Medium Format Owners Thread

Guys, you are all correct. I have contacted the seller and he has agreed to take it back as he misidentified it - it is from a different model, probably an S2. A shame really, as it is beautifully clean, no optical problems at all.

I will keep an eye out for a good one now I know the difference - must have the little lugs on each side of the housing.

As Joxby said, you really do need a seller who knows the differences in these Bronnys.

George

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky
Right, update, I change my mind...lol
I think now Nick, as usual is wrong... :LOL:
The S2 does not use the hook mechanism to attach finders, its the EC only, so I'm back to my original guess that its an S2 finder not EC and not SQ.
:LOL: I try my best :LOL:

Hi
Iv just become the owner of a bronica etrs
Can some one please advise me on a 120 film that’s reasonable priced so I can try this beast out
Please be gentle I’m new to film and a little afraid of medium format ……

Hi
Iv just become the owner of a bronica etrs
Can some one please advise me on a 120 film that’s reasonable priced so I can try this beast out
Please be gentle I’m new to film and a little afraid of medium format ……
For black & white I'd suggest Ilford HP5+. It's a very good film and reasonably priced. It's also very forgiving if you get the exposure wrong.

For colour, Lomography Colour Negative is probably the cheapest option (it's still a nice film though, with nice saturated colours). Maybe the 400asa version to give you better options if the light is dimmer at this time of year. The choice of colour films is quite limited for 120 format though with many of them being quite expensive.

For black & white I'd suggest Ilford HP5+. It's a very good film and reasonably priced. It's also very forgiving if you get the exposure wrong.

For colour, Lomography Colour Negative is probably the cheapest option (it's still a nice film though, with nice saturated colours). Maybe the 400asa version to give you better options if the light is dimmer at this time of year. The choice of colour films is quite limited for 120 format though with many of them being quite expensive.
My approach with new equipment is to use a slide film, expensive I know but easy to see any issues from the slide rather than on a Neg or a scan (which could be the issue you see).

My approach with new equipment is to use a slide film
The Bronica isn't new, though ...

I'd run a mono film through first, to get acquainted with the loading procedure & how the interlocks work, and check there are no winding issues.

The Bronica isn't new, though ...

I'd run a mono film through first, to get acquainted with the loading procedure & how the interlocks work, and check there are no winding issues.
It's new to the OP. I generally use an old roll of film for testing functions etc before using a good film to try out the camera, I keep a couple that are out of date and just rewind them as I need to. Neither approach is wrong just different but I do find I can read slide films easier than I can read Negs for exposure etc which is why I test my new (to me) kit with them. I am confident of my metering so there is only poor developing or faulty kit that can be the issue. For example I just had some slides developed form a recent shoot (see post 644), when I got the scanned files back there was a line straight through every frame in the same place, it was lighter than the correct exposure so I automatically suspected a light leak in the back. Today my actual film came back and when I scrutinised them there were no l;ines on the slides so it must be a scanning error. I've emailed the lab to let them know.

Ilford XP2 is a black and white film that is cheaper than colour, but is developed in colour chemistry, so may possibly work out cheaper than traditional b&w film developed in b&w chemistry?

Last edited:
Fomapan is probably the cheapest option and it's a rather nice black and white film as well.

Iv ordered formaplan 100 so I can at least test camera function and focusing . I feel like iv entered a rabbit hole now , I keep looking at enlargers and chemicals

Well , my bronni now has a new battery and a film loaded ( not positive I didn’t expose half of it putting it in though ) iv done a couple of test shots to check focus ( not sure I haven’t over exposed them due to forgetting to set the iso ) , suppose my next thoughts should go to a lab , any recommendations?

Well , my bronni now has a new battery and a film loaded ( not positive I didn’t expose half of it putting it in though ) iv done a couple of test shots to check focus ( not sure I haven’t over exposed them due to forgetting to set the iso ) , suppose my next thoughts should go to a lab , any recommendations?
Where are you based?

just outside Mansfield nottinghamshire, but I work all over the midlands and up into Yorkshire

Ah, UK. (y) Try Spectrum Photolabs in Plymouth I use them and am happy with their service. Their website isn't the easiest but not unmanageable by any means.

When you say you forgot to set the ISO do you have a metered prism? or are you using a handheld meter?
Yes it appears I have a metered eye level prism, I’m very pleased the camera works because I bought it untested from a friend for £250. I suppose I really should stop counting my chickens …….

Yes it appears I have a metered eye level prism, I’m very pleased the camera works because I bought it untested from a friend for £250. I suppose I really should stop counting my chickens …….
If you are used to digital matrix metering, keep in mind that the metered prism you have will be the old fashioned center weighted not quite as forgiving as the modern matrix meters.

If you are used to digital matrix metering, keep in mind that the metered prism you have will be the old fashioned center weighted not quite as forgiving as the modern matrix meters.
Yes I will have to bare that in mind , up to yet though I’m just attempting to make one exposure that has something in focus and not too far over/under exposed , after that I suppose the long journey begins

Some Lovely photo's here. I'd have liked to join in but, being a "Bottom Feeder" in finances means that I just Sold my outfit, at a Low Price, to pay some bills.
If things get better in future times, I will get another one.

Some Lovely photo's here. I'd have liked to join in but, being a "Bottom Feeder" in finances means that I just Sold my outfit, at a Low Price, to pay some bills.
If things get better in future times, I will get another one.
Good luck Stephen, I hope your situation improves quickly and we see som of your shots on here soon.

This is a great thread and has been an enthralling read, I had to stop myself commenting on posts from years gone by on a few occasions.

After much thought and deliberation I recently picked up a SQAi kit comprising of body, WLF, AE Prism, Speed grip, 2 x 120 backs, 80mm and 50mm lenses a couple of weeks back, the first rolls of film are away being developed, hopefully on return and with luck they will show that everything is working as it should and the kit is ready for some action.

If things work out as I hope then I am looking forward to rekindling a MF relationship that I gave up 35 years ago when I sold my ETRSi kit for a 35mm camera that has long since vanished.

What made me suddenly go and splash some cash on some MF gear, well after moving house I started ‘cleansing‘ some of my old slides and negatives, in amongst them were some 6x6 and 6x4.5 slides, the 6x6 were from a SQAM that I borrowed the others from my ETRSi, some of the negs and slides were badly damaged (poor storage) but a few survived and the images were so clear it made me wonder why I was intending upgrading my Digital gear when I could have more fun going back in time.

I intend to pick up a 3rd back and a 150 or 180 lens in due course, the films will be lab developed and digitised via a v600 scanner. Give me a few weeks to get the old grey matter confident with the idiosyncrasy’s of the camera and I’ll start posting some images, well hopefully.

This is a great thread and has been an enthralling read, I had to stop myself commenting on posts from years gone by on a few occasions.

After much thought and deliberation I recently picked up a SQAi kit comprising of body, WLF, AE Prism, Speed grip, 2 x 120 backs, 80mm and 50mm lenses a couple of weeks back, the first rolls of film are away being developed, hopefully on return and with luck they will show that everything is working as it should and the kit is ready for some action.

If things work out as I hope then I am looking forward to rekindling a MF relationship that I gave up 35 years ago when I sold my ETRSi kit for a 35mm camera that has long since vanished.

What made me suddenly go and splash some cash on some MF gear, well after moving house I started ‘cleansing‘ some of my old slides and negatives, in amongst them were some 6x6 and 6x4.5 slides, the 6x6 were from a SQAM that I borrowed the others from my ETRSi, some of the negs and slides were badly damaged (poor storage) but a few survived and the images were so clear it made me wonder why I was intending upgrading my Digital gear when I could have more fun going back in time.

I intend to pick up a 3rd back and a 150 or 180 lens in due course, the films will be lab developed and digitised via a v600 scanner. Give me a few weeks to get the old grey matter confident with the idiosyncrasy’s of the camera and I’ll start posting some images, well hopefully.
Looking forward to seeing your photos Martin. I think adding a 150 will give you a great all round kit. (y)

Some recent Bronica pics. I've posted some of these in Show us yer fim shots thread already, but they might as well go in here too.

All Bronica ETRSi. Mostly 75mm f/28, but maybe some 50mm f/2.8 as well.

Fat Cat by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Near Lady's Bridge by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Lady's Bridge by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Illustrated postbox by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Turmoil by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Woodland beast by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Analog twist by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Above the gorge by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Last edited:
Constantine.jpg

First results back from the SQAi, all seems good at least on this back, the B&W film has still to make its way back to me due to technical issues with the machine at the developers. This was the SQAi with Portra 160 loaded, 50mm lens on the front, a WLF and all tripod mounted at Dinas Head part of the Trevose Headland on Cornwall's north coast.

This image is a 12mb jpeg scanned by the developers and run through Lightroom for a couple of minor tweaks but otherwise untouched, I have shrunk the size for use online.

I am delighted with the result, the look is very much old school film but I just love it, I think that I am going to enjoy getting out and about with the Bronica, need to pick up that 150mm and maybe another back.

Any comments or feedback on the shot, the Bronica, lens or anything else people feel relevant are very welcome. Thanks for looking.

View attachment 346583

First results back from the SQAi, all seems good at least on this back, the B&W film has still to make its way back to me due to technical issues with the machine at the developers. This was the SQAi with Portra 160 loaded, 50mm lens on the front, a WLF and all tripod mounted at Dinas Head part of the Trevose Headland on Cornwall's north coast.

This image is a 12mb jpeg scanned by the developers and run through Lightroom for a couple of minor tweaks but otherwise untouched, I have shrunk the size for use online.

I am delighted with the result, the look is very much old school film but I just love it, I think that I am going to enjoy getting out and about with the Bronica, need to pick up that 150mm and maybe another back.

Any comments or feedback on the shot, the Bronica, lens or anything else people feel relevant are very welcome. Thanks for looking.
That's a very nice first shot Martin, Portra is a great film very versatile and has good tonal range. There's something special, for me anyway, in using an old 120 film camera that nothing I've found in digital can match.

Finally after much waiting (machine issues!!) the Black and White film came back from the lab, well the 120 film did the 35mm came back undeveloped as the machine had broken again.

On a positive note there doesn't appear to be any light leaks in the film back which is great and the camera seems to work absolutely fine which was the main purpose of the first few rolls of film. If I have one complaint about the lab its their inability to keep fingerprints away from the negatives and when they completed the scans they failed to ensure that the negs were clean, maybe I'm being too picky but they get paid for this so they should have good film handling processes in place.

The image below is from that film, there are lots of spots on the image most of which is sea spray on the filter but there are a good number of hairs, specks of dust etc., dotted around the image and on other images.

It is very apparent that there is an incredible amount of detail in these negs, there certainly doesn't appear to be any issue with the quality of these Bronica lenses, so now the onus is on me to get my act together and seek out some suitable locations whereby I can get the best from the Bronica, oh and find a new lab to develop the films.

Thanks for looking and if you want to offer feedback it will be greatly received.

Black and White Dinas Head Storm Franklin.jpg

Nice shot. As regards developing and scanning, if you want a job doing well, do it yourself.
I develop and scan all my Bronnie (and other cameras) pictures so any faults are entirely mine.

With water running through light fittings, down walls and onto carpets the last few weeks have been hell, I must offer my thanks to the builders who appear to have misplaced the 'thingamajig' that connected the 'whatsit' to the 'whojamaflip' and created the issue that was waiting to happen. As a result of chasing people to get the repair work done and that house made safe photography has taken a back seat.

This picture is from a week or so back before the lovely sunshine we have at the moment and forms part of the tests I carried out to check that the Bronica kit was working fine. The location is a blustery and moody Wheal Coates looking down the coast to Godrevy and St Ives way off in the gloom. I have to say that I am loving this camera, forcing me to engage my brain and slowing me down as you just cannot rush these cameras. I have a few films to send off and the gear will be heading north to the Lake District to accompany me on a well needed break.

Oh and I have added the 150mm PS lens to the kit, got a goodish deal from LCE who split a kit to allow me to have the lens, will see how this performs up in Cumbria.

Moody Wheal Coates.jpg

Feedback, comments and guidance are very welcome as I get to grips with this new format. Thanks for looking.

With water running through light fittings, down walls and onto carpets the last few weeks have been hell, I must offer my thanks to the builders who appear to have misplaced the 'thingamajig' that connected the 'whatsit' to the 'whojamaflip' and created the issue that was waiting to happen. As a result of chasing people to get the repair work done and that house made safe photography has taken a back seat.

This picture is from a week or so back before the lovely sunshine we have at the moment and forms part of the tests I carried out to check that the Bronica kit was working fine. The location is a blustery and moody Wheal Coates looking down the coast to Godrevy and St Ives way off in the gloom. I have to say that I am loving this camera, forcing me to engage my brain and slowing me down as you just cannot rush these cameras. I have a few films to send off and the gear will be heading north to the Lake District to accompany me on a well needed break.

Oh and I have added the 150mm PS lens to the kit, got a goodish deal from LCE who split a kit to allow me to have the lens, will see how this performs up in Cumbria.

View attachment 348257

Feedback, comments and guidance are very welcome as I get to grips with this new format. Thanks for looking.

That's a lovely shot Martin and I'll look forward to more. I'll also be interested to see the results from the 150mm as I've been toying with the idea of adding one to my ETRSi setup to go with the 75mm and 50mm that I have.

Back