Bronica Medium Format Owners Thread

Excellent. The jumping horse (No. 3) looks 3D!

Steve.

Thanks, Steve! Some sun poked through the clouds just then, which I think helped the subject stand out a bit. In the right circumstances, the 180mm lens can really deliver too.

Last edited:
No worries, I'm kinda wishing I went for the SQ now. 6x6 is rather moreish! Did you use a meter at all? Or just the good old sunny 16? I have just been using Sunny 16 and also my iPhone meter but have had mixed results. Just getting used to it I guess although I do have a Sekonic on route now :)

I always use one of my Sekonic meters (L308 and L508) to get an initial reading, no sense in wasting film on questionable exposures. That said, Sunny 16 should be fine as long as you err on the side of overexposure, although I would adjust this to sunny 11 or even 8 in the UK and I would add +3 stops for any backlit subjects.

I always use one of my Sekonic meters (L308 and L508) to get an initial reading, no sense in wasting film on questionable exposures. That said, Sunny 16 should be fine as long as you err on the side of overexposure, although I would adjust this to sunny 11 or even 8 in the UK and I would add +3 stops for any backlit subjects.

Yeah I read about adjusting to Sunny 11 just the other day actually. I will feel more confident once my meter arrives rather than taking a 50/50 guess in some scenarious, as you say - no sense in wasting film.

Any Bronica users run a prism viewfinder? I just got one on eBay non metered for a good price :) I was never a fan of the look of them when I saw them first hand however with the 645 size on the ETRSI, portrait would be something quite nice to have and something I would use quite often.

ive got the metered version and very handy it is too. You really need it for portrait mode. Although you could manage something with the waist level finder, it would just involve looking into it at 90 degrees to the model with it tipped on its side :)

Any Bronica users run a prism viewfinder? I just got one on eBay non metered for a good price :) I was never a fan of the look of them when I saw them first hand however with the 645 size on the ETRSI, portrait would be something quite nice to have and something I would use quite often.

I have a prism viewfinder for my SQ cameras. I basically never use it, although it's probably a necessity if you're using a non-square format Bronica.

ive got the metered version and very handy it is too. You really need it for portrait mode. Although you could manage something with the waist level finder, it would just involve looking into it at 90 degrees to the model with it tipped on its side :)

Yeah I did think that but it's not the most comfortable of shooting positions haha

I have a prism viewfinder for my SQ cameras. I basically never use it, although it's probably a necessity if you're using a non-square format Bronica.

Yeah I wouldn't worry at all if it was 6x6. Will see how it goes. It was just over £20 so had to be worth trying out

I also picked up the hand grip although ive never used it. It does make it easier to hold / shoot / wind on but its an extra bit hanging about. Its nice to have for completeness sake though when it comes to sell the gear on.

I also picked up the hand grip although ive never used it. It does make it easier to hold / shoot / wind on but its an extra bit hanging about. Its nice to have for completeness sake though when it comes to sell the gear on.

I actually find the handgrip pretty serviceable even with the SQ series, so I would imagine it's even handier with the ETR. Not that I use flash that often, but the handgrip also makes it so that you can do fill flash or bounce flash very easily, which really plays to the strengths of the Bronica ETR/SQ/GS-1 cameras given that they sync at all shutter speeds.

For those folks interested in getting into the SQ series, London Camera Exchange have an SQ for sale for £299 with six-month warranty that includes two lenses, two backs, the WLF, and S18 extension tube for close up work:

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Bronica-SQ-+-150mm-F3.5-+-85mm-F2.8-PS-+-S18-+-2-Backs_98654.html

The camera looks to be in pretty good shape. The only thing to keep in mind with the SQ, unlike most of the other SQ models, is that it doesn't have mirror lock up and doesn't work with the metered finders.

Welcome to the Bronica club.......that looks like the AE-II prism, well make sure it's switched off as it will drain the battery...now how did I know that.;)

Welcome to the Bronica club.......that looks like the AE-II prism, well make sure it's switched off as it will drain the battery...now how did I know that.;)

Checking now..

Q for the Bronnie owners: does the ETRS )etc) manage 15 or 16 exposures on a roll? The Mamiya 645 I borrowed only managed 15...

Q for the Bronnie owners: does the ETRS )etc) manage 15 or 16 exposures on a roll? The Mamiya 645 I borrowed only managed 15...

I believe that it's 15 exposures for ETR 120 backs, as well as 15 exposures for the 645 backs designed for the GS-1 and SQ series cameras.

To my knowledge, the only 645 option in the entire Bronica line that delivers 16 exposures is the RF645.

So, I took the ETRS for a walk with the dog. Quite surprised at how manageable it is with grip and prism. Didn't realise I'd have the luxury of Aperture Priority. Liking it so far...but the chap on my shoulder keeps whispering 6x6...
Anyone have both, want to share your opinion...

Well I started with 6 X 6cm, one TLR and one SLR and didn't like the format, and thought laughable that Rollei produced three versions that is no problem for a SLR i.e. wide angle, normal and tele. Anyway what can be better than one lens for WYSIWYG.

So, I took the ETRS for a walk with the dog. Quite surprised at how manageable it is with grip and prism. Didn't realise I'd have the luxury of Aperture Priority. Liking it so far...but the chap on my shoulder keeps whispering 6x6...
Anyone have both, want to share your opinion...
I had one for a while and couldn't get on with it at all, particularly with the grip and prism attached. It was a little better with the WLF fitted but it still felt plasticky and cheap, I sold it on here and was pleased to see it go. I have given the 6x45 format another go and have a Mamiya 1000s which although it doesn't have the convenience of interchangeable film backs IMO it is a much better made camera, it feels solid, it sits well in my hand and the focussing screen is bright and easy to use. It's performed without any problems, all in all it's just better. But ultimately I prefer my mf to be 6x6 or bigger, just get yourself something square! you won't regret it (y)

I had one for a while and couldn't get on with it at all, particularly with the grip and prism attached. It was a little better with the WLF fitted but it still felt plasticky and cheap, I sold it on here and was pleased to see it go. I have given the 6x45 format another go and have a Mamiya 1000s which although it doesn't have the convenience of interchangeable film backs IMO it is a much better made camera, it feels solid, it sits well in my hand and the focussing screen is bright and easy to use. It's performed without any problems, all in all it's just better. But ultimately I prefer my mf to be 6x6 or bigger, just get yourself something square! you won't regret it (y)

Nick. I've got a couple of TLR's and a 6x9 folder. I guess I'm really asking whether the SQ models are user friendly for hand holding with grip and prism. Or will it be unwieldy...

I'm actually pretty happy with the build quality, it's the metal bodied ETRS not the i version.

Nick. I've got a couple of TLR's and a 6x9 folder. I guess I'm really asking whether the SQ models are user friendly for hand holding with grip and prism. Or will it be unwieldy...

I'm actually pretty happy with the build quality, it's the metal bodied ETRS not the i version.

I don't think there's that much difference in size between the ETR series and the SQ series when geared up with grips and prisms. I do think that the SQ is actually smaller in practice, however, because it is easier to use without needing the prism and grip due to the 6x6 format and, to be honest, the view through the waist level finder is why I'm invested in the SQ. The SQ series also has the added benefit of being able to shoot 645 as well, if you should need to shoot both formats.

I use my SQ-A and SQ-B with the grip often and occasionally with the prism as well and I don't find it much of a problem, but I suppose individual mileage may vary, although I definitely prefer the view through the bigger, brighter WLF or even chimney finder to the usually dimmer view offered by prisms.

bronica_sqa_80mm_compare_bronica_etrsi_2.jpg
bronica_sqa_80mm_compare_bronica_etrsi_1.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think there's that much difference in size between the ETR series and the SQ series when geared up with grips and prisms. I do think that the SQ is actually smaller in practice, however, because it is easier to use without needing the prism and grip due to the 6x6 format and, to be honest, the view through the waist level finder is why I'm invested in the SQ. The SQ series also has the added benefit of being able to shoot 645 as well, if you should need to shoot both formats.

I use my SQ-A and SQ-B with the grip often and occasionally with the prism as well and I don't find it much of a problem, but I suppose individual mileage may vary, although I definitely prefer the view through the bigger, brighter WLF or even chimney finder to the usually dimmer view offered by prisms.

bronica_sqa_80mm_compare_bronica_etrsi_2.jpg
bronica_sqa_80mm_compare_bronica_etrsi_1.jpg

RJ. Thanks for taking the time for posting the comparison photos. Much appreciated..I'll ponder on..

The metal bodied ETRS from what I have read is a lot more solid compared to the I which is what I have. I will say that the ETRSI does feel a bit plasticky. It's no Hasselblad haha but then it's not Hasselblad money either so I won't moan and it did output some really nice images on my test roll of HP5.

The prism turned up today. Really easy to interchange between that and the WLF and feels quite nice to live with. I wasn't sure what to expect. It's only going to be used when I want to shoot portrait mainly I expect.

Hopefully get out with it this weekend if the weathers nice. My 308 has turned up too so all good to go. :)

I don't think there's that much difference in size between the ETR series and the SQ series

I used to wonder why they bothered with the ETRS as a SQ with 6x6 or 6x4.5 backs would have been a better option but I think the ETRS was introduced before they thought about a 6x6 camera.

Steve.

I use the ETRSi with ae II prism and speed grip. I find it works very well for portraits and indeed anything else. I do have the wlf but I don't think I have ever used it. Reading this thread makes me think I should give it a try.

Signing in as a new member. My Browny-Ka is the SQ-A. Lens, PS 80mm f/2.8, PS 150mm f/4, S-18 extension, several backs all for 120, waist level finder, and when I want to use it, a green fast grip. I've owned the SQ-A since last October, having discovered medium format through car boot sale cameras - a Lubitel 166B, Agfa Isolette I, and box cameras.

Not shot in C-41 or E6. I've tried home developing C-41 and I didn't like it. I do like processing B/W film, and scanning - so I concentrate on that. I do (when I get the opportunity), like to take the Bron on walkies down the high street. Street is a challenge, but fun. Nice thread. It attracted me into joining this forum.

Signing in as a new member. My Browny-Ka is the SQ-A. Lens, PS 80mm f/2.8, PS 150mm f/4, S-18 extension, several backs all for 120, waist level finder, and when I want to use it, a green fast grip. I've owned the SQ-A since last October, having discovered medium format through car boot sale cameras - a Lubitel 166B, Agfa Isolette I, and box cameras.

Not shot in C-41 or E6. I've tried home developing C-41 and I didn't like it. I do like processing B/W film, and scanning - so I concentrate on that. I do (when I get the opportunity), like to take the Bron on walkies down the high street. Street is a challenge, but fun. Nice thread. It attracted me into joining this forum.

Welcome to the forum. Always good to see a new Fillum user. Don't forget to post some shots.

Edit: just noticed the dog picture...excuse my brain..

Last edited:
Anyone have any thoughts as to the bellows lens shade for 6x6 ? They seem pretty versatile.

Yep, researching SQ..promised myself I would at least use the 645 for a while..

I think you might have bought that green speed grip from me on eBay.

Welcome aboard!

Question for anyone with an SQ and the MF chimney finder: I know it says you can't use that finder with the SQ-B (which I have), but does it actually not fit, or will it just not link to the ISO dial due to the lack of contact pins on the body? If the finder has its own batteries won't it still work?

Question for anyone with an SQ and the MF chimney finder: I know it says you can't use that finder with the SQ-B (which I have), but does it actually not fit, or will it just not link to the ISO dial due to the lack of contact pins on the body? If the finder has its own batteries won't it still work?

Hmmm... The problem is that the MF Finder S takes over control of the shutter speeds from the body when it's attached (there's actually a shutter speed selector on the finder itself, which adds half stops); but there would be no way for the finder to communicate the shutter speeds to an SQ-B body, as the SQ-B lacks the necessary electrical contacts.

Can I ask why you are interested in the MF Finder S? I would say the ordinary waist level finder is as good or better in most shooting situations, plus the WLF plays nicely with the SQ-B and every other SQ body.

Back