Beginner BSB @ Brands Hatch

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

After some advice on photography at Brands Hatch. Hopefully going this Sat (weather permitting) to watch the qualifying. First time ever and will have my D7200 and 18-300 lens. Just wondering on settings and good locations? Any advice gratefully received :)

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,
This weekend BSB is on the Indy circuit. The advantages include it being quicker for you to get round than the GP loop and also the bikes will be passing more frequently. Disadvantages are that the popular positions will be quite busy( you should still be ok on Saturday) and you don't have quite the same options.

Popular spots include the outside of Druids Bend looking back towards Paddock Hill and inside of Druids where you can get close to the bikes as they take the hairpin (the fencing on the inside is low which also helps ) Clearways is also worth a look.

I'm not familiar with Nikon but basically you want your camera in Servo mode. Shutter speeds will depend on whether you want to freeze the bikes or pan with them to blur the backgrounds , try both, (inside Druids is good for panning as bikes are going relatively slow)
If you are shooting through the catch fencing then get your lens as close as you can to the mesh and use a wider aperture and longer focal length , this will help to reduce the appearance of the mesh. Also watch out for sun on the fencing as this makes it more difficult. It's worth considering a monopod when using your longer focal lengths.

It's a good circuit so I'm sure you'll enjoy the day.

Hi Neil

Thanks for the response and information. Hopefully the weather will hold off, I don't 'do' rain :D.

Cheers

Andy

being bikes it will probably be heaving.

Is it televised? Exit of Clearways, there is a hole in the fence for TV cameras to shoot through. Can get shots through there - less easy if there is a camera man filming, but still can be done, but also likely to be busy, so its a question of waiting your turn. If someones hogging the slot, tell them to p*ss off for a bit.

Don't forget the outer paddock will have lots of photo ops as well. Inner paddock may be restricted, but the big teams will be there.

I spent last weekend at Brands on the Indy circuit and my fitbit reckoned I did 36 miles of walking, Friday, Saturday and Sunday!

Last edited:
Well looks like Saturday is going to be ok now, so we're going :D. Paddock grandstand seats booked. Just hope I can get some good photos (for a noob anyway :D).

Can i ask what the point of asking for help was, people take time to reply then you say you might not even go due to a bit of rain BUT then say your going and have booked a grandstand seat........would be very interested to see what shots you got!! as you didnt take ANY advice given.

Well erm, OK. You told me eh :rolleyes:

The point of my thread was, as stated, to ask for advise on locations and camera settings.

If you wanted to see my pictures you only need to look in the motorsports photos section ;)

Back