BSB @ Silverstone (the sunny version!)

TMT

Name
Kalvin
Edit My Images
Yes
I had planned to go to Santa Pod...but I left my wallet in work and could just about cobble together enough loose change to pay for the BSB. £20 entry paid in 20p pieces that I had in the car! A tricky day shooting through the fence with the bright sunlight, but at least it didn't rain! A small selection...

#1 Through the gate at Brooklands entry

#2 Through the fence at Brooklands exit (you can see the effects of sun/fence in this one)

#3 Luffield taken from up in the grandstand

#4 Luffield through the fence at ground level

#5 Entering Luffield (fence)

#6 Braking for Brooklands at the end of Spitfire Straight (fence again)

Last edited:

I clicked only one of these far too small pictures…
#4 and it's just perfect in my book! (y)(y)(y)

Last edited:
Reactions: TMT
Lovely set, better weather than the racing this afternoon!

Thank you. Glad I went Saturday. Today looked atrocious on TV!

Last edited:
Nice, I've never had much success at Silverstone, but you've got well on top of it with these.

Nice, I've never had much success at Silverstone, but you've got well on top of it with these.
Thank you. To be fair, I visit Silverstone more than any other track, so I've kind of worked out some of the better places to go.

Very nice, would love to try shooting this.

What setup are you using?
I'm very fortunate to be using a Canon 1DX and the 200-400 lens. Most of these pics had the extender on and another extender added too for 784mm length,

I was about to post some of mine from Silverstone but having viewed yours I'm now feeling very inadequate !!
Please don't feel like that. I spent a lot more time than usual processing these, following the feedback I received from some of my previous threads.

Thank you. To be fair, I visit Silverstone more than any other track, so I've kind of worked out some of the better places to go.

I'm very fortunate to be using a Canon 1DX and the 200-400 lens. Most of these pics had the extender on and another extender added too for 784mm length,

Please don't feel like that. I spent a lot more time than usual processing these, following the feedback I received from some of my previous threads.

They are super impressive and something for me to aspire to. I'm starting to realise that taking the pictures is only half the battle, the other is learning the graphics packages [emoji106]

They are super impressive and something for me to aspire to. I'm starting to realise that taking the pictures is only half the battle, the other is learning the graphics packages [emoji106]
That's very generous of you! Yes, you are absolutely right - the work you put into taking the photo is only half the job. The processing can make the difference. I've gone years chopping and changing my settings and I would say that only now (8 years after getting my first DSLR and being introduced to Photoshop) am I quite happy with my processing skills. Take the time to peruse the different threads on this forum. There are some 'togs on here who's work is mindblowing. They also tend to give fair, constructive, helpful feedback. I've changed my processing technique recently due to feedback from members on this forum. Hopefully a few of them will comment on your BSB thread to offer their thoughts.

Very nice overall.
The only thing I noticed is that they all are suffering from over-sharpening causing contrast halos/lines. And there's a larger/softer halo in them along the wheels... I'm not entirely certain what caused that. I highlighted a few example spots in this image.

Brooklands_Rear_37.jpg

Good work, you must have been the only one there, judging by the lack of folk when I watched it last night!

Very nice overall.
The only thing I noticed is that they all are suffering from over-sharpening causing contrast halos/lines. And there's a larger/softer halo in them along the wheels... I'm not entirely certain what caused that. I highlighted a few example spots in this image.

View attachment 110574
Thanks for the spot - I will look back at the full sized images to see what I can see!

Good work, you must have been the only one there, judging by the lack of folk when I watched it last night!
Yes, surprisingly hardly anyone there on the Saturday. Too close to the MotoGP meeting maybe?

Very nice overall.

View attachment 110574
Having checked the full size image - I concur, halos are prevalent! One thing I find tricky, is the balance between a sharpness I desire and the dreaded halos! The one you have highlighted on the rear bodywork is actually the colour scheme of the bike (if you look at the opposite side, you will see the thing grey/silver stripe around the edge of the black). With softer halo along the wheels, I believe it's as a result of over-processing. I tend to process them to as I like to post online elsewhere, then I process again before posting on this forum, as people tend to favour what I always see in most threads as over-processed images. A matter of taste I guess. I would welcome any tips as to how to avoid sharpening halos, however!

I would welcome any tips as to how to avoid sharpening halos, however!
One way is to apply less sharpening ;).
Another is to duplicate the layer twice in PS, apply unsharp mask to both layers and set one to lighter color, the other to darker color. Then mask out the lighter color layer along dark edges and mask out the other along lighter edges.

As above, the sharpening is way too aggressive for my taste (think I may have mentioned it before that it could be the hosting)... what are you using to process them out of interest? Compositionally they all look fine to me but its the processing (and probably the harsh lighting conditions) that are hurting them more than anything.

Back