BT Infinity - alternative router

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just had BT Infinity installed and it's great!

However, unlike the home hub, the Business Hub 3 doesn't have parental controls. Because kids / teenagers get to use our wi-fi at times, I need recommendations for a router that has parental controls built in.

In the past, the home hub had the ability to block adult content to specific users but unfortunately the business hub doesn't have this option :(

Any suggestions for a quality router?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'd probably go with the Vigor (in fact, I nearly did except I wanted dual band wireless). I ended up building my own firewall and sitting it the WAN side of a switch (that reminds me, I must upgrade the wireless access point). A router/firewall is for life, the ISP for a year....

PS. With Infinity and content filtering, you may want to think about the speed of the router CPU. If certain IPs are filtered, it takes compute power to do the filtering. A 4Mbit line will take a lot less filtering (if they are hammering the connection) than a 40+Mbit line.

I have an Intel Atom based firewall running an intrusion detection system and that can get one of the 1.8MHz dual cores full when the peak 60Mbits/s down are coming in.

Quoth said:
I've just had BT Infinity installed and it's great!

However, unlike the home hub, the Business Hub 3 doesn't have parental controls. Because kids / teenagers get to use our wi-fi at times, I need recommendations for a router that has parental controls built in.

In the past, the home hub had the ability to block adult content to specific users but unfortunately the business hub doesn't have this option :(

Any suggestions for a quality router?

Thanks.

Hi

I've the hub 3 - need to double check, but I'm sure in the settings of the hub there is a parental control bit ...

If its of any use, I've a hub 2 that's brand new for sale in the classifieds ...

Hi

I've the hub 3 - need to double check, but I'm sure in the settings of the hub there is a parental control bit ...

Home or business hub 3? If the latter, I've really not been able to find it.

I do have the home hub 2 - I might connect that up and see how it works while I save for the Draytec ;)

Thanks again.

Quoth said:
Home or business hub 3? If the latter, I've really not been able to find it.

I do have the home hub 2 - I might connect that up and see how it works while I save for the Draytec ;)

Thanks again.

Ahh, sorry, home hub 3

Hope you manage to sort something...

Back