Buck in the river

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes

Young Roe Buck
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

I was out walking my dogs this morning and one of them started going bonkers so I knew a deer was about. l looked everywhere then saw a slight ripple in the river and there was this fella, chest deep, I guess he had or was just about to cross but he decided after seeing my two he was safer on his bank and made a swift exit. Just as well as there was a much bigger Buck hidden in the field behind, which I spotted 5 minutes later on the way back.

Roe Buck

Two nice shots Martin but the first is a little special, great shot and well spotted (y)

Very special that first Martin, you did really well here mate(y) got to say the bit of grass in the second brought a wry smile there is always one,just one blade in exactly the wrong place. which we all suffer from

Wicked buddy good for you just a quick question 'cause I'm me:rolleyes::D Was portrait an option ? Your framing is superb Martin, both reflection and buck completely caught, portrait would have given a bit more leaway as it is a little tight top to bottom, possibly more pixels on subject?but I know not if this could have helped improve things. ?

Fab mate love it

Stu

Very special that first Martin, you did really well here mate(y) got to say the bit of grass in the second brought a wry smile there is always one,just one blade in exactly the wrong place. which we all suffer from

Wicked buddy good for you just a quick question 'cause I'm me:rolleyes::D Was portrait an option ? Your framing is superb Martin, both reflection and buck completely caught, portrait would have given a bit more leaway as it is a little tight top to bottom, possibly more pixels on subject?but I know not if this could have helped improve things. ?

Fab mate love it

Stu

Stu
I did both 3 of each but this had the punch from the reflection. I also thought it a little tight top and bottom but I hardy cropped it, just a tiny bit on top to equal the reflection. Nature never poses how you want it and when you have two 35kg lurchers on leads trying to get to what you are photographing at a fixed 420mm you take what you can get.

I have done a square crop of a portrait shot which I will post next time on a PC just for comments.

Thanks for the feedback.

Martin

Love the first with the reflection ... you have some great walks! :)

? Your framing is superb Martin, both reflection and buck completely caught, portrait would have given a bit more leaway as it is a little tight top to bottom, possibly more pixels on subject?but I know not if this could have helped improve things. ?

Stu
Stu
All the portrait ones do not have a full reflection of the deer's face so they are no good, the reflection is right on the bottom of the frame as seen in this shot. I did compose the shot as good as I could in camera by moving the focus point up but I could have gone one higher (mistake) and focused on the eyes. It goes to show how close all the 45 focus points are on my camera. I have had a play and a 8x10 crop seems to work a little better giving more room to the top but there is nothing I can do about the bottom.

Thanks for your comments it is always good to hear others thought when they are constructive.

8x10 Crop

Last edited:
You are very welcome Martin ,I feel exactly the same I cherish the constructive comments mate. It's such a wonderful image Martin,I often wish the focal points on the 1div were closer to the edge of frame...more widely spread ,at times. The cluster in the middle are sometimes not where I really want them to be You have got both the mark iv and the 7dii haven't you mate,is the ii similar or are they more widely spread than the mark iv.? I'm really thrilled for ya mate that you got that reflection as well it can't have been easy this I still think you did very well,but it's always worth pondering what options there might have been for a possible improvement. I actually feel both parties benefit from musings like this.

Thanks for the kindly words mate and the reply

stu

I often wish the focal points on the 1div were closer to the edge of frame...more widely spread ,at times. The cluster in the middle are sometimes not where I really want them to be You have got both the mark iv and the 7dii haven't you mate,is the ii similar or are they more widely spread than the mark iv

stu

Stu

Thanks again and I too wish there was a wider spread but when it came out plenty of cameras only had nine af point all very central.. The 7Dii has a wider spread but still not that much higher or lower I think, I really only use it with my 500mm now and have not done a proper comparison I will have a play when the wife is back to work as the 500mm has still not been clocked.

What a dream opportunity, can you give me any tips on smuggling a 500mm in without being noticed, I'm married to a cross between Miss Marple and Hercule Poirrot - hats off to you

What a dream opportunity, can you give me any tips on smuggling a 500mm in without being noticed, I'm married to a cross between Miss Marple and Hercule Poirrot - hats off to you

Sounds tricky to me,mine thinks cameras are big and black after gradually upgrading and sharing some sales money. Lenses are either white or wear camo. Having a large bag or two helps. Good luck well worth it.

Back