Bucking the trend - Fuji to DSLR Crop ?

Humm I see what you mean - I am not a professional but then again you don't need to be to see the difference..

Although I don't take photos of charts i suppose !
Its not just charts though you can move around the screen change the iso change between raw and jpeg. I think its a better gauge than some number in from dxomark. The fuji also has better dynamic range for landscapes which i assume you;re buying the wideangle for.

You can also download full size files in real world shots that you can compare in your edited software.

Last edited:
If you have no spare cash to buy the lens (as in the money is only there if you sell up) then it would be cheaper to make the swap I guess, the Canon camera and lens could be had for less than the cost of the Fuji lens. I guess many are surprised as most people switch from a DSLR to mirrorless, but there is no reason not to go the other way if you can't get what you want with Fuji.

I have a basic Canon 1300D and have held off buying any new lenses until I decide which way I'm going. I could either decide to stick to the crop sensor and just upgrade the camera to another crop at some point, in which case both the EFS lenses and EF will work. Or if I wanted to go full-frame I couldn't use any EFS lenses. My other option is to invest in a different system altogether, I'm seriously considering a Fuji X-T2 but also curious about the Pentax K1.

Ultimately you have to go with what you want and will work best for you, many people will continue to use Canon and won't even consider switching to Fuji so it should not as if you are moving to a brand that will die off!

Surprising how well the Fuji stands up to 24mp cameras !

The d7200 looks good though

MP doesn't have anything to do with it, however physical sensor size does.

Last edited:

Theres going to be little between the X-Pro2/XT2 and a D7100/D7200 at the end of they they all have what seem to be the top end APS-C 24mp sensors (Sony in the Fuji and Toshiba in the Nikons)
The bit that surprises me is how close the X-Pro 2 gets to a 24mp full frame camera like my old Nikon D600 or D750, Granted the Nikon will always have better Dynamic range and low light capability due to its larger sensor but I can honestly say that having shot some very similar shots with both (mainly landscape/cityscape type stuff) I don't see a massive difference, you'd probably need to be an uber pixel peeper!

At A3+, I can't tell you which of my prints are from which camera - D200, D700, D750, X-Pro1, X-T1 or even X-10/20/30/F!

Theres going to be little between the X-Pro2/XT2 and a D7100/D7200 at the end of they they all have what seem to be the top end APS-C 24mp sensors (Sony in the Fuji and Toshiba in the Nikons)
The bit that surprises me is how close the X-Pro 2 gets to a 24mp full frame camera like my old Nikon D600 or D750, Granted the Nikon will always have better Dynamic range and low light capability due to its larger sensor but I can honestly say that having shot some very similar shots with both (mainly landscape/cityscape type stuff) I don't see a massive difference, you'd probably need to be an uber pixel peeper!

It depends what you're shooting and the prevailing conditions. It's easy to tell sensors apart when your post producing raws (the flaws and strengths in any sensor are evident there), it's very easy to see, but when you've finished and exported the final image, that's when it's difficult to tell. In fact, looking through images in photographic magazines, unless it says you'll never know what lens / body combo took the shot.

Last edited:
The new 24mp Fuji sensor handles noise better than a few full frame such as the a7ii and probably canons offering I've not checked.

It depends what you're shooting and the prevailing conditions. It's easy to tell sensors apart when your post producing raws (the flaws and strengths in any sensor are evident there), it's very easy to see, but when you've finished and exported the final image, that's when it's difficult to tell. In fact, looking through images in photographic magazines, unless it says you'll never know what lens / body combo took the shot.
You reckon? You'll be hard pushed to see any difference in Fuji's raw files and a full frame raw file.

You reckon? You'll be hard pushed to see any difference in Fuji's raw files and a full frame raw file.

Shadow recovery?

My 6d has far better shadow recovery, detail and clarity than my x100, but I've not tried the XTs.

The new 24mp Fuji sensor handles noise better than a few full frame such as the a7ii and probably canons offering I've not checked.

Agree on that, I was never too impressed with the noise on the A7/A7ii, only Nikon of the equivalent 24mp sensor (D750) can better it as far as I can see

Shadow recovery?

My 6d has far better shadow recovery, detail and clarity than my x100, but I've not tried the XTs.

My X-T1 has better shadow recovery than my old 6D did, the difference isn't massive, but it's there. The X100's sensor is really quite old now, so that doesn't surprise me TBH.

Back