Bucking the trend - Fuji to DSLR Crop ?

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
Yes
I realise I'm bucking the trend here but I am part way through leaving Fuji to move to a crop DSLR..

I've owned an XE-2, XT-10 and XT-1 over the past 2 or 3 years and have been very happy but I find the cost of the lenses prohibitive and difficult to justify. (I am an amateur after all)

I really want an zoom UWA and the cost of the Fuji 10-24 is just scary (unless someone on here wants to sell one!)

I have been looking at other systems and have discounted M4/3's (don't like the design of the 9-18 or the 7-14) and feel that moving to Sony has the same issues as Fuji (limited and expensive lenses) - I also don't get on with Sonys, they feel more like a computer than a camera to me..

So that has led me to a Canon 760d (I know not even a Nikon!!) Mainly due to the very reasonably priced EFS 10-18 which is light and well cheap as chips. I would also add the 24mm and perhaps the 18-135 for a one lens solution. All of these could be added pretty cheaply.

The problem is that there is a lot of Fuji love going on at the moment and I don't want to regret my decision - I love the quality and design of the Fuji bodies and I enjoy the quality and colours of the jpegs.

Also I've started to read about micro adjustment which I've never had to worry about before and I really think I will miss the WYSIWYG view in the EVF and also being able to view the image in the EVF !

So I'd like some advice please from anyone that has done similar or vice versa - is this a good move or will I have a Fuji WTD advert in the classifieds before November ?

thanks

If you take into account the money you'll lose from trading in the Fuji kit and reloading with similar performance Canon stuff, I bet the Fuji 10-24 seems a good deal!

I think the truth is buy what your happy with, try out the Canon in a shop and make sure its comfortable to use and you want to jump up in size to that, its going to be a fair bit bigger than the Fuji's you've been using.
IQ wise I don't think theres going to be a huge amount in it, albrit yes your right people rave about Fuji JPEG's and I agree they can be very good, I've never been able to say the same about any DSLR I've used.

At the end of they day though your right about cost, I almost went back full-time to Nikon full frame, £1350 for a used D810 is a lot of value for money! and used DSLR full frame lenses seem to be cheaper now than they've been for a long time I can only imagine the same is the case for crop DSLR kit.

That said a used 10-24 can be had for roughly £425-£450 albeit they seem to come up rarely, however thats not much more than an UWA lens on crop (Thinking Sigma 10-20, Tamron 10-24 or Tokin 11-16)

I have been looking at other systems and have discounted M4/3's (don't like the design of the 9-18 or the 7-14) and feel that moving to Sony has the same issues as Fuji (limited and expensive lenses) - I also don't get on with Sonys, they feel more like a computer than a camera to me..

What do you mean? I can I suppose understand not liking the collapsible Olympus but you could always just refuse to collapse it, other than that what is it about the design you don't like?

Personally I'd only go back to DSLR's with a very large gun to my head and if looking to cut costs I'd head to older model CSC kit to cut the budget. What you save on a body could result in a reasonable cost wide angle lens and body set up.

Oh, and sorry but I'm always mystified by the comments about Sony cameras being computers. Having spent decades fixing real computers from the days of Dec to notebooks and even longer using cameras from my Kodak instamatic through RF's and SLR's and on to DSLR's and mirrorless I just don't see it. At All. Sony's are no more computers than Fuji's or any other CSC. Get over your brand snobbery and prejudice! :D

If you take into account the money you'll lose from trading in the Fuji kit and reloading with similar performance Canon stuff, I bet the Fuji 10-24 seems a good deal!

I only had the XC lenses and sold them for what I paid for them - the body I bought second hand so I won't lose much on that either!

I've got £1100 max to spend

Have to say when I used the Oly 9-18 it was a good lens despite the design but it can hardly be called ultra wide compared to something like the Tamron 10-24 or Sigma 10-20.
The Panasonic 7-14 is a great lens if used with a Panasonic camera but produced horrendous purple flare with the Olympus EM5 and EM1 which was a shame as I don't think theres much doubt that for still photography the Olympus M4/3 bodies are the best of the bunch in that format, (Panasonic GH bodies though seem excellent for video!)

What do you mean? I can I suppose understand not liking the collapsible Olympus but you could always just refuse to collapse it, other than that what is it about the design you don't like?

Personally I'd only go back to DSLR's with a very large gun to my head and if looking to cut costs I'd head to older model CSC kit to cut the budget. What you save on a body could result in a reasonable cost wide angle lens and body set up.

Oh, and sorry but I'm always mystified by the comments about Sony cameras being computers. Having spent decades fixing real computers from the days of Dec to notebooks and even longer using cameras from my Kodak instamatic through RF's and SLR's and on to DSLR's and mirrorless I just don't see it. At All. Sony's are no more computers than Fuji's or any other CSC. Get over your brand snobbery and prejudice! :D

Just remember I'm only stating my feelings I'm not saying you have to agree - I hate lenses where they have to be twisted to open! It's also not that wide as stated above by Chris.

Re Sony I just don't like them - they aren't comfortable or intuitive, they dont feel like a camera and they don't inspire me - nothing to do with brand snobbery or I wouldn't be looking at Canon would I!

Last edited:
Just remember I'm only starting my feelings I'm not saying you have to agree - I hate lenses where they have to be twisted to open! It's also not that wide as stated above by Chris.

Re Sony I just don't like them - they aren't comfortable or intuitive, they dont feel like a camera and they don't inspire me - nothing to do with brand snobbery or I wouldn't be looking at Canon would I!

Amen on Sonys, yeuch. What's wrong with the 7-14mm Panasonic lens though, it's a VERY good lens I can assure you. I take it your £1100 budget is after selling all the fuji kit?

Amen on Sonys, yeuch. What's wrong with the 7-14mm Panasonic lens though, it's a VERY good lens I can assure you. I take it your £1100 budget is after selling all the fuji kit?

Yes £1100 after selling my Fuji stuff - the 7-14 is expensive and I don't like the attached hood!

Last edited:
I have both systems - a Fuji x100s and an X-Pro1, with a couple of primes and the 18-55. I also have a Nikon D7100 with a couple of primes and the 18-55. I like both systems but the Nikon is my goto system 95% of the time. I love the x100s if I'm travelling light, but for general "going out to take photos" trips Nikon wins. I prefer the handling, simple as that. Plus you're right about lenses - I like the Fuji glass, but boy is Nikon / Tamron (etc) glass a lot more affordable! (at an amateur level, and generally used).

My problem with Fuji, relates to my now very shaky hands.

This is not a problem with the X30 as it is a fixed zoom lens with anti shake.
But many of their better lenses do not have OIS so they are a problem for people with my condition.
I now need OIS at all focal lengths.
Whilst I agree it is possible to create lenses with higher resolving power with no OIS. It is a case of diminishing returns when the least amount of shake is inevitable.

My problem with Fuji, relates to my now very shaky hands.

This is not a problem with the X30 as it is a fixed zoom lens with anti shake.
But many of their better lenses do not have OIS so they are a problem for people with my condition.
I now need OIS at all focal lengths.
Whilst I agree it is possible to create lenses with higher resolving power with no OIS. It is a case of diminishing returns when the least amount of shake is inevitable.

I know exactly what you mean and tend to shy away from the primes for the same reason although I find myself using a tripod much more these days

No problem though with the 10-24, 18-55 and 55-200, all very good lenses, reasonably compact and covering everything I require.

Switched from Canon FF to Fuji and more than satisfied with that decision, about three years now and cannot see myself changing again

One viable alternative for you might be Pentax (I started with a K100D) their K5ii series are excellent as are their lenses. I did consider them again myself as a lighter smaller alternative to Canon, but Fuji won me over with their quality and size

Last edited:
I've recently bought a used D90 after giving up my DSLR about ten years ago - a combination of lost interest and never taking it out because of the size.

Having worked by way back via a little Lumix, X10 and X100 I still have my Sony A6000, kit zoom and 50mm prime.

I must admit I much prefer the feel of the D90 and the price and availability of good used lenses is a real plus for me.

I'll keep both for the foreseeable future until I have a variety of images to compare and can judge if I'm using the D90 as much as I would the Sony.

Size and weight are important to me but something like a 760 and 10-18 weighs no more than a fuji set up...

I
I guess you could always go with a very good, if very dead end Samsung setup? Could pick up an NX30 with 18-55mm and 12-24mm lenses for about £700 :D
I'm still gutted about the nx death. I've got gear to sell.

I

I'm still gutted about the nx death. I've got gear to sell.

Amongst the many mirrorless cameras I flirted with before settling on Fuji, I owned for a while an nx100, nx11 and nx1000. I thought the output from all with the 20-50mm, 18-55mm and 30mm lenses was very good indeed. Didn't like using the cameras particularly though, a bit too computerey like the Sonys for me :)

Switched from Fuji X to a Canon 6D and haven't regretted it. The JPEGS from the Fooj are good and the weight is a plus too. Travelled with the 6D recently and a 24-105 L in South Wales and it wasn't overly cumbersome.

Considered the A7 series but it just wasn't for me. Didn't like the handling or feel of it - but thats just a personal thing. They are very good cameras and well rated. I think it does depend on what you shoot. I feel a bit more trusting of the 6D in some scenarios and as much as I loved the EVF on the X-T, it's nice having an old fashioned OVF again.

Dear i say it, more like 2 stops :exit:

Last edited:
why would i lose a stop and high iso performance going from fuji to canon ?

Back on topic, the EFs 10-18 is quite a decent lens for the money. The only "negative" is the slow wide aperture but then for that price...... The IS is a great help as I use mine on an old 450D which gets very noisy above ISO 400.

The performance of Canon sensors lags behind those of just about every other manufacturers. However things are starting to get betterwith the very latest models with some improvements in their sensors but still they are a little behind. However don't let that put you off Canon. In the real world it's not make or break.

The performance of Canon sensors lags behind those of just about every other manufacturers. However things are starting to get betterwith the very latest models with some improvements in their sensors but still they are a little behind. However don't let that put you off Canon. In the real world it's not make or break.

Yes i have read loads of reviews about the 760d and most seem to agree that they have closed the gap, even drawn level but Nikon still lead the field. As you say the differences will be hard to spot in real life

I hope..

Noise levels shooting at 6400 on a fuji is simillar to 1600 on a canon.

Sorry i just don't get why you would move? You've spent a lot of money on bodies in the last couple of years i don't know why you won't just pay for the fuji wideangle used or on the refurbished page. How much are you going to lose selling everything? Glass is and always will be a better investment. Cameras are pretty worthless pretty quickly.

Used xt1 now £550 5yrs time £150. Used 10-24 now £550 in 5 years time £600.

Last edited:
After my switch from Nikon D90 to the Fuji X100 and later Fuji X system cameras I never looked back, and I would never go back. I choose Nikon over Canon by the time because of the big market of used lenses, but honestly I was never really happy with the performance of the old glass on a sensor, plus all the struggle with phase contrast AF... Also the fact that Nikon, as well as Canon, is not really interested in the support of their APS-C systems with small new lenses, especially prime lenses, one has to buy expensive and havy full frame lenses instead. The new affordable lineup of Canon lenses is an exception here, although it's not a large linup...

If you don't plan to buy more lenses in the future and don't mind the size of a DSLR you might be better of with the Canon, from what I read the optical quality of the new lenses isn't bad either. The optical viewfinder also has it's advantages, therefore I always liked the X100 and X-Pro1/X-Pro2 hybrid viewfinder. But if I were you I would try to find a used Fuji lens instead (I bought most of my cameras and lenses used) before switching systems back to DSLR. Fuji also sells refurbished lenses I just found out, they don't have a 10-24 at the moment though: http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/lenses/refurbished-lenses

Noise levels shooting at 6400 on a fuji is simillar to 1600 on a canon.

Sorry i just don't get why you would move? You've spent a lot of money on bodies in the last couple of years i don't know why you won't just pay for the fuji wideangle used or on the refurbished page. How much are you going to lose selling everything? Glass is and always will be a better investment. Cameras are pretty worthless pretty quickly.

Used xt1 now £550 5yrs time £150. Used 10-24 now £550 in 5 years time £600.

I only had the XC lenses and sold them for what I paid for them - the body I bought second hand so I won't lose much on that either!

I've never really lost any money with all the lenses or bodies I've bought (apart from the 35mm F2 which I paid £239 for and sold for £200 and about £100 on the XT-10 after owning it for a year)

I've never really lost any money with all the lenses or bodies I've bought (apart from the 35mm F2 which I paid £239 for and sold for £200 and about £100 on the XT-10 after owning it for a year)
I always like to use the dpreview comparision tool. Check the link below and see if you're happy with the high loss.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...=1&x=-0.8951196940388518&y=0.1693177102420377

Back