Beginner Budget DSLR

westie2345

Edit My Images
Yes
My current camera (a Fuji S5800) has just died, due to a broken autofocus. Taking advantage of this I have decided to get a DSLR, however my budget is £200 (an absolute of £240). I am considering a Canon EOS 1000D and 18-55mm kit mainly for photographing snakes, I would just like someone to confirm whether this would be a good option or if i should wait until I can buy brand new.

Thanks in advance
Steven

I'm not familiar with the 1000D specifically, and I couldn't say whether it represents good value for money on the used market compared to other similar models.

But in general, buying a used DSLR can be very cost effective. Entry-level DSLRs typically don't see a lot of hard use so they should have a lot of mileage left on them. And the frequency with which new models are introduced can give the impression that older cameras are no good, which certainly isn't the case, but helps to keep prices down. (A lot of people won't want to buy camera 'X' if they have the option of 'X+1'.)

So in principle your suggestion is a good one, but it would be a good idea to research the market to check where you get the best value for money, and make sure you buy equipment that's in good condition.

Many people have had good luck with used cameras Personally I buy only new bodies but have no problem with used lenses (except the 250$ basically new 7d I bought). Being a beginner I think it may be a good idea to buy new when you can afford it. The reason is that I think you might not have a good enough idea on how to tell a well taken care of, low shutter camera vs a cleaned up almost wore out one. But on the other hand, if you know someone that you trust and they have a used camera they will sell you go for it. Just play on the side of safe and that way you will have no regrets. It's just my opinion. Good luck.:canon:

I'm fairly new to photography and am already on my 4th second hand body!
All the ones I've bought have had no issues whatsoever and I've sold the previous 3 on to friends who are still using them.
I've upgraded when funds allowed to finally end up with the body I always wanted, the Canon 7D.
In fact, other than my 50mm 1.8 everything I've bought so far has been second hand!
You will easily be able to pick up a 1000D and 18-55 IS for under £200 and it will do you well.

I wouldn't spend your cash on a new camera, after a few months you will want to upgrade. Agree with above go for a used model higher up the range.

You'll be able to get the 500d second hand well with that price and its a great little camera, served me very well indeed.

I wouldn't spend your cash on a new camera, after a few months you will want to upgrade.

I'll agree with this. I'm new to photography and I brought a new Canon 1100d last year. Although I'm really happy with it and I'm learning loads using it, I can't help feeling that a second hand body higher up in their range may have been a better option.

i have the 1100d and its a good beginner body that will do you well. im always saving for a new body but spend it on a new lens or a new tripod and so on lol so a 1000d/1100d and a good macro lens would be a good option for snakes

I'd concur with the "used" sentiments. ^_^ I began with a lightly used D90, for not much more than the new D5000 I'd been considering at the time - and I've been very pleased I did. Indeed, even a couple years on, the D90 remains quite popular used - you'll find plenty of bodies on MPB's listings, but few D90s!

I'd go with second hand. You'll get more for your money, and you won't have to deal with the instant depreciation of a new body.

Don't worry too much about which camera to choose. All modern DSLRs, and most of the older ones, are very good indeed. Just pick one that feels right in your hands (ergonomics, controls etc) and use it. I wouldn't be too concerned about upgrading either. A lot of people upgrade because they want to - which is fine - rather than need to. You only reach this point when you outgrow the camera, and want to go beyond its limitations.

I've been involved in photography since I was a kid in the 60s, and bought my first DSLR about 5 or 6 years ago. It's a Canon 30D, and getting long in the tooth by many people's standards, but I've never had the slightest desire to "upgrade". The camera can do everything I want, and more.

Yep I'd agree. I've always bought second hand kit.. Much better kit than I could ever have afforded new, which has meant better pictures!

Also when you come upgrade you can normally end selling it for close to what you bought it for (if you take care of it!!)

Cameraworld are doing refurbished Nikon D3000 with a kit lens for £159:
http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/refurbished-nikon-d3000-18-55mm-f3-5-5-6-vr.html

(Older entry level model with 10mp sensor like the 1000D) So for the same price as a used model you can get a refurb with a warranty although I am not sure if you get the full Nikon warranty with these or a shorter warranty from Cameraworld). (I bought a 'refurb' from Sony UK and it looked just like new and came with a full 12 month Sony warranty). Have never used a 1000D or a D3000 but £159 seems like pretty good value to me for someone on a limited budget?

Harrison cameras also have a used 1000D + 18-55 for £150 and a Nikon D200 body for £160 - both with a 1 year warranty. D200 is also 10mp, but a much higher level body than the D3000 - a lot of camera for £160 and only 11219 shutter actuations so should be a lot of life left in it. http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/Used/Used-Cameras.htm#&&pi=1&ne=AQAAAEgAAAAEDUQtU0xSIENhbWVyYXM=

Fleabay failed me as my mum said 'there is no point in spending over £100 for a camera' so I have to reconvince her.

Unfortunately I am still at the age where my parents can control my finances.

MPB have a number of canon 400Ds for £89 http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-digital-slr-cameras/ - admittedly thats body only , so you'd also need 30 or so quid for a kit lens off ebay.

The 400D is a pretty capable little camera - its a bit dated now, but will still be capable of getting good shots (and spending more won't guarantee better shots until you've learnt a lot about DSLR photography.

That said if you get into photography as a hobby your mum is going to have to loosen the purse strings (or you get old enough to geta job and buy your own kit)

My dad wants an SLR too so he's going to convince my mum to get a 'family SLR' meaning we'll be able to get either the 1000d or the 40d

Sounds like mum's worried you're going to spend lots of money on a camera then get bored. The only real answer to that is to prove her wrong. See if you can persuade her to let you get a 2nd hand camera- that way if you were to lose interest you could sell it again and you wouldn't lose much money. Perhaps you can agree to get something cheap like a 400d as Pete suggests now, on the understanding that if you're still keen in a few months (birthday/xmas) you can get something a bit better?
It might also be worth looking at a paper round (if you're old enough) or helping round the house in exchange for some money or goodwill- show her that you're serious about getting a camera.
Sorry if that's patronising Steven- you don't say how old you are.

I used to be seriously into photography when I was 13, so my mum said for my 16th birthday she would get me a DSLR. However now that I'm 16 I'm just getting back into it.

Age 16 you can get an evening /weekend job and buy your own camera

I'll get Tuesday and Friday off on my college course when I start in September, but at the moment I've only got weekends which are fully booked with Scout events.

The other issue is that even though I have the money my mum still decides what I can and can't buy.

Hi westie, I bought a Canon 1000D last week with a 18-55mm lens which came boxed with everything you normally get like shoulder strap,charger,battery etc with a shutter count of 14000 for £130 which included next day delivery and a 16gb memory card. It also came with a wired remote control for the shutter.

You can pick a 1000D up from many sites now for £130 and less and there are plenty of good deals on the classifieds. If I was you I would go for the Canon 450D which is an upgraded version of the 1000D and costs ten or twenty pounds more.

Second hand kit FTW - if you're happy to check out a bit of gear first to make sure it works okay, let someone else take the depreciation hit.

My dad wants an SLR too so he's going to convince my mum to get a 'family SLR' meaning we'll be able to get either the 1000d or the 40d

if you wind up getting your own as well it would make sense to get the same system so you and dad can share lenses - the one word of caution on only getting the one is how much you'll actually get to use it if dad has first dibs.

I'll get Tuesday and Friday off on my college course when I start in September, but at the moment I've only got weekends which are fully booked with Scout events.

all depends on priorities of how baddy you want that camera i guess - if you want it more than you want to do other things then get a weekend job and buy one , if scout events are more important to you, then you'll just have to save up in other ways

The other issue is that even though I have the money my mum still decides what I can and can't buy.

you ought to have a chat with her about that, at 16 you arent a little kid any more , if you earnt the money you should have some say in spending it (may be you can agree some ground rules - as i recall when i was your age I agreed with my folks that 50% of what i earnt went in the savings account not to be touched till i was 18, while the other 50% was mine to do what i pleased with so long as it was legal- although tbh I recall cheating on this somewhat by doing extra stuff cash in hand and not telling the parentals). By the time i was 18 there was enough in the savings for my first motorbike , plus i'd bought a camera and various other stuff out of the half that was my play money

Last edited:
I had the 1000d and found it a great little camera. Have 100d now and love its little features and happy with results.

i had the exact same dilemma as you, my s5800 died although mine was due to a broken flash catch which prevented the camera from taking the picture. I bought and eos400d off ebay for 150 notes and got a decent camera bag, tripod and two lenses for that. the two lenses are standard kit lenses but have been perfect for me just starting out

Personally I would consider other cameras than the 1000D, as it will give you more flexibility later on. I posted this on another thread. The 1000D was an entry level camera built to price rather than features, but secondhand market opens up a lot of other possibilities from higher up the food chain.

me said:
Well £ 91 will buy you a secondhand Canon 400D from WEX with 12m warranty, and £ 45 will get her a 18-55 IS kit lens, which is enough to get her going.

Another £ 90 would get her a Canon 55-250 IS lens, again secondhand.

Last edited:
Just bought a Canon 1100D. Cost me £247 from Amazon but I paid £8.99 for next day before 0900 delivery.

Came with 18 -55mm lens and been taking some photos off my Royal pythons. Apart from my poor composition I'm happy with the photo quality. Macro lens is defo on my wish list, and a telephoto lens for aircraft and motorsport stuff.

Last edited:
Im new to photography but bought my first camera as a used samsung nx1000 and a used samsung 60mm f2.8 macro lens for £300 which seems like and awesome price considering the lens is £450 new! just waiting to the lens to arrive tomorrow and Im going to take loads of pics of my GTPs!

2nd hand is the way to go, personally I think there are better options out there than the 1000D. What you want is a camera body with a bit more flexibility that you can grow into while your learning, not something that you grown out of quick and need to replace, but it depends whether you're wanting to taking photography seriously or just a fad.
Personally I would go to a camera shop, try out the selection of camera's from sony, canon to nikon and see which body you think works for you, i.e. access to controls, size, weight, then have a look at mifsuds, mpb photographic, camtech, park camera's, ffordes etc (all rep 2nd dealers) and have a look at the previous models of the camera you liked which falls into your budget, but personally, I would up your budget and perhaps wait a bit before taking the plunge.

get a 40d, if it is a fad and you look after it you'll get a large percentage back if you buy carefully in the first place.

I bought the Nikon 3200 from argos and have had it now for 7 months and think its fantastic had no problems what so ever!

Back