Budget Full Frame Sweet Spot

I've never personally used a lensbaby! I was only suggesting.... An option .... I agree with quality secondhand ! I've only ever bought one lens new! (Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art lens) but I've had some right bargains and always pay cash and collect and inspect purchase

If you look here:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Samyang-24mm-f-3.5-Tilt-Shift-Lens-Review.aspx

there is a vast difference in quality in the lenses with the Samyang being noticeably less sharp than the Canon virtually all through the exposure range which would really impact on any architectural shots.

But the bad news is that the Canon TS E Tilt-shift lens is over twice the price of the Samyang.

You might be able to use the Samyang from f8 onwards with sharpening but personally I would definitely go with the Canon model if affordable or simply wait until I could afford it and use software to correct the leaning verticals etc.

I am a Nikon user, and understand the Samyang to be not too far off the Nikon 24mm, but behind the Canon equivalent(s) optically. The build quality is a different matter of course and would love a nikon lens with the quality of the 17mm ts-e. I think even that review linked suggests by f11 the differences are marginal, which is what I tend to use with mine, though if I was intending to get a system with the aim of using a tilt shift lens, I would probably decide what system had the best lens for my needs and work on that basis personally. (or even get a cheap monorail 4x5 and use that)

Unfortunately although going grey can save quite a bit of money sometimes it can go wrong:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/5d-mk3-error-30.576995/#post-6744931

Having said that I have bought quite a lot of S/H cameras, lenses and accessories from the classifieds on here and have never had any problems with them - just something to consider - as long as you use a seller with good feedback.

Your link is for a camera that failed after 2.5 years, couldn't that happen with a UK camera? With the £600 saving he made with the purchase it allows him to swallow up the repair, perhaps that wouldn't have been the same witha UK one?

I have bought a few cameras using the grey route, two of which were last year. My last one being a D750 which had debris in the VF after a few days use. Panamoz collected the camera the next day after reporting the issue and I had a refund to my account three days later. I have bought from this Forum, Amazon, Wex etc and I havent had that level of service.

So if you go with the likes of DR, HDEW & Panamoz I think you find you will get good service.

Anyway, not to get into the Grey / UK argument and not to de-rail the thread.

Moving on........................................

Just wanted to update the thread after lots of research and head scratching. I've stumbled across a 4k shutter count d700 with a 50 1.8af-s that I'm sure I could bag for £750, sound like a good deal?

Just wanted to update the thread after lots of research and head scratching. I've stumbled across a 4k shutter count d700 with a 50 1.8af-s that I'm sure I could bag for £750, sound like a good deal?

I would say that's an OK deal rather than a great deal - if you consider that if you're lucky you can get the lens for £100 second hand so that's £650 for a low milage camera. Not bad but they've been dropping in price a bit recently.

Well after a lot of hunting I've been able to buy a used 6d and 16-35f4 for just shy of £1400. It was worth paying the extra for a more future proof setup

Back