Budget Nikon zoom options

Edit My Images
No
While I'd love premium zooms it's not going to happen, so I'm looking for a used Nikon DX zoom lens for under £100. I enjoy the odd landscape, family portraits, general photography etc and found a prime just a bit limiting for my style of shooting.

I'm looking for suggestions within my budget (appreciate the selection may be limited!) of what is worth it and what to avoid. Any help appreciated!

I have the 55-200mm DX. Only cost £90 on eBay! It's pretty good when there's enough light and is also very compact and doesn't weight much. Good for detail landscapes.

Last edited:
You should be able to pick up an 18-70 for this - there's one on ebay at the moment with the original hood and pouch in nice condition. Sharp, fast AFS, metal mount, but like many 18-x lenses some complex distortion at the wide end. I've used it a lot on the D300, and the D70 before that, and have been very pleased with the results.

There are two or three 18mm - 55, 70, 105. Prices below from MPB
-55mm from £44-...
-70mm from £54-...
- 105 ??? EDIT: £94-134 (avoid the cheapest)
Watch out within each focal length there are different models.

EDIT. You may have to look at the 18-70 but check the different models as I am not that familiar with Nikon's acronyms. FYI I have the 18-105 standard kit lens and and despite having spend money on other lenses that is the one that seems to be permanently on the camera.

Last edited:
My son has the 18-105 on his d3100 and I think it's great. Perfectly good for 99% of people I'd say

I have the 55-200mm DX. Only cost £90 on eBay! It's pretty good when there's enough light and is also very compact and doesn't weight much. Good for detail landscapes.
Thanks although I might like something a little wider on occasion but a good suggestion!

You should be able to pick up an 18-70 for this - there's one on ebay at the moment with the original hood and pouch in nice condition. Sharp, fast AFS, metal mount, but like many 18-x lenses some complex distortion at the wide end. I've used it a lot on the D300, and the D70 before that, and have been very pleased with the results.
This might be a good option.....

There are two or three 18mm - 55, 70, 105. Prices below from MPB
-55mm from £44-...
-70mm from £54-...
- 105 ??? EDIT: £94-134 (avoid the cheapest)
Watch out within each focal length there are different models.

EDIT. You may have to look at the 18-70 but check the different models as I am not that familiar with Nikon's acronyms. FYI I have the 18-105 standard kit lens and and despite having spend money on other lenses that is the one that seems to be permanently on the camera.
I think the 18-105mm would be ideal if I could get one but might have to go to the 18-70 due to budget. Thanks!

I bought an old 28-80 f3.3-5.6 plastic fantastic lens earlier this year. Circa £40 quid which yields good results, I also have the old 70-210 f4-5.6 which works well enough too.

In fairness if you hunt around you can pick both lenses up for under a hundred quid.

Another vote for the 18-70 Nikkor.

What is the prime you currently have? Personally Id try and save a bit more cash and look for the 18-200mm that would cover you for every occasion. If you really must get a zoom now then you need to decide what are you missing ie a range 18-55 or 70-300

What is the prime you currently have? Personally Id try and save a bit more cash and look for the 18-200mm that would cover you for every occasion. If you really must get a zoom now then you need to decide what are you missing ie a range 18-55 or 70-300
I've got a 35mm, personally I think I'm missing both ends! Sometimes I need wider and other times a lot longer!

The 18-55mm with VR can be picked up cheap if you shop around and it certainly punches well above it’s price.
There are non -VR versions available even cheaper also the old 70-210 or 75-300mm can be had at silly low prices.
I only have 3 DX lenses now tokina 10-17mm fisheye 18-55mm VR & 18-200mm VR along with a set of close up filters more than cover most shooting eventualities for me.
If you just want one save a little longer and get a 18-200mm VR that along with your prime will cover a wealth of photo opportunities

Id stick with the 18-55 VR2 kit lens(£50 ish on ebay) and save up for the 70-300mm VR (the VR bit is important). After this you can look for 18-55 2.8 Nikkor but its £400-£500 second hand.

Or if you can go for the Tokina 100mm 2.8 which will do as a macro lens and as a great portrait lens.

Lots of options - I quite like to follow the angry photographer on youtube who gives great reviews on all the lens options.

Good luck

Id stick with the 18-55 VR2 kit lens(£50 ish on ebay) and save up for the 70-300mm VR (the VR bit is important). After this you can look for 18-55 2.8 Nikkor but its £400-£500 second hand.

Or if you can go for the Tokina 100mm 2.8 which will do as a macro lens and as a great portrait lens.

Lots of options - I quite like to follow the angry photographer on youtube who gives great reviews on all the lens options.

Good luck
Thanks for this sounds like a good option!

Be aware - no VR on the 18-70.
On the other hand, the 18-55 VRII has a plastic mount, is slower at the long end, and has less range. 70mm takes you into classic portrait lens territory on DX. That said, having played with the 18-55 in a shop, it's light and impressively tiny when collapsed, gets good reviews, and the VR could be useful.

Last edited:
Was looking at the 18-105 today am i correct it is not for DX cameras like my D5300 as it does not have a motor, therefore would be a manual lens?

If it's an AF-S lens it will work properly with your camera - the motor is in the lens.

AL

This is the 18-105 VR, ED, turbo with twin exhaust tail pipes in chrome :D https://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/...zoom/af-s-dx-nikkor-18-105mm-f-3-5-5-6g-ed-vr Sorry but I will pass no comment as to what works with your camera as I do not know.

£220 new, £180ish grey and then second hand. If I were you I would stretch your budget to it. It will not be long enough when you need long, but there again when you need long there will always be a longer lens that you have not got or you cannot afford.

Last edited:
Another vote for the 18-70. They're built really nicely compared to the typical kit offerings. Metal mount (think all the others mentioned are plastic), non-rotating front element and feel solid. Also 4.5 at the long end rather than the usual 5.6. They're a total bargain. No VR but the general quality makes up for that and they're a total bargain.

Thanks everyone I pushed the button on an 18-70 this evening. Not the cheapest (£89) but looks in good nick :) looking forward to being able to zoom! See if I can save up for 70-300 next year!

Just wanted to post a quick update & to say thank you for the advice! Today I received my 18-70 lens and I'm really pleased! I've had various lenses Canon, Fuji & Nikon over time and while it's not one of the most expensive, it's well built quick to focus and got a excellent range! I'm hoping it will last a long time along with my D5300 & I look forward to sharing some images soon! Ordered a 67mm polarizer and should have ordered a uv too but I'll have to put that on my Christmas list!

Just wanted to post a quick update & to say thank you for the advice! Today I received my 18-70 lens and I'm really pleased! I've had various lenses Canon, Fuji & Nikon over time and while it's not one of the most expensive, it's well built quick to focus and got a excellent range! I'm hoping it will last a long time along with my D5300 & I look forward to sharing some images soon! Ordered a 67mm polarizer and should have ordered a uv too but I'll have to put that on my Christmas list!
At the time it would have been a step up from the basic kit lens. I have one and it's been alright for me. The only thing to watch out for is a fault with the zoom mechanism. Mine locked up recently and wouldn't zoom through the full range. It is due to a screw coming loose internally and quite an easy fix. Don't worry yourself about it but if it does happen it doesn't have to mean buying a new lens.

Back