Beginner Budget options for Video with external mic

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been shooting stills for some time, but not really worried about video.
However, my guitar teacher has asked for some advice on what he should look to buy to help him produce decent quality videos to support his lessons - he currently uses the camera on his smart phone, which is OK, but he's looking to step up from that.
The individual videos will probably be within the 30 minute limit for a camera video, so that's not a problem.
His key requirements are a decent sharp image (Full HD is probably sufficient, 4k would be a nice to have) , and most importantly quality sound - so he wants an external mic option.

Any thoughts on what to suggest, his target budget was <£500, but if that's totally unrealistic (which I suspect it is), then what's the cheapest he can get away with?

The best vlogging camera of 2019 given by some magazine or other was a Canon G7X MkIII, saying particular plus points were the ability to livestream without a PC, and to connect an external microphone. Negatives given was it was fairly expensive to buy new and that 4K video clips were capped at 10 minutes.

Maybe within budget secondhand, or maybe some of the other Canon G?X models will do the job.

Depending on the phone he has he might be better upgrading his phone and using something like a rode videomic on a stand plugged into the phone.

When wanting to do video. don't people think of video cameras anymore? Camcorders are not that expensive now, as they seem to have been forgotten about.

To minimize the budget I would start by getting the most out of what he has.

Research shows audio is the most important element for video. People will forgive less that perfect image if they can hear clearly. For mic check out Boya BY-M1 for a cost effective option that may well plug into the smart phone.

Next I’d look at the setup of the scene being filmed to get that looking as good as possible. This might need some attention to lighting, there are lots of budget lighting kits available online.

Once these have been done, if the end result is still lacking then it’s worth look at camera options, including second hand ones to keep within budget.

When wanting to do video. don't people think of video cameras anymore? Camcorders are not that expensive now, as they seem to have been forgotten about.

Yes. I’ve been doing more filming lately and my latest addition is indeed a dedicated cine camera (though way over the budget mentioned here). If you only want a camera for filming these are definitely worth a look.

Back