Budget wide angle Nikon Fx lens?

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all!

I'm finally upgrading to a Nikon D750 after being with a D7100 for a long time! With the upgrade, I need some new FX lenses; I already have a 50 1.8 and a 300 f/4 so I'm just after a nice wide angle. Ideally I'd grab a Nikon 24-70 2.8 but until I save up a little further that's outside of the budget. I'm looking for something around the £300 mark, similar focal range and aperture. Let me know your suggestions! TIA

Cosina / Vivatar / Tamron 19-35 can be had for peanuts as can the Tamron 17-35.

If you are going mid range zoom rather than wide angle as mentioned above the Tamron 28-75 can be bought for very reasonable money compared to the newer 24-70's from Nikon and the other third party companies.

I had the Tamron 19-35 AFD lens when I still had a D3 and D700. Works like a treat and it is pretty good. You can buy them for around £50 used ...... The AF is driven by body motor.

Ideally I'd grab a Nikon 24-70 2.8 but until I save up a little further that's outside of the budget.

Don't overlook the older Nikon 28-70 if you don't need the extra 4mm, a good copy is excellent and good value :)

One thing to consider is the weight of the 2 above

Tamron 28-75 2.8 is about 500g
Nikon 28-70 is almost double that at over 900g.

The 28-70 will probably be a bit too much for a walk around lens, with the camera around your neck style walking about.

Just something to consider.

The 28-70 will probably be a bit too much for a walk around lens, with the camera around your neck style walking about.

Thats why I don't take the 28-70 f2.8 and the D3 out lol. No doubt the optic quality on the Nikon 28-70 f2.8 is superb!

I personally wouldn't walk around with any camera around then neck, let alone a FF with lens. Sling straps are excellent and spread the weight well and you can walk around all day with a D750 and 24-70mm f2.8 in relative comfort.

In terms of a lens, in an ideal world 28mm is a bit too narrow for me (although it's still wide angle) and 24mm is preferable, therefore I'd recommend either a used 24-85mm G VR or used 24-85m f2.8-4 D.

You want a prime or zoom?

I find the 28mm a very pleasing lens with quite a unique look.

Not super wide, but hits a sweet spot for me.

I personally wouldn't walk around with any camera around then neck, let alone a FF with lens. Sling straps are excellent and spread the weight well and you can walk around all day with a D750 and 24-70mm f2.8 in relative comfort.

In terms of a lens, in an ideal world 28mm is a bit too narrow for me (although it's still wide angle) and 24mm is preferable, therefore I'd recommend either a used 24-85mm G VR or used 24-85m f2.8-4 D.

I certainly wouldn't carry the D750 around on the standard strap, I use a custom neck strap, with plenty of width and padding!!:)

I have actually been thinking of a sling strap as the 'pokey out lens ' stance does get on my nerves a bit.

Last edited:
Only ever use a sling strap, far more comfort.

Does anyone actually wear a modern DSLR around their neck? I always have mine on my shoulder.

Lower budget, but consider the 28-85 3.5-4.5 or 28-105 3.5-4.5. I have both, though will move the 28-85 on soon, but both are decent lenses, sensible weight, not too bulky. With your £300 budget I'd spend the rest on a 24mm prime.

Does anyone actually wear a modern DSLR around their neck? I always have mine on my shoulder.

Lower budget, but consider the 28-85 3.5-4.5 or 28-105 3.5-4.5. I have both, though will move the 28-85 on soon, but both are decent lenses, sensible weight, not too bulky. With your £300 budget I'd spend the rest on a 24mm prime.

I seen alot of people wear a DSLR around their neck. Mainly the people that shoot with lower end consumer DSLR with standard 18-55mm kit lens attached .......

When I'm using the D7**, yes! On an OpTech neoprene strap. Tried Arsetraps but don't get on with them, hence sticking with the neck straps.

I've been getting a sore neck with my Tamron 150-600. Any recommendation on a sling? What do you use?

I've been getting a sore neck with my Tamron 150-600. Any recommendation on a sling? What do you use?
Peak design slide, I can walk around all day with my D750 and Tamron 150-600mm on there. You do know you've had it on, but it's not bad at all.

Try a few - I hate the slide but loved by many.

Im using BR Cross shot.

Try a few - I hate the slide but loved by many.

Im using BR Cross shot.
Can the tripod thread on the base of the camera body hold the weight of large lenses on the move

Peak design slide, I can walk around all day with my D750 and Tamron 150-600mm on there. You do know you've had it on, but it's not bad at all.
Do you attach your strap to both of the strap lugs or one strap lug and the tripod thread? Do you walk camera in hand or do you let it swing freely?

Do you attach your strap to both of the strap lugs or one strap lug and the tripod thread? Do you walk camera in hand or do you let it swing freely?
One on the camera lug, one on the tripod plate, and I just let it hang. I know some say you should have an attachment on the lens foot so to not put strain on the lens mount, but as the camera hangs lens down there's no strain on the mount as far as I'm concerned.

I use my PDS on a D ring in the tripod mount and it's great.
I just leave the tripod plate on 99% of the time as I can use it with my tripod and monopod without having to swap fixings all the time. I'm lazy like that ;)

I just hated how it hung doing that.

:wideyed:
I can't see it being any real difference, the location of the fixing on the tripod plate is only about 1cm away from where it would be if you use a d-ring on the tripod plate :confused:

One on the camera lug, one on the tripod plate, and I just let it hang. I know some say you should have an attachment on the lens foot so to not put strain on the lens mount, but as the camera hangs lens down there's no strain on the mount as far as I'm concerned.

Purchased one and it makes such a difference. Thanks snerkler.

Back