Bug in camera

Edit My Images
Yes
Quite literally. I was looking through my eyepiece taking some shots with my new SMC 2.8 28mm lens on my Pentax ME Super and a small bug started walking across the image. Looks like a tiny tiny tick or something. I've taken photos on my phone but unsure how to upload them onto here. Looks like it's on the focusing screen.

Anyone ever had anything like this before, and how on earth do I get rid of it?!

I recall (years ago, when I used slide film), that I got an infestation of tiny bugs on my slide collection. At the time, it seemed that most people knew about this problem. They damaged the slides, I believe that they fed on the emulsion side. If your camera has been kept near a stock of film, it could be a similar problem.

It's probably in the eyepiece and will be some kind of dustmite.
Putting the camera in a plastic bag and in freezer overnight would kill it and be easier than disassemble and clean I suppose.
There will be more than one though and any eggs might survive freeze so need doing again.
It does suggest your storage area is less than ideal -wants to be dry as possible
I did have similar with Canon 300D about 20 years ago.

I remember having the same issue with one of my Nikon digital cameras - gave it a good blow through with a rocket blower (not necessarily advised!) never saw it again.

I recall (years ago, when I used slide film), that I got an infestation of tiny bugs on my slide collection. At the time, it seemed that most people knew about this problem. They damaged the slides, I believe that they fed on the emulsion side. If your camera has been kept near a stock of film, it could be a similar problem.

Thanks for your reply. No, not been kept near any film stock!

It's probably in the eyepiece and will be some kind of dustmite.
Putting the camera in a plastic bag and in freezer overnight would kill it and be easier than disassemble and clean I suppose.
There will be more than one though and any eggs might survive freeze so need doing again.
It does suggest your storage area is less than ideal -wants to be dry as possible
I did have similar with Canon 300D about 20 years ago.

Looks like it could be dustmite actually.

Re: storage, it's kept in it's original pentax leather case (with a silica sachet stuffed inside) and in an old camera bag (also with a couple of silica gels in the bottom)

I remember having the same issue with one of my Nikon digital cameras - gave it a good blow through with a rocket blower (not necessarily advised!) never saw it again.

I did wonder about using a blower. What issues might this cause?

I did wonder about using a blower. What issues might this cause?
Well some warn of it blowing dust around the camera and there is an element of truth to that but if you hold the camera downward it helps and personally I would prefer a bit of dust to a bug :)

Well some warn of it blowing dust around the camera and there is an element of truth to that but if you hold the camera downward it helps and personally I would prefer a bit of dust to a bug :)
Thanks for the advice

Looks like it could be dustmite actually.

Re: storage, it's kept in it's original pentax leather case (with a silica sachet stuffed inside) and in an old camera bag (also with a couple of silica gels in the bottom)
Silica will do next to nothing unless regularly recharged by heating in oven and then it will only reduce humidity in a sealed container.

Silica will do next to nothing unless regularly recharged by heating in oven and then it will only reduce humidity in a sealed container.
That's interesting, didn't know that, thank you.

Maybe catch a spider and put it in with it LOL

Had one in my OM10. I took out the meter batteries and cling filmed it really well. 24hrs in the freezer then let it slowly warm up again and it was gone. It was quite standard to do in my film days.

You are lucky it's not in your lens:-

Think I'm going to book a service with Peter at Asahi Photo anyway, so hopefully that might rid the camera of whatever has found it's way in there!

Back